Catholic Fire and Brimstone Sermons

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wm777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wm777

Guest
Not really sure of where to put this but here…

So I know some of you get freaked out about Halloween and all… if you are one of those people, you probably don’t want to participate in this post… It’s kind of hard for me to understand why some Catholics get upset over Halloween because a lot of it is so fake - it’s like attributing devil worship to the Great Pumpkin, when everyone knows the Great Pumpkin doesn’t even exist… To do that would actually be a form of superstition in and of itself because it would attribute divine power to nothing at all…

Now, if someone were following something real and genuinely bad, then that’s superstition - which would be a totally different matter because there’s actually something malevolent to avoid…

But if someone you know, you love and you trust is “behind the mask”, and you know you both share the same Catholic faith, then you also know where their heart is… Then Halloween is reduced to “make believe”, pretending and a bunch of kidding and playing around…

That said, I was looking for some fire and brimstone sermons to read… However, I’m not sure if fire and brimstone was started by Catholics, so I wanted to see some of both… Some good Catholic Fire and Brimstone, as opposed to Christian Fire and Brimstone in general… What distinguishes them?

Any ideas? Links?
 
Last edited:
I never said the devil wasn’t real, but I wouldn’t go so far as to equate Halloween with something like “Black Friday”. “All Hallow’s Eve” has too much history, and some people have even suggested All Saints Day and All Souls Day were created as a Catholic “alternative” to competing holidays in other (mostly pagan) religions.

The other thing is, while I did mention Halloween, it’s actually off-topic.

The thread is supposed to be about how to discern Catholic Fire and Brimstone sermons from general Christian Fire and Brimstone Sermons.

Here’s an allegedly famous “General Christian” Fire and Brimstone sermon I just found… See if you can tell me what is non-Catholic about it?


SINNERS IN THE HANDS OF AN ANGRY GOD
by the
Rev. Jonathan Edwards
 
Last edited:
It’s actually kind of hard to explain, but it only makes sense.

If Halloween (i.e. “All Hallow’s Eve”) - All Saints Day and All Soul’s Day" - was meant as a Catholic alternative to pagan festivities at the same time of year… then the church has offered us a choice and suggestion of what to celebrate… and the occasion is still pretty solemn, although I wouldn’t call it a solemnity by any means…

If Halloween is thus “Catholicized”, then the notion and images of “Hellfire” and “Fire and Brimstone” always seem to get associated with it.

We do have some good scary preachers in Catholicism, but then there are some general, non-Catholic scary Christian preachers, too. If one can discern what’s really scary from what’s only sort of scary, then I find it is petty cathartic to my very sensitive and gentle tendency to be scrupulous.

That’s why I linked to that sermon…

In a way, it might seem pretty cool to read it to trick or treaters… but, then - is it really in keeping with what’s Catholic?
 
Last edited:
Why do people always say ‘fire and brimstone’ and not ‘fire and sulphur’ (‘sulfur’ to you US-spellers)?
 
“General Christian”
What is a “General Christian” sermon? Why should I care what some Puritan thinks, especially considering the anti-Catholic streak in their beliefs?
 
Last edited:
A very famous sermon, not sure why you say
allegedly famous
Anyway, one interesting thing about his sermon, it was not delivered in the expected dramatic movie preacher way, Mr Edwards had a rather monotone delivery.

If you are looking for a Catholic who teaches in the manner of a Southern Evangelical Preacher, you might watch some of Michael Cumbie’s videos.

One of the best preachers of all time, in my opinion, is Bishop Fulton Sheen.
 
The Cure of Ars wrote sermons on hell; John Bosco had a vision of it, as did the kids of Fatima. There should be no shortage of material.
 
40.png
Wm777:
“General Christian”
What is a “General Christian” sermon? Why should I care what some Puritan thinks, especially considering the anti-Catholic streak in their beliefs?
General Christian = Any Christian not Catholic… Could be a Protestant, could be non-denominational…

Why care about what a Protestant thinks? You make it sound like they are our enemies, which I don’t think they necessarily are… in today’s world, a Muslim would probably be more likely to kill a Christian or a Catholic than a Protestant… but, if they were seen as enemies, then the old saying “Hold your friends close and your enemies closer” comes to mind… Even the devil spouted scripture in the desert, and yet it was Christ’s ability to discern the reality that allowed him to remain in the Spirit speak with the authority of his Father… In other words, Christ rebuked satan, he didn’t ignored him…

But all that assumes that just because someone isn’t Catholic, they are somehow evil… and, yet, we Catholics are called to evangelize sinners… Very well… So we teach a sinner about Christ… Should we then expect that poor and ignorant soul to suddenly be as perfect as St Theresa of Avila after a few lessons in catechism? Are any of us that perfect?

That said, why not hear what they have to say? It’s in keeping with the second commandment to love our neighbor…

But still Christ succeeded in the desert because he had the grace and ability to discern scripture correctly - despite satan’s propositions… So - when we speak to our neighbor, and we hear him out - which seems pretty fair and in keeping with our faith… it becomes important to look at the good in what they are saying, as much as the bad… for that i what discernment is…

We may not… in fact, we won’t… be able to change all hearts and minds, at least not right away… A lot of that is God’s doing anyway… but it’s good for the children of light to know what the children of the world are doing… That seems only prudent to me…
 
Why do people always say ‘fire and brimstone’ and not ‘fire and sulphur’ (‘sulfur’ to you US-spellers)?
because that is what it is commonly and traditionally called…

I guess you could go out and try asking someone to give you a good old “fire and sulphur sermon”, but - my thought is - people will probably ask you what you’re talking about…
 
I didn’t know much about it, aside from a Google search…

Is it okay for a Catholic to read? It can’t all be bad, can it?

In all honesty, I’m trying to make a scary audio recording for a Halloween party, and I really just need a good scary speech…

but I’m not going to use anything bad…

Some of the other stuff mentioned sounds pretty scary, so there seems to be plenty to work with…

I just don’t want it to go in the wrong direction at all… 😉
 
Last edited:
and, yet, we Catholics are called to evangelize sinners… Very well… So we teach a sinner about Christ… Should we then expect that poor and ignorant soul to suddenly be as perfect as St Theresa of Avila after a few lessons in catechism? Are any of us that perfect?
But you’re not talking about evangelization, are you? You’re putting forth a sermon written by a Puritan over two-hundred years ago, whose beliefs are rooted in getting rid of Catholic practices in the Anglican Church and promoting Calvanist beliefs on salvation, and saying
See if you can tell me what is non-Catholic about it?
As if implying there isn’t. As if implying it’s in line with Catholic beliefs.

Evangelization does not involve weighing heretical beliefs the same as orthodox ones. I have no interest in using their material in my spiritual life, much less being lectured on Hell by someone who would almost certainly believe that I have a one-way ticket there as a Catholic and not one of the elect.
 
If you want something for a gag recording, read Poe’s “The Raven” or something from Dante’s “Inferno”. Using a sermon is disrespectful.
 
I already tried The Raven, but it rhymes too much.

The Inferno’s not a bad idea, so I’ll probably use that…

As for a sermon, what I proposed was decidedly edgy, but I hadn’t really intended to do anything bad, so I kind of figured - if a sermon is good, then it would be okay because there should be nothing wrong with speaking about something that is good… In a way, it makes a lot of sense… If something is good - why suppress it?

Disrespectful? I think that’s where people take issue with what I suggested, so I apologize to anyone who took it as a form of disrespect. That was not my intention. I haven’t made the recording yet anyway, and all I wanted to do was ask a question to get people’s opinions on the matter, so I appreciate everyone’s (name removed by moderator)ut.

The disrespect would probably in the “pretend” aspect of Halloween. God is immutable, and he knows what’s in people’s heart, so playing “make believe” wouldn’t hurt God. But - using a sermon - yeah, you’re right, that would be like holding a clown mass (even though I wouldn’t be pretending to hold a mass at all) or something… Some people think clown masses are okay, and I actually asked a Priest what was wrong with clown masses - I didnt completely understand his explanation, but he said they are in fact wrong.

Anyway, again, all I was looking for was some decent “scary”, yet appropriate. material to work with. A good section from The Inferno should work.

“Abandon All Hope” sounds pretty scary and recognizable enough. Should be a good start. The talking tree might be kind of fun, too. I was never big on that part about the burning sand though…
 
I’m so confused by the OP!
I’m sorry about that…

I did say, however, if thread wasn’t really agreeable to you, then simply not to participate… just because someone raises a question or issue you don’t like or agree with doesn’t mean you have to comment on it…

If there is something you want to know, then ask…
 
“Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” contains heretical ideas, emphasizing especially the false idea of total depravity. That heresy logically leads to others such as sola fide, denying the efficacy of the sacraments, repudiating the ministerial priesthood, and rejecting the propitiatory sacrifice of the Mass. Of course it’s completely bad.
[/quote]

Thank you, (name removed by moderator). 🙂

I still haven’t read it yet, but I won’t use it in the recording I am trying to make. When I do read it, I will read it in light of what you said…

While we are on the subject - what is the Catholic sense of God’s anger… as opposed to the Protestant sense you described…?

Is the difference just that in the Catholic sense Jesus was offended by being crucified, but that he came to save us out of Love and mercy, not anger? I think that is the sense I get, although sometimes Jesus does get mad in the scriptures. The Protestant (or, rather, the Calvinist (?)) sense seems to make it sound like Jesus is still pretty angry, so love and mercy are not really emphasized.

If am I going wrong here, you can tell me… I get the feeling people dont like me question in this thread, but I’m holding out some hope for redemption here by keeping myself open to the Spirit… 🙂
 
Last edited:
I mean 75 percent of the first post was about Halloween, Then you say it isn’t the subject. Then you want a “fire and brimstone” “sermon”

I don’t know maybe try some of Father Mike schmitz.

You can find him on you tube. You might have to listen to many of them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top