Catholic and Democrat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nonie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
SAHmommy:
He was asked if a person has a Constitution right to not be executed if new evidence could prove he was innocent. Alito wouldn’t answer the question. He was asked it a couple times and he finally replied that a prisoner has to follow the law and if procedure was followed in all his apeals, the execution order would stand. So, basically, he said that the governement had a right to execute an innocent man. How’s that for pro-life?
SAHmommy,

You need to step back and look at this from another perspective. How do you know that the “new evidence” would prove his innocence? You have to try the evidence in a court of law and determine if it is credible. What is the cut-off line as to what you re-try? If you say “any” evidence, then all a death-row inmate has to do is make up some evidence, however flimsy or thin, and his death sentence is stalled until the court evaluates it and says it doesn’t cut the mustard. If the court then says it doesn’t cut the mustard, the inmate then demands a writ of habeas corpus because he claims his attorney was innept and therefore he was denied due process. Then an appeal. Then another. Then he’s back on death-row trying to figure out what new evidence he’ll come up with this time.

If, however, you place a limit on what new evidence he’ll be able to introduce, you’re begging the question by evaluating the evidence outside of a court of law (which is manifestly unjust → appeal).

And this is after a grand jury has indicted him, another jury has found him guilty, yet another jury has sentenced him to death, and several appeals have found the process to have been just according to our legal system.

So what does the constitution demand?

Do you see how the new evidence question was a bit of a trap?
If you say yes, you’ll break the system.
If you say no, you’re heartless and anti-life.

If you’re anti-death penalty, organize (or join) a movement to abolish it. The fact remains that it is legal in several states, and Judge Alito was asked a legal opinion on the matter.

I’d say Judge Alito answered just fine. Please pray that he holds firm to the convictions of the faith in which he was raised (which, BTW, does not claim that the death penalty is always wrong - unlike abortion).

God Bless,
RyanL
 
40.png
spacecadet:
i think a better question is

Why aren’t more Catholics or anyone for that matter Independents? And Why aren’t more politicians independents? The whole 2 party system does our country a great disservice. I am waiting for a candidate that is truly pro-life from conception to NATURAL death, cares about helping the poor and family values.

the two parties are opposite extremes. that is how satan works with divisive extremism
:clapping:
 
40.png
spacecadet:
i think a better question is

Why aren’t more Catholics or anyone for that matter Independents? And Why aren’t more politicians independents? The whole 2 party system does our country a great disservice. I am waiting for a candidate that is truly pro-life from conception to NATURAL death, cares about helping the poor and family values.

the two parties are opposite extremes. that is how satan works with divisive extremism
Thank you. I agree. I’m independent as well.

Eamon
 
Well, here is what I do. I don’t know if it’s right or not. What do you all think?
I am registered as a dem. But I’m a dino (democrat in name only, get it?). I figure I can at least vote in the primaries for the pro-life candidates and influence who the dems get to put in for the major elections. If there is no pro-lifer, I pass that section. Then, in the major elections, I vote pro-life first, and consider other issues after that. Which means I pretty much never vote for a democrat.

I have a question. I have seen the US Bishops are supporting national healthcare (unless I was mistaken). Do you think that is wise? After all, that would guarantee, at least with our current laws, that all Catholic citizens will be paying for abortions and contraceptives with their tax dollars. Not only that, but with recent developments, it seems assured that we would be supporting euthanasia as well. Besides, do we really want the government running our health care: saying which doctors we can go to, what treatments will be payed for, if you are allowed to have a feeding tube, etc.? What if they decide that only your first 2 or 3 children will be eligible for coverage if you don’t use artificial contraception, or some such nonsense. It’s not inconceivable that this could happen. Has the government really shown itself to be so great at running things? Need I point fingers at fema, just to start? Nationalized healthcare seems to be a big democratic rallying point so that is why I am posing the question here.
 
I give up! Politics drive me crazy! Why can’t we just vote on different issues and make a conglomeration of traits and a stick figure… or have a moral person run for president!? I give up! What is our system going to come to? AHHH! I think I am registered with the Republican party, but just don’t want to have to deal with any of it!

Laura 😛
 
40.png
PLAL:
Similiar Thread…

Catholics for Brownback!

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?p=1252539#post1252539

Check out this awesome blog in support of Senator Brownback. It does seem that Senator Brownback will be running for President in 2008, and we need to support him. He is a virtual unknown right now, but if he continues to be the voice of the pro-life movement as he’s been in the Supreme Court nomination procedures he will pick up momentum.

catholicsforbrownback.blogspot.com/
Right on!! 👍 I’m a Brownbacker!
 
You are exactly right. The minute a nominee would clearly state a pro-life position, his or her nomination would be history. Look at the slimey behavior of the Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee - and this was towards a good man, a thoughtful and well-regarded justice. They should be ashamed of themselves. The treatment of both Chief Justice John Roberts and of Justice Samuel Alito was appalling - I will not vote for the Democratic party as long as the kind of behavior seen in the hearings is the party standard and those type of senators are their leaders. Apparently, unless one comes out as an abortion advocate, the Democrats will always vote “no” on a nomination. George Bush cannot overturn Roe by executive order, only our courts can overturn or restrict it.
 
Katie,

You are so right on there! The democrats did treat Sam Alito and John roberts like ****. Sam Alito is a fellow Roman Catholic, and I cannot say enough good things about him. I am hoping that what they have begun this week is only the beginning of great things to come . I pray that there will one day be one who does support pro-life!

Laura in Sunset 👍
 
40.png
estesbob:
Cant be true-the Pope would NEVER invove himself in the party politics. There were some comment from a Cardinal about not voting for pro-abortion politicians but not all Democrast are pro-abortion
I think you are right, the Pope would never say to vote a certain party.

However on your second point. I can’t think of any prolife Democrats in Illinois. Help me if anyone knows of any.
 
So, in theory, let us suppose a candidate up for election believes in the following:
  1. Elimination of poverty
  2. Education for everyone
  3. Healthcare for everyone
but suppose he had one little flaw: he was a Nazi who supported the mass killing of Jews.

Are you justified in voting for him? If not, would that make you an “ignorant” one-issue voter?

Just curious…
 
40.png
Jocelyn:
I don’t have TV (by choice after my daughter was born) so I would like to be educated.

What is Bush actively doing to overturn Roe vs Wade?

Does anyone speculate that Roe vs Wade will be overturned during the Bush administration?
For one: He appointed two Supreme Court Justices that will stick to ruling on law and not making new law. They are prolife and this will be good. They would vote to overturn Roe v Wade, since this was not based on the Constitution.
 
40.png
Fitz:
I think you are right, the Pope would never say to vote a certain party.

However on your second point. I can’t think of any prolife Democrats in Illinois. Help me if anyone knows of any.
By going to www.democratsforlife.org, I was able to find the following pro-life candidates:
William Haine for Senate
Code:
		   			  			[  			Bill Grunloh](http://www.legis.state.il.us/house/Rep.asp?MemberID=882) for 108th District

		   			  			Congressman-Elect Dan Lipinski

		  			U.S. Congressman  			[  		Jerry Costello](http://www.congress.org/congressorg/bio/?id=224&congress=1082&lvl=C)

		   			  			[Bill Scheurer](http://www.congressforpeace.com/)  61st  District
God Bless,
RyanL
 
40.png
mike182d:
So, in theory, let us suppose a candidate up for election believes in the following:
  1. Elimination of poverty
  2. Education for everyone
  3. Healthcare for everyone
but suppose he had one little flaw: he was a Nazi who supported the mass killing of Jews.

Are you justified in voting for him? If not, would that make you an “ignorant” one-issue voter?

Just curious…
No replies?
 
Politics aren’t what they used to be, we all know that. I don’t follow them too closely but it doesn’t really seem to matter who’s Democrat or Republican anymore. Afterall, abortion is still legal.
40.png
Nonie:
Thought I would ask a question that I have had for a long time. Why are so many Catholics Democrats? Now this interested me because at one time I was a Democrat but had HUGE reservations when I noticed how strongly most Democratic politicians defended the woman’s “right to choose.” I was pro-life then but wasn’t an activist and always told myself that there are other issues besides this one issue that needed to be given equal weight (death penalty, the environment, poverty etc). I have since seen that this issue is a much graver, more ominous one than I had previously given it credit. What hope is there when a Mother takes the life of her own child? Abortion seems to sum up our inhumanity to man in one devastating act.
Soooo…
My question is this,
What issue is more important to you than abortion as a Catholic?

Thanks,
Nonie

PS…some quotes to ponder 🙂

“I support welfare reform that strengthens family and requires work. Because a caring society will value its weakest members, we must make a place for the unborn child.” George W.Bush

“I believe that choice is a woman’s choice. It’s between a woman, God and her doctor.” John Kerry

“The Democratic Party stands behind the right of every woman to choose, consistent with Roe v. Wade, and regardless of ability to pay…” Source: The Democratic Platform for America, p.36 Jul 10, 2004

“We believe it is a fundamental constitutional liberty that individual Americans – not government – can best take responsibility for making the most difficult and intensely personal decisions regarding reproduction.” 1996 Democratic National Platform

“We say the unborn child has a fundamental right to life… We oppose using public revenues for abortion and will not fund organizations which advocate it.”
Source: Republican Platform adopted at GOP National Convention Aug 12, 2000
 
40.png
mrs_abbott:
Politics aren’t what they used to be, we all know that. I don’t follow them too closely but it doesn’t really seem to matter who’s Democrat or Republican anymore. Afterall, abortion is still legal.
Would we be any closer to overturning Roe v. Wade right now had a Democrat, John Kerry, been elected? Are we closer to overturning Roe v. Wade with Bush?
 
Looks like we’re still where we were since Roe v. Wade first happened in the 70s. The war in Iraq takes priority and if there wasn’t a war going on, the abortion issue always seems to be pushed to the back-burner, unfortunately. 😦
40.png
mike182d:
Would we be any closer to overturning Roe v. Wade right now had a Democrat, John Kerry, been elected? Are we closer to overturning Roe v. Wade with Bush?
 
40.png
mike182d:
Would we be any closer to overturning Roe v. Wade right now had a Democrat, John Kerry, been elected? Are we closer to overturning Roe v. Wade with Bush?
I know some posters have questioned whether President Bush is Pro-Life. I just wanted to list these points…
  1. I believe both of President Bush’s Supreme Court Appointments are Pro-Life (Roberts & Alito). Only time will tell but I really think both will vote Pro-Life. We all know the best way to stop abortion right now is through prayer, everyone discussing the topic with family, work & friends and to get Pro-Life Supreme Court Justices appointed to overturn Roe v Wade. This will send the power back to the states and the people to decide the ultimate fate of abortion.
  2. There seem to be many doubters Roe v Wade will be overturned. Believe me, its going to happen & its going to happen much quicker than many think.
  3. Fr. Peter West was tracking President Bush’s Pro-Life accomplishments on a day to day basis thru 5-18-04. Here they are freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1140835/posts
  4. I am an Independent Voter. We know the Democratic Party is Pro-Abortion. I feel the Republic Party is for the most part Pro-Life although I think there are times when the Republican Party would rather keep on putting off the overturning of Roe v Wade so they can keep the “Pro Life Vote” as long as possible. Although it took me many years to realize this, I am now totally convinced voting “the lessor of two evils” will never bring about change in our country. In conclusion, if Catholics would just vote their faith and vote as a voting block for just one time; the abortion debate would be done & over for good.
  5. I have to plug Dr. Frank Joseph just one more time for my favorite “Letter to the Editor” of all time illinoisleader.com/lette…view.asp?c=2476
See Above Series of Posts starting by myself on December 27, 2005 at 10:51PM.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top