Catholic and Democrat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nonie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris G:
Unfortunately I think it is because many Catholics do not take their faith seriously. How many times have you heard supposed Catholics say: “I’m Catholic but I don’t agree with the Church on *”
  • Abortion
  • Birth Control
  • The Eucharist
  • The Trinity
  • The authority of the Pope
  • Priest celebacy
  • Male only Priests
And the list goes on.

The only orthodox Catholics that vote for the Democrat are the ones that don’t understand that tax cuts DO help the poor and welfare doesn’t. And that the poor are better helped on the local level, not by some huge wasteful inefficient bureaucracy.

The rest I would suppose are Catholic in name only. Which seems to be the majority.
You sure hit the nail on the head. Remember the old saying about feeding a man vs. teaching him how to catch his own food? The welfare system has taken all of the incentive out of working and one does not value what one is given as opposed to what one earns for him/her self. Tax cuts do, indeed, help the poor. Business owners can afford to build their business, hire more people who then put more tax money into the coffers. Everytime it has been tried, (Kennedy, Reagan, GWBush) it has worked. I don’t understand why more people can’t see that for themselves.

On the bureaucracy, the farther down the food chain you can get the help for those in need, the better. Every layer of government just means more red-tape, deciding who does what, etc.

As for the cafeteria Catholics, if “we” keep electing them, why should they change? After all, it’s all about winning and a politician, either party, would kill to win.
 
mary bobo:
The press has done a fine job of spinning the war as they wish. I will not argue with you because we will never agree on that. I respect your opinion and your right to have it, but I disagree.

True, folks can understand what they hear on this issue. However, (and I know this because I am involved in political consulting with husband) that Valerie Plame’s job was well-known in DC. Her neighbors may not have known, but the politicos did. And if you listen to the attorney who authored the “outing” bill, Val did not qualify.
I actually didn’t mean to get your opinion of the Valerie Plame situation, the Special Prosecutor is still unraveling that one, furthermore, anyone who “knew” about Valerie’s job should probably be called into the Special Prosecutor’s office to have a talk about how they knew and when they found out about it.

I wanted to know what caused you to switch parties, what did the Republicans offer you that made you change parties.
 
mary bobo:
You sure hit the nail on the head. Remember the old saying about feeding a man vs. teaching him how to catch his own food? The welfare system has taken all of the incentive out of working and one does not value what one is given as opposed to what one earns for him/her self. Tax cuts do, indeed, help the poor. Business owners can afford to build their business, hire more people who then put more tax money into the coffers. Everytime it has been tried, (Kennedy, Reagan, GWBush) it has worked. I don’t understand why more people can’t see that for themselves.

On the bureaucracy, the farther down the food chain you can get the help for those in need, the better. Every layer of government just means more red-tape, deciding who does what, etc.

As for the cafeteria Catholics, if “we” keep electing them, why should they change? After all, it’s all about winning and a politician, either party, would kill to win.
The reason that Mother Teresa didn’t subscribe to the the teach a man to fish theory of charity was that it doesn’t work with all cases, welfare is very complicated. Bill Clinton did a lot to reduce the welfare rolls and he was a member of your former party, however since so many folks are interested in his sex life people don’t remember that.

The bureaucracy is what it is, there’s no president or politician who is going to change that for you.

At one time the Church did not allow men born out of wedlock to be priests. Thanks to “cafeteria” Catholics, that changed.

Vatican Two changed a lot of things. Newman said “To live is to change and to be perfect is to have changed often”. That’s how life goes. Keep Evolving!
Waif
 
Wondering Waif:
You haven’t really said why you switched. Personally, I don’t think that anyone who follows any party blindly is showing patriotism.

I think that the reason that folks are not as well informed is that
they’re so tired when they come home that getting them to listen to the issues is an uphill battle.
QUOTE]

Hi,
Well I switched from Democrat to Republican because I felt that abortion was the most important issue. The most tragic issue if you will.

And yes, I believe people just stop listening to all the politicians and their little sound bytes. It is tough to wade through all the talk talk talk and more talk and find the facts. But it is worth a try when it comes to an important issue like abortion. That is how I feel anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Nonie
 
Wondering Waif:
For me, health care and education, but then again, I honestly think that a healthy, well educated nation will not abort their children so indifferently.
Since abortion is your issue, can you tell me how many women who get abortions are poor, uneducated and Catholic?
I know that a few years back I read that the majority of women getting abortions in the Wash DC area were Catholic, do you have any idea why this is so?
Do they have a lack of hope for themselves and their children? Is it to punish the male parent?
Hi Wondering Waif,
Well I am just an average person, not an activist or an expert on abortion, the numbers of women who get them, and their socioeconomic backgrounds etc. Having an abortion to punish someone could happen I suppose but I believe it boils down to women who are either very scared and don’t know where to turn, unhappy in thier lives and feel traped and I suppose many are just thoughtless. Who knows all the reasons. I am sure there are many, as there are many reasons why people do other unthinkable things. If abortions were illegal I believe many would then see abortion as wrong. Sometimes, although not always, people look to the government and other exterior sources, schools etc for their moral compass. Unfortunately many people don’t look to the Church anymore. 😦 income,education, etc would probably play a role, as I said before I don’t have those figures. We need to develop peoples consciences and sense of responsibility not only their resumes! Perhaps you could start a new thread and ask why women have abortions, their income levels and so on, and get some numbers flowing. 👍
Thanks for the reply, nice chatting with you,
Nonie
 
40.png
Nonie:
Wondering Waif:
You haven’t really said why you switched. Personally, I don’t think that anyone who follows any party blindly is showing patriotism.

I think that the reason that folks are not as well informed is that
they’re so tired when they come home that getting them to listen to the issues is an uphill battle.
QUOTE]

Hi,
Well I switched from Democrat to Republican because I felt that abortion was the most important issue. The most tragic issue if you will.

And yes, I believe people just stop listening to all the politicians and their little sound bytes. It is tough to wade through all the talk talk talk and more talk and find the facts. But it is worth a try when it comes to an important issue like abortion. That is how I feel anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Nonie
Thanks, that I can understand. You’re right about the sound bytes, I was amazed at how differently the news portrayed the Oliver North hearings from what actually happened. I was sick that week and got to watch the hearings.
 
40.png
Nonie:
Hi Wondering Waif,
Well I am just an average person, not an activist or an expert on abortion, the numbers of women who get them, and their socioeconomic backgrounds etc. Having an abortion to punish someone could happen I suppose but I believe it boils down to women who are either very scared and don’t know where to turn, unhappy in thier lives and feel traped and I suppose many are just thoughtless. Who knows all the reasons. I am sure there are many, as there are many reasons why people do other unthinkable things. If abortions were illegal I believe many would then see abortion as wrong. Sometimes, although not always, people look to the government and other exterior sources, schools etc for their moral compass. Unfortunately many people don’t look to the Church anymore. 😦 income,education, etc would probably play a role, as I said before I don’t have those figures. We need to develop peoples consciences and sense of responsibility not only their resumes! Perhaps you could start a new thread and ask why women have abortions, their income levels and so on, and get some numbers flowing. 👍
Thanks for the reply, nice chatting with you,
Nonie
If we could figure out why they do it we could stop it. I like the idea about asking women why.
Not to trash them, just to understand.
 
Wondering Waif:
For me, health care and education, but then again, I honestly think that a healthy, well educated nation will not abort their children so indifferently.
Since abortion is your issue, can you tell me how many women who get abortions are poor, uneducated and Catholic?
I know that a few years back I read that the majority of women getting abortions in the Wash DC area were Catholic, do you have any idea why this is so?
Do they have a lack of hope for themselves and their children? Is it to punish the male parent?
Hi Wondering Waif,
You are right, education is important. I am not an expert on abortion, I am not an activist as I metioned before. I was just curious what issues were important to Catholic Democrats.

Many women have real problems that society needs to address. We all know this. However, society can’t be someones conscience. We can’t tell people how to feel or how to have pity or to have compassion etc. Hopelessness would be a cause for the loss of control that may result in an abortion. So income would play a role there I suppose. But many poor women would never dream of aborting their children… this is also true. I imagine it is fear, thoughlessness, or ignorance that is the cause of many abortions. I think we can agree that It is a loose-loose situation in any case. 😦

Perhaps you could start a new thread and ask for background info on those getting abortions?? Sorry I couldn’t help you.

Thanks for the chat!
Nonie
 
Wondering Waif:
If we could figure out why they do it we could stop it. I like the idea about asking women why.
Not to trash them, just to understand.
Sooooo true!!! People need to be respected and not judged in these situations.
 
40.png
Tonks40:
I also see that many Catholics who are Democrat do so out of family tradition (such as in my case).
I understand this. I come from a long line of Democrats 😉
Thanks for sharing,
Nonie
 
I know that a few years back I read that the majority of women getting abortions in the Wash DC area were Catholic, do you have any idea why this is so?
Probably due to the high number of Catholics in that region.
 
Nonie,

You are right! Abortion is the most important issue of our day in America. Abortion not only has KILLED over 45 million babies to date but also has ruined women both physically and psychologically. Just listen to the millions of women who joined a group called SILENT NO MORE. There is no other issue or combination of issues in America which has killed over 45 million people to date!

This is a great oppurtunity for me to post my FAVORITE ALL TIME “Letter to the Editor” Article I have ever read. It’s was written by Dr. Frank Joseph from California to the website listed below…

DO CATHOLICS ENJOY DEMS BASHING THEIR FAITH, OR ARE THEY JUST PLAIN STUPID?

illinoisleader.com/letters/lettersview.asp?c=2476

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the article…

It seems the only way to climb the Democratic political ladder is on the backs of dead children.

the Democratic party will have no part of the truth. The vote is their God, and the children be damned.

Are Catholics stupid, or do they really enjoy being the beneficiaries of name calling by Democrats, who call all people of faith, “the religious right.” If you attend church every week, you are a religious fanatic.

Again, I ask, why do Catholics have to beg the Democratic party to disassociate itself from CFFC (Anti-Catholic Group called Catholics For Free Choice)? They are not Catholic, they just use the name to induce Catholics to condone the killing of unborn children.

Even though the Democratic party is in bed with Planned Parenthood, the leading killers of unborn children in the world and NARAL, the leading boosters of these killings, shouldn’t they have some sense of common decency? Silly question – they kill human beings.

Catholics have just got to start using their God-given brains. If they really don’t know how to use their brains, they should ask God if they should vote for someone who would sign the death warrants to kill His precious children, or someone who would save their lives.

Is it possible that Catholics do not fear going to hell, because of their condoning and propagating the killing of unborn children?

Is it possible that Catholics are masochists and enjoy being called names by the Democratic party, and enjoy their faith being trashed and unborn children being killed?

As you can see, this is AN AWESOME “LETTER TO THE EDITOR” which says it ALL and has many other great points I did not post! Please read it.
 
Wondering Waif:
The reason that Mother Teresa didn’t subscribe to the the teach a man to fish theory of charity was that it doesn’t work with all cases, welfare is very complicated. Bill Clinton did a lot to reduce the welfare rolls …
Dear Wondering Waif,

I notice that after I put up a post dealing with both Mother Teresa and Bill Clinton, you’ve done so as well. Coincidence, or something else?

How do you feel about Mother Teresa’s statement that abortion is the greatest destroyer of peace? And how do you feel about Bill Clinton’s reaction (or lack of reaction) to Mother Teresa’s statement?

At the risk of repeating myself, tell me how Bill and Hillary Clinton, and the Democrat Party, can claim to care so much for the poor and downtrodden when they have absolutely no qualms about supporting the murder of the weakest and most needy human beings.

Before a man can enjoy the taste of fish at all, that man must be born in the first place. The Democrat vision of a mother’s “right to choose,” which Mother Teresa didn’t subscribe to and more clearly called out as “direct murder” is a theory of charity which NEVER works. (But then, abortion is actually completely anti-charity.)

~~ the phoenix
 
I should add I am neither Republican or Democrat but rather an Independent Voter. Although I did vote for President Bush the last two Presidential Elections due to one issue - Supreme Court Appointments.

Yes I had to vote for President Bush because I felt this was one of our only chances to change the Supreme Court to a Pro-Life Court. Knowing 4 openings would come open in the Supreme Court, I knew President Bush was our countries only hope to get 4 Pro-Life Justices on the court, overturn Roe v Wade and give the people and the states back the power to make the decisions on abortion.

I could never vote Democrat again unless they become Pro-Life (against abortion), Pro-Family (against homosexual unions/marriages) and turn against killing human embryo’s. If the Democrats change on these issues, I will give the party another look.

I probably will no longer be voting Democrat or Republican in the future. All the leading candidates for both parties in the upcoming election '08 are Pro-Abortion. I will vote my FAITH and most likely vote Independent even if the candidate has no chance to win. At least I can tell God I voted my FAITH on JUDGEMENT DAY!
 
Wondering Waif:
For me, health care and education, but then again, I honestly think that a healthy, well educated nation will not abort their children so indifferently.
But the healthiest, most educated countries have the highest abortion rates. So why would that change with more health and more education?
 
According to the Church, a Catholic cannot in good conscience vote for anyone who supports abortion. Regardless of all the other issues, you cannot vote for anyone who supports, or is involved with a party who supports, abortion.
 
40.png
pira114:
According to the Church, a Catholic cannot in good conscience vote for anyone who supports abortion. Regardless of all the other issues, you cannot vote for anyone who supports, or is involved with a party who supports, abortion.
So according to your understanding, a Catholic couldn’t voted for a prolife Democrat, such as the junior Bob Casey who is the apparent party nominee for the US Senate next year as he is involved with the Democrat party?

Or even vote for a Democrat for prothonatary or judge of elections?
 
Hmmmm…thats a good question.

why are so many Catholics democrats?
…because if you adhered to church teaching or read a voters guide for serious Catholics I would think that the likely choice would be quite a different one.
 
40.png
spacecadet:
i think a better question is

Why aren’t more Catholics or anyone for that matter Independents? And Why aren’t more politicians independents? The whole 2 party system does our country a great disservice. I am waiting for a candidate that is truly pro-life from conception to NATURAL death, cares about helping the poor and family values.

the two parties are opposite extremes. that is how satan works with divisive extremism
I agree with you that the two-party system does not work. Neither party seems attractive to me, however, I tend to vote for Democrats, but I research each candidate and their platforms before voting. I never vote one party. As for why I don’t use pro-life as the only determinate for voting, I truly have a hard time believing that any candidate, whether pro-life or not, will or can do anything to stop it.
 
40.png
Kielbasi:
So according to your understanding, a Catholic couldn’t voted for a prolife Democrat, such as the junior Bob Casey who is the apparent party nominee for the US Senate next year as he is involved with the Democrat party?

Or even vote for a Democrat for prothonatary or judge of elections?
Yes. If a person supports the party he belongs to, and that party largely supports abortion, you should not be voting for anyone in that party as a Catholic. Even if the candidate says he’s anit-abortion, he’s part of the Democratic party and supports them. Same would go for Republicans. As you might guess, I don’t do a lot of voting for people. I vote on issues. I cannot, and will not, vote for anyone who supports abortion. There are other issues that make me not want to vote for most candidates, but this thread seemed to be asking mostly about abortion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top