Catholic and Democrat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nonie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
mary bobo:
Or perhaps they vote for the party who handles the issue more to their liking. One candidate alone cannot accomplish anything without a party behind him/her. Think about it.
Why not structure the political system so that we CAN vote on issues instead of people? I think that the current setup (while maybe a good idea a long time ago) is kinda a joke. I feel like politics is just picking the lesser of two evils and the whole dang system should be revamped so I don’t feel the need to compromise on two important issues, such as abortion and social justice issues.

I am independent right now because no party seriously does it for me. I don’t feel like any party is getting it right and I would much rather vote to outlaw one thing and support another rather than choosing between the two.

Eamon
 
40.png
turboEDvo:
Why not structure the political system so that we CAN vote on issues instead of people? I think that the current setup (while maybe a good idea a long time ago) is kinda a joke. I feel like politics is just picking the lesser of two evils and the whole dang system should be revamped so I don’t feel the need to compromise on two important issues, such as abortion and social justice issues.

I am independent right now because no party seriously does it for me. I don’t feel like any party is getting it right and I would much rather vote to outlaw one thing and support another rather than choosing between the two.

Eamon
Not a few people agree with you, I am sure. But in the wisdom of the founding fathers we have a republic in which we elect representatives to cast votes on issues for us. If you think about it, do you really want the same states deciding all issues as would be the case if the system worked as you wish. The populations of the very liberal coasts would decide issues and those of us who are more conservative (note, I did not say conservative with a capital C) would be over-ridden most of the time.

Or, we could have a parliamentary form of government, but can you think of a country that has this form of government that has attained the greatness of the US?

I get disgusted many times, as you seem to be, but when I look at the alternatives, I think I prefer to keep it the way it is.
 
I have voted Republican in the past. The reason is I view the Republican Party by far as “the lessor of two evils” since over 45 million unborn babies have been murdered by abortion. There is no other issue or combination of issues which have killed over 45 million people like abortion. I also voted for President Bush because I saw the importance of getting Pro-Life Supreme Court Justices on the court like Roberts and Alito. These are very important picks since they are LIFETIME APPOINTMENTS.

In the future, I will vote Independent. I have become more humble and have finally accepted Judy Brown’s advice of the American Life League that we must not give in to voting “the lessor of two evils”. The “lessor of two evils” is still evil. Therefore I will now be an Independent Voter who will only vote 100% Pro-Life (for the protection of all life from conception to natural death, for keeping marriage an institution ONLY between a man and a woman which is the way God intended marriage, against human embryonic stem cell research which kills humans for the benefit of other humans and etc).

I am hoping an Independent maybe of the likes of a Dr. Alan Keyes can run and become President of the United States. It’s a possibility this could happen in the next election if only Catholics vote their faith 100% because the frontrunners in '08 for both parties all look to be Pro-Abortion. Remember on Judgement Day we should not be telling God we voted for the frontrunner but rather for the candidate who would follow God’s Will.

2006 is an election a good independent can win although we will have to persuade Catholics to vote their faith 100% and we can return America back to a “Culture of Life”!!!

Do You Plan to Devote Time to Elect Pro-Life Candidates in the 2006 Election?

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=89530

Alan Keyes Teaches Sex Education Lesson to Homosexual Interviewer

keyes2004.com/news/040907mostert.php

Click on "HERE" to Listen to the entire interview!!!

Editor’s note: An MP3 audio of Alan’s comments is available here.**


forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?p=920709#post920709

spiritdaily.com/

renewamerica.us/
 
40.png
PLAL:
I
I am hoping an Independent maybe of the likes of a Dr. Alan Keyes can run and become President of the United States. It’s a possibility this could happen in the next election if only Catholics vote their faith 100% because the frontrunners in '08 for both parties all look to be Pro-Abortion. Remember on Judgement Day we should not be telling God we voted for the frontrunner but rather for the candidate who would follow God’s Will.

2006 is an election a good independent can win although we will have to persuade Catholics to vote their faith 100% and we can return America back to a “Culture of Life”!!!

/
Unfortunatley your position, admirable as it is, will make it more likely pro-abortion candidates will be elected.
 
40.png
PLAL:
I have voted Republican in the past. The reason is I view the Republican Party by far as “the lessor of two evils” since over 45 million unborn babies have been murdered by abortion. There is no other issue or combination of issues which have killed over 45 million people like abortion. I also voted for President Bush because I saw the importance of getting Pro-Life Supreme Court Justices on the court like Roberts and Alito. These are very important picks since they are LIFETIME APPOINTMENTS.

You are so right about the SC nominations. Hope Alito makes it, although it is evident that the libs (radical ones) are going to do everything in their power to thwart the nomination.

In the future, I will vote Independent. I have become more humble and have finally accepted Judy Brown’s advice of the American Life League that we must not give in to voting “the lessor of two evils”. The “lessor of two evils” is still evil. Therefore I will now be an Independent Voter who will only vote 100% Pro-Life (for the protection of all life from conception to natural death, for keeping marriage an institution ONLY between a man and a woman which is the way God intended marriage, against human embryonic stem cell research which kills humans for the benefit of other humans and etc).

All of these thoughts are right on, but to vote for an independent at this time in history is a wasted vote. And in so doing, you might end up helping to elect one who is opposed to all you, and I, would like to achieve. A single president cannot do alone what we want done.

I am hoping an Independent maybe of the likes of a Dr. Alan Keyes can run and become President of the United States. It’s a possibility this could happen in the next election if only Catholics vote their faith 100% because the frontrunners in '08 for both parties all look to be Pro-Abortion. Remember on Judgement Day we should not be telling God we voted for the frontrunner but rather for the candidate who would follow God’s Will.

Alan Keyes is a wonderful man who would make a great president, IMO, but also IMO he has absolutely no chance of being elected even if he could get nominated. I kind of look for John McCain to run as an independent, in spite of what he has said because there is no way the GOP will give him the nomination.

2006 is an election a good independent can win although we will have to persuade Catholics to vote their faith 100% and we can return America back to a “Culture of Life”!!!

As I said before, sad as it is, there is no way an independent can be elected at this time. There are too many folks who will voted GOP or Dem “because my family always has” and an independent does not have a chance. Maybe if the time ever comes that folks think with their brains and not with their feelings, we can make better progress.

Before you jump–this is only my opinion.​

Do You Plan to Devote Time to Elect Pro-Life Candidates in the 2006 Election?

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=89530

Alan Keyes Teaches Sex Education Lesson to Homosexual Interviewer

keyes2004.com/news/040907mostert.php

Click on "HERE" to Listen to the entire interview!!!

Editor’s note: An MP3 audio of Alan’s comments is available here.


forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?p=920709#post920709

spiritdaily.com/

renewamerica.us/
 
40.png
estesbob:
Unfortunatley your position, admirable as it is, will make it more likely pro-abortion candidates will be elected.
estesbob,

Although I agree with about 98% of your posts I have read, I will have to agree to disagree with you on your statement. I used to agree with your statement but after many years thinking about the issue I found out “voting the lessor of two evils” will never work. You must also agree “voting the lessor of two evils” is still evil. If I wanted to either rob a convenience store or kill someone, I would not decide to rob a convenience store because it is the “lessor of two evils” so to speak.

America has been voting “the lessor of two evils” for many years now and while we have made minor improvements, we have never gotten rid of major evils. In fact, where will we be in 2008 as far as Presidential Candidates for 2008 in the Republican & Democratic Party? They will all be PRO-ABORTION CANDIDATES…

Democrats (Dean, Hilary Clinton, Sharpton etc)

Republican (Guliani, Schwartzenegger, McCain etc)

Voting the “lessor of two evils” has now given us nothing but Pro-Abortion candidates in the two party system.

If you want to continue to vote “the lessor of two evils” and vote for one of these candidates who will continue the legalization of murdering 4,000 innocent babies each day in the U.S. then so be it. I would rather look to an Independent Party who would be looking to overturn Roe v. Wade and save our unborn babies. It’s time we put our faith in God and vote God’s Will!

Catholics are a very large voting block which can control the election. We need to urge Catholics to vote 100% God’s Will and find the right Independent Candidate to win the White House in 2008!
 
mary bobo:
I kind of look for John McCain to run as an independent, in spite of what he has said because there is no way the GOP will give him the nomination.
McCain is Pro-Abortion.
 
40.png
PLAL:
I know some posters have questioned whether President Bush is Pro-Life. I just wanted to list these points…
  1. Fr. Peter West was tracking President Bush’s Pro-Life accomplishments on a day to day basis thru 5-18-04. Here they are freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1140835/posts
I noticed that no one commented on this link.

It is a fabulous list. Thanks for posting it.
 
Just one more point on why we should look for a 100% Pro-Life Independent Candidate…

Neither the Republican nor Democratic Convension’s will let any Pro-Life Party members speak at their convensions. Remember a while ago the Democratic Party would not let Pro-Lifer Casey speak at their convension. Then just recently the Republican Convension would not allow Pro-Lifer Dr. Alan Keyes speak at their convension.

Not only that but the networks will not allow a Pro-Lifer in the Presidential Debates. I remember Dr. Keyes running as an independent in the Presidential Election about 10 years ago. The networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS) would not allow Keyes (the independent candidate) in the debates. The cable stations did allow Keyes in the Presidential debates when they were initiating the debates. Just another reason why we need to get rid of the two party system.

Both parties are headed in the wrong direction – its just the Democratic Party (Pro-Abortion, Pro-Homosexual Marriage, Pro Embryonic Stem Cell Research, etc) is moving at a faster pace in the wrong direction than the Republican Party.

2008 could be the year for an Independent Pro-Life Candidate to win! Both the Democrats & Republicans will be running Pro-Abortion candidates and if people vote their faith – it will only take 34% of the vote to get a Pro-Life Independent President into the White House.
 
40.png
CatQuilt:
I noticed that no one commented on this link.

It is a fabulous list. Thanks for posting it.
I noticed that also. That was post #108 on this thread. Thank God someone is out there keeping a scorecard!

Although I still think we need to turn to a 3rd Party in order to make large strides back to a Culture of Life.
 
40.png
PLAL:
estesbob,

Although I agree with about 98% of your posts I have read, I will have to agree to disagree with you on your statement. I used to agree with your statement but after many years thinking about the issue I found out “voting the lessor of two evils” will never work. You must also agree “voting the lessor of two evils” is still evil. If I wanted to either rob a convenience store or kill someone, I would not decide to rob a convenience store because it is the “lessor of two evils” so to speak.

!
I guess it depends on what you call the lesser of two evils. Is pro-life better served by having George Bush in office than John Kerry? I think so.

I will agree in one respect-I will not vote for someon who is pro-abortion regardless of the circumstances. So if that is what you mean by lesser of two evils we are in agreement. Thus Guliani or Swartzneneger have has no chance of getting my vote. I beleive however, that john Mccain is pro-life.

**On “Meet the Press,” McCain said he had “come to the conclusion that the exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother are legitimate exceptions” to an outright ban on abortions. “I don’t claim to be a theologian, but I have my moral beliefs.” If Roe v. Wade is overturned and abortion outlawed, McCain said he believes doctors who performed abortions would be prosecuted. “But I would not prosecute a woman” who obtained an abortion. **
**Source: Boston Globe, p. A9 Jan 31, 2000 **
 
40.png
estesbob:
I guess it depends on what you call the lesser of two evils. Is pro-life better served by having George Bush in office than John Kerry? I think so.

I will agree in one respect-I will not vote for someon who is pro-abortion regardless of the circumstances. So if that is what you mean by lesser of two evils we are in agreement. Thus Guliani or Swartzneneger have has no chance of getting my vote. I beleive however, that john Mccain is pro-life.

**On “Meet the Press,” McCain said he had “come to the conclusion that the exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother are legitimate exceptions” to an outright ban on abortions. “I don’t claim to be a theologian, but I have my moral beliefs.” If Roe v. Wade is overturned and abortion outlawed, McCain said he believes doctors who performed abortions would be prosecuted. “But I would not prosecute a woman” who obtained an abortion. **
**Source: Boston Globe, p. A9 Jan 31, 2000 **
I really believe McCain is Pro-Abortion. The fact he makes the case there should be exceptions for rape & incest is the same thing we here from many prominent Pro-Abortion groups. The fact is any exceptions is the same thing as having ALL ABORTIONS ON DEMAND. The fact Pro-Aborts John Kerry and Hilary Clinton have looked at McCain as a possible running mate even adds more to my doubts on McCain.

I do not like the fact McCain wants exceptions for rape and incest. Unborn babies who begin life as a result of rape & incest are humans too. It just goes to show McCain does not even understand the Abortion issue.

(The Cindy & Jennifer Speltz Story
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=83073 ).

I also do not care for the fact McCain left his wife while she was sick and needed him most. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the man (If you want to call him a “man”). How could you leave your wife while she needs you at a very important time? If he is not willing to stand by his wife at a time of need, why would he stand up for the unborn & the rest of the American people. McCain is too much of a risk.

I think if you are settling for McCain, well then as I stated before you are settling for the “lessor of two evils” which is still EVIL. I think we can do better and that’s why I think a Pro-Life Independent Candidate will be the answer!

How John McCain Threatens the Pro-Life Cause
peopleforlife.org/mccainthreatensprolife.html

John McCain Finds Abortion Necessary
rnclife.org/faxnotes/1999/aug99/99-08-26.shtml

Keyes Blasts McCain on the Abortion Issue
euthanasia.com/keyes2.html
 
40.png
PLAL:
I do not like the fact McCain wants exceptions for rape and incest. Unborn babies who begin life as a result of rape & incest are humans too. It just goes to show McCain does not even understand the Abortion issue.

l
I dont know if Mccain is pro-life or not. I have seen nothing to indicate he is not but then I havent done much research on him-if he runs in 2008 i will. I dont like the fact that he , like Bush, supports abortion in the case of rape and incest but then we have to make sure that we dont let the “perfect” become the enemy of “the possible”.

In the last two elections we had a choice between a canidate who opposed abortion except in very limited situations running against candidates who supported abortions in nearly every case . In both cases I voted for Bush-his pro-life credentials were strong, IMO amd IO did not coinsider it voting for the lesser of two evils

If 700 pro-life adherents in Fla in 2000 had voted for Keyes instead of Bush Gore would have won. Do you think that result would have been better for the pro-life movement?

This is somehat of an interesintg exchange for me. As a long time counselor in a Crisis Preganancy Center and one who supports the cause with both my time and money this is just about the first time I have had my commitment to life questioned.
 
There is a group called Democrats for Life…or something lilke that. Anyway, you don’t have to be pro-choice to be a Democrat.

I think it is terrible that the D. Party has become synomynous with abortion rights…I know I spelled that wrong…Anyway, it’s a shame, and more pro-life Democrats should speak up…Take their party back, so to speak.
 
Catholic Heart:
There is a group called Democrats for Life…or something lilke that. Anyway, you don’t have to be pro-choice to be a Democrat.

I think it is terrible that the D. Party has become synomynous with abortion rights…I know I spelled that wrong…Anyway, it’s a shame, and more pro-life Democrats should speak up…Take their party back, so to speak.
I agree with you. I wish the Democrats for Life would speak up, but do you think the party fathers have a stranglehold on them. It happens in politics, you know, both parties.
 
prolife in the democratic party isnt going to happen anytime soon. the democratic party is the party of loony liberal causes, from fighting the non existant problem of global warming to giving gays special rights . Catholics have no business being involved in the currents democratic party. for to be suitable for Catholics again they need to get rid of the proabortion stance,and alliance with the aclu.
 
40.png
aspawloski4th:
prolife in the democratic party isnt going to happen anytime soon. the democratic party is the party of loony liberal causes, from fighting the non existant problem of global warming to giving gays special rights . Catholics have no business being involved in the currents democratic party. for to be suitable for Catholics again they need to get rid of the proabortion stance,and alliance with the aclu.
Since parties often vote in a block I would not vote for a pro-life candidate for congress if they were a Democrat. For example in Pa even if Casey is as every bit as Pro-life as Santorum voting for Casey harms the pro-life movement. His goal as a Democrat Senator will be to help the Democrats regain the Senate and increase the power of his party. Since his party supports taxpayer supported abortions until the moment the head fully exits the Birth canal his support of that party trumps any proi-life views he has. in short, IMO , “pro-life Democrat” is an oxymoron.

.
 
I’m a lifelong Democrat. I vote Democratic because of my Catholic upbringing. In my state, I see the first Republican govenor in 50 years, cutting funding to my childern’s public schools, raising tution at the state colleges, cutting funding for programs like WIC and food stamps. The Republican controlled congress has done the same thing. I also don’t support the wat in Iraq. I think it’s deplorable that the Republican controlled congress is cutting Veterans benefits. I find it deplorable that advisors to the President have suggested that most of the disgnoses of PTS disorder from returning soldiers are fraudualant and that veterans’ mental health care is an “extra frill” that we shouldn’t be paying for. As for Alito being pro-life, I guess it depends on your definition. Last week, I listened to the hearings on C-SPAN radio. He was asked if a person has a Constitution right to not be executed if new evidence could prove he was innocent. Alito wouldn’t answer the question. He was asked it a couple times and he finally replied that a prisoner has to follow the law and if procedure was followed in all his apeals, the execution order would stand. So, basically, he said that the governement had a right to execute an innocent man. How’s that for pro-life?
SAHmommy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top