Catholic Church founded by Jesus?

• Thread starter Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the monstrance is actually the vessel that holds the Eucharist so that the faithful can adore the Eucharist but the monstrance is not the Eucharist itself

and it can’t claim to have unbroken lineage of people following it.
Not even Anglicans? What, did some reformers come out Buddhism, or Islam? Were they not in full Catholic lineage before any reform?

The apostles and first church were in full lineage to the salvation that was of the Jews, to father Abraham, and Moses, to the disgruntlement of the established authorities who also claimed authentic lineage, but were only in the flesh, and not in spirit.

Lineage has to be in truth and spirit, and not just institutionally.

Last edited:
The apostles and first church were in full lineage to the salvation that was of the Jews, to father Abraham, and Moses, to the disgruntlement of the established authorities who also claimed authentic lineage, but were only in the flesh, and not in spirit
Then Jesus came & straightened everything out.

Are you saying he came back in the 16th century in flesh & spirit… or were some led by a spirit of division & mistook him for Our Lord?

40.png
OrbisNonSufficit:
and it can’t claim to have unbroken lineage of people following it.
Not even Anglicans? What, did some reformers come out Buddhism, or Islam? Were they not in full Catholic lineage before any reform?

Apostolicae Curae​

On the Nullity of Anglican Orders​

Pope Leo XIII - 1896

40.png
Justin_Mary:
Are you saying he came back in the 16th century in flesh & spirit
No. He has always been with us, and those that have an ear hear let them hear Him.
Hearing and being obedient.

Lk 10:16 Whoever listens to you listens to ME . Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.

Mt 28:19-20 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, TEACHING THEM to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you ALWAYS, until the END OF THE AGE .”

Hearing and being obedient.
Yes, being obedient to what we hear is a different yet necesary thing, but we are speaking of hearing differently.
Lk 10:16 Whoever listens to you listens to ME .
A Catholic saying that to non Catholic reminds me of Biden
chastizing a black man for questioning him, saying if he didnt support/vote for him he wasn’t black.
TEACHING THEM to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you ALWAYS, until the END OF THE AGE .”
Another much used scripture. What is usually neglected is where Jesus warns of any leaven (bad doctrine) from those in leadership (chair of Moses/Peter?).

Indeed He is always with us, but it is conditional on our part of hearing Him in truth and spirit.

Last edited:
40.png
ArchStanton:
TEACHING THEM to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you ALWAYS, until the END OF THE AGE .”
Another much used scripture. What is usually neglected is where Jesus warns of any leaven (bad doctrine) from those in leadership (chair of Moses/Peter?).

Indeed He is always with us, but it is conditional on our part of hearing Him in truth and spirit.
Thank you for your responses… dealing with ‘bad doctrine’ and the ‘chair of Peter’, Christ gave the Church the Advocate -

Jn 14:16-17 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you ALWAYS, the SPIRIT OF TRUTH , which the world cannot accept , because it neither sees nor knows it. But you know it, because it remains with you , and will be in you.

Jn 16:13 But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will GUIDE YOU to ALL TRUTH. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.

and that assures us of the right path for truth…

Eph 3:10 so that the manifold WISDOM of God might now be made known THROUGH the CHURCH to the principalities and authorities in the heavens.

Blessings!

John says we have been straightened out, and know all things by the spirit. Jesus will come back to settle any differences.
Spirit & truth. That’s where we need to be. Your semantics seems to focus on the spirit, not so much on the truth.

Spirit & truth. That’s where we need to be. Your semantics seems to focus on the spirit, not so much on the truth.
Thank you…lol…needed that to start out my well needed lunch break today, but you can’t have one without the other.

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses… dealing with ‘ bad doctrine ’ and the ‘ chair of Peter ’, Christ gave the Church the Advocate -
Yes, this usually follows the conversation.

Yes we have a better dispensation in the Holy Ghost in this new testament.
Yet OT was not without the the aid of the Holy Ghost. Did He guide any lest perfectly? Are not the efficacy of His services conditional by our part? Even the first King Saul spoke in and by the Holy Ghost at times.

I am not sure if even strict Calvinists believe in always perfectly abiding in the Spirit, that His guiding will always perfectly be received and or acted upon, that the " chair" can never err, voiding many of Christ’s warnings and admonitions, like the one I cited to beware of leaven from leaders.

Last edited:
many of Christ’s warnings and admonitions, like the one I cited to beware of leaven from leaders.
and yet…

Mt 23:2-3 The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses . Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you , but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice.

[OT seat on the chair of Moses, NT seat on the chair of Peter ]

and yet…

Mt 23:2-3 The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses . Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you , but do not follow their example . For they preach but they do not practice.

Yes, that is verse most often quoted, to which one should add beware of their leaven, as Jesus did. It is both. The following/ doing is conditional.

40.png
ArchStanton:
and yet…
Mt 23:2-3 The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses . Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you , but do not follow their example . For they preach but they do not practice.

Yes, that is verse most often quoted, to which one should add beware of their leaven, as Jesus did. It is both. The following/ doing is conditional.
Doesn’t that put a lot on one’s plate? Not to fully trust in the Church?

Thanks

Why did Paul go to the Church leaders in Jerusalem to settle a doctrinal dispute with Barnabas? Paul was an apostle - surely he had he authority to settle any doctrinal dispute - but he didn’t, he deferred to the Church leaders.

Correct, I did not. I would think as far as jurisdiction, more along lines of presbyter model, with council as needed. Scripture states there were apostles, who then appointed presbyters/ bishops after them. Scripture says our foundation is the apostles, the twelve.
Jesus did not give the “keys of the kingdom of God” to “the twelve”, but only to Peter.

What did Peter do with those “keys”? Did he lose them somewhere? Of course not - so they must still exist - where are those “keys” today? In whose hands are they?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back