Catholic Church founded by Jesus?

• Thread starter Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should receive the Eucharist once a year but it is not a mortal sin if one does not.
That is not correct. It is not a case of “should” receive Communion once a year, it is an obligation to receive during the Easter period every year. It is indeed a mortal sin not to do this assuming a person knows it is a sin of grave matter and commits the sin anyway.

CCC 1389 The Church obliges the faithful to take part in the Divine Liturgy on Sundays and feast days and, prepared by the sacrament of Reconciliation, to receive the Eucharist at least once a year, if possible during the Easter season. But the Church strongly encourages the faithful to receive the holy Eucharist on Sundays and feast days, or more often still, even daily.

Last edited:
Augustine said leave your teeth and belly behind, that we eat Him spiritually when we believe, as per Peter’s confession on whom the Lord is.
It is not an either/or but a both/and…

Augustine

You ought to know that you have received what you are going to receive, and what you ought to receive daily. That bread which you see on the altar having been sanctified by the word of God is the body of Christ, That chalice, or rather, what is in that chalice, having been sanctified by the word of God, is the blood of Christ ( Sermons 227 [ A.D. 411 ]).

What you see is the bread and the chalice, that is what your own eyes report to you. But what your faith obliges you to accept is that the bread is the body of Christ and the chalice is the blood of Christ. This has been said very briefly, which may perhaps be sufficient for faith, yet faith does not desire instruction (ibid. 272).

40.png
ArchStanton:
Trust in the Church…
Like the Bereans , trust and verify, especially when the ecclessia is sectarian.( Please correct me if by church you mean the Roman Catholic Church exclusively).
The only Church that Christ established…

Acts 9:31-32 The CHURCH THROUGHOUT all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria was at peace. It was being built up and walked in the fear of the Lord, and with the consolation of the holy Spirit it grew in numbers.

As PETER was passing THROUGH EVERY REGION , he went down to the holy ones living in Lydda.

Jn 10:15-16 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice , and there will be ONE FLOCK, ONE SHEPHERD .

1 Cor 1:10 I urge you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you AGREE in what you say , and that there be NO DIVISIONS among you , but that you be UNITED in the same mind and in the same purpose .

Eph 4:3-6 striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace: ONE BODY and ONE SPIRIT , as you were also called to the one hope of your call; one Lord, ONE FAITH , one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Last edited:
These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice , and there will be ONE FLOCK, ONE SHEPHERD .
“These also I (Jesus) must lead, and they will hear my (Jesus) voice , and there will be ONE FLOCK, ONE SHEPHERD .(Jesus)”

The priest didn’t call us Jesus freaks for nothing. We are not of any other flock but His.

Last edited:
40.png
ArchStanton:
These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice , and there will be ONE FLOCK, ONE SHEPHERD .
“These also I (Jesus) must lead, and they will hear my (Jesus) voice , and there will be ONE FLOCK, ONE SHEPHERD .(Jesus)”

The priest didn’t call us Jesus freaks for nothing. We are not of any other flock but His.
Jn 21:15-17 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter , “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “ FEED MY LAMBS .” He then said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “ TEND MY SHEEP .” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” [Jesus] said to him, “ FEED MY SHEEP .

[“tend (Gr.– poimaine —’ shepherd ’) my sheep ”.]

How do we know Peter was called to shepherd the entire flock? How many of the sheep belong to Jesus? All of them . So how many of his sheep did Jesus entrust to St. Peter to shepherd? All of them .

Last edited:
40.png
Stephen_says:
It seems to me that the OP wants a list posted here of specific direct quotes from the sources that show the Catholic Church is the church founded by Christ
Yes. That is all that I’m asking for. Thank you. If someone asks what the Bible teaches, we go to the text. If we wants to know what Clement or Ignatius and Irenaeus taught, we go to the text.
You mean like the book of Eusibius on the Early church? You have not heard of Eusibius?

That is not correct. It is not a case of “should” receive Communion once a year, it is an obligation to receive during the Easter period every year. It is indeed a mortal sin not to do this assuming a person knows it is a sin of grave matter and commits the sin anyway.
This is what I said but to someone who struggles to believe our
Church. There are people who are in a state of mortal sin because of invalid marriage or some other reason who cannot receive the Eucharist at any time. For them NOT receiving is NOT committing a mortal sin. There are many others who cannot receive for other reasons and they are not committing a mortal sin.

Well more importantly they are still in His hands also, along with control of our lampstands.
Jesus gave the “keys of the kingdom of Heaven” to a MAN, Peter. Peter died and so the “keys” must have been passed on to another MAN … and so on, down through history to this day. So every Christian should be asking himself “Which MAN holds the keys today?”

Last edited:
The church doesn’t save us either
The Church is the body of Christ and cannot be separate from the head, Christ. Eph 1:22-23 says the Church is the “fullness” of Christ, so if Christ saves us, so does the Church.

The Scripture and the Church are his instruments
The Church is much more than one of Christ’s “instruments” - the Church is his body and is the “fullness” of Christ (Eph 1:22-23).
But how do we know which visible manifestations of the Church are teaching the Truth? Ultimately, I think only God knows who is and who is not in the kingdom. I don’t know that any Christian denomination (including Catholic and Orthodox) is 100% correct on every doctrine
So, how do you know what correct doctrine is?

If you have no way of knowing what correct doctrine is, I truly feel sorry for you - I would hate to go through life not havng any certainty about true doctrine.

Last edited:
This is what I said but to someone who struggles to believe our
Church. There are people who are in a state of mortal sin because of invalid marriage or some other reason who cannot receive the Eucharist at any time. For them NOT receiving is NOT committing a mortal sin. There are many others who cannot receive for other reasons and they are not committing a mortal sin.
You did not say that. You used the word “should” which means not an obligation. It is an obligation for a Catholic to receive Communion once a year during the Easter period. If they are in a state of mortal sin they must confess before receiving Communion. If they don’t confess and do not receive Communion then that is a mortal sin, even if they are already in a state of mortal sin.
You are implying that if someone is in a state of mortal sin then they cannot commit further mortal sins while in that state.

You did not say that. You used the word “should” which means not an obligation. It is an obligation for a Catholic to receive Communion once a year during the Easter period. If they are in a state of mortal sin they must confess before receiving Communion. If they don’t confess and do not receive Communion then that is a mortal sin, even if they are already in a state of mortal sin.
Are you scrupulous? Or maybe a very new Catholic?

For some Catholic they are living in a situation where they are unable to receive communion. The most common one is if they are in an irregular marriage. You can’t go to confession once a year in that situation and truthfully tell the priest you will not commit that sin again knowing full well you will go home with your spouse that night. So it isn’t just a matter of going to confession and receiving. If a person in that situation does receive the Eucharist, then they are committing a mortal sin. A person’s priest is the last word on it regardless.
You are implying that if someone is in a state of mortal sin then they cannot commit further mortal sins while in that state.
The you read my words wrong. I never said this and never implied it. This is a complete lack of understanding on your part. In fact I explicitly said that for those in a state of mortal sin, receiving the Eucharist would be another mortal sin.

Please retract you statement for being completely false.

Last edited:
Hi Glenn.
Personally, I know that what has been come to be known as the Catholic Church is part of The One Holy and Apostolic Church.
~
The One True Church has ‘Branches’ or ‘Rites,’ the Holy Latin Rite,
is how I personally think of The Catholic Church.
~
Note that one sad reality in history was; (due to hardships on Jewish and Gentile followers of “The Way”);-
a different view of Holy Days by the year 500 A.D.
Dr. Roy Shoeman, a Catholic certainly has shown some early
evidence. https://salvationisfromthejews.com/
Another knows the Holy Days whereby The Holy Bible tells us
they will be kept for all generations on some youtube videos,
and other resources such as, Jewish Roots of Catholicism DVD Video - Br Bob Fishman .
Personally, I also enjoy the blessing of learning from non Catholics such as https://discoveringthejewishjesus.com/ .
~
We must realize that by the middle ages The One True Church,
in a society in general in Europe & other places in the world experienced much hardship. Families certainly had a Godly need to hold on to a holy sense of The Sacred, common decency, and that Truth, Goodness(Ethics Justice Morality), Beauty(Pure Godly Kosher aesthetics) are all absolutely and have always been Eternal.
A wonderful source of what was transpiring in the middle ages can be sought after using links such as, Called To Communion With Dr. David Anders | EWTN , he (Dr. David Anders) was of the partly true protestant presbyterian faith.
~
Some of what I have learned from many more sources, also,
is that each of us by Divine Blessing, Inspirations, Favor (The Lord God Almighty’s by Jesus The Christ and The Holy Spirit, Grace), is that we each must receive Grace (never consenting to loosing Salvation by one’s own free human will decision, whereby, ‘Blessed Assurance’ can never be taken lightly, quite the contrary. — The One True Benevolent All Powerful, All Knowing, All Seeing - LORD and GOD Always Sends Grace, Justice & Peace Embracing Resolute Compassion to everyone to by cheerfully doing God’s Holy Will know & Chesed(love) God, one’s self, along side witness of a Life of Simplicity(Affirming at all times in all thought, word, deeds with all due diligence that God Is Good, one’s own God Given Dignity, & Godliness in integrity of by God a Life of Charity affirming Testimony). Please note this short description does not do justice to a life time of learning from Church going with integrity cheerful giving family, friends, close acquaintances, along side neighbors, with much embellishment by made deeply devout honest leaders such as the ones sited here.
(…)continued

Last edited:
Orthodoxy is very, very, very important for God Given Grace of hospitality, gathering, welcoming one another & other’s families, in addition the ‘In Dwelling of Real Presence,’ of a Thankful Participation in Christ. We must keep in mind that the Holy Spiritual Fruit of this Devout Truth through The One True Church, is extremely important as the entire Godly body(assembly, congregational, togetherness) Church of The Family of God knows this always in place importance of genuine sharing of resolute (non condoning, enabling, facilitating anything contrary to God’s Precepts, Laws, Ways and much more) cheerful giving affirming God Always Sends Grace to live a fruitful in charity Testimony.
As the time I need in personal ‘irons in the fire,’ and I cited some sources with extensive expert True available for anyone to reverently discern it would be an inordinate drain on time given by God to continue in this particular thread. It has been an honest report of some of the personal sincere devout in thankful participation in Christ reasons for the comment offered for discernment.
heartfelt warm regards to the family members of Believers and those seeking God, whereby I have Know to be the Truth, that Jesus The Christ(Messiah, Beloved Anointed One) is the only means of Salvation for the rewards of Heaven.

Are you scrupulous? Or maybe a very new Catholic?
I am 72 and a long time Catholic and I am definitely not scrupulous!!!

It makes no difference what the situation is. If someone is in a state of mortal sin for whatever reason and they do not receive Communion each year during the Easter period then that is an additional mortal sin they commit.

Jesus gave the “keys of the kingdom of Heaven” to a MAN, Peter. Peter died and so the “keys” must have been passed on to another MAN … and so on, down through history to this day. So every Christian should be asking himself “Which MAN holds the keys today?”
Well indeed someone has them, for many are being set free today unto eternal life, in that kingdom, here on earth.

The Church is the body of Christ and cannot be separate from the head, Christ. Eph 1:22-23 says the Church is the “fullness” of Christ, so if Christ saves us, so does the Church.
Well then many are saved today, even if thru Orthodox and Protestant churches/ communities also. It still shows “Catholic” unity (per CC) being offshoots. I would add the the
Catholic foundation was laid in the past, even some seeds, but the present fruition/salvation is in the offshoots also, those “other” churches" with their apparent " lampstands".

Last edited:
If you have no way of knowing what correct doctrine is, I truly feel sorry for you - I would hate to go through life not havng any certainty about true doctrine.
“And they shall not teach every man his neighbour and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me from the least to the greatest of them:”

So please tell me if I have Christ in me, even the Holy Ghost, being placed in His body, with full giftings of offices in assembly, are we reeds shaken in the wind?

I have not changed any doctrines but held fast since my salvation. We do have certainty. In fact our convictions may be so strong that it’s tough to balance or appropriate other views, even re examine our own, hence we end up with quite a few “denominations”.

The mark of a saved soul is one who does ask the Lord for discernment as to these other views. After all, we were broken down once before rebirth in Christ, so any haughtiness of me being Protestant, or Orthodox / Catholic is unfounded.

Respective to each other we are no different in this matter of certainty of our convictions. And for sure, being certain, even having peace, is no guarantee of rightness for either of us. ( Everybody can’t be right).Yet being righteous has it’s peace and certainty.

Last edited:
It makes no difference what the situation is. If someone is in a state of mortal sin for whatever reason and they do not receive Communion each year during the Easter period then that is an additional mortal sin they commit.
Please show me where in the CCC or Canon Law or other source that has authority where it is a mortal sin if one is unable to meet this obligation.

Why can’t they meet this obligation?
If there is no priest, than that would be a reason.
But it is not a reason that they don’t want to stop sinning and repent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back