Catholic Fire and Brimstone Sermons

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wm777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
btw, the reason I said all that stuff at the beginning of the OP was (a failed attempt) to try to keep people from flipping out over the idea of Halloween…

Some Catholics I have met actually think the holiday is diabolical… Scrupulous folks usually tend toward that notion… So, if one wants to ask a legitimate question about it, one has to take into consideration and set the stage for the right direction to take the conversation… That kind of means telling people who might be bothered by the content, “If this bothers you, then please don’t participate…”

That’s about all I could think of to try to address the question appropriately in light of people’s perceptions.
 
What I asked for was appropriate, yet scary sermons I could read for Halloween…

The idea of a sermon was pushing it too far, but The_Little_Lady’s suggestion on The Inferno seemed about right.

Do you know of any scary Catholic literature that I could use for Halloween reading? That’s what I am looking for and seeking in this post…

Fr Mike doesn’t really scare me very much. He’s too nice. 🙂
 
What kind of homily would be scary. The homily is a refection of the Gospel. The Gospel is not scary. It is hopeful. I like Halloween, I like being scared. I have no idea what a scary homily would be like. Or why one would want to read it?
 
Last edited:
Why do you want a fire and brimstone homily for Halloween?
Well, it’s interesting for one thing… and, then… hmmm… well, I guess it’s kind of cool to see how powerful God is for another…

And, then, lots of people get hung up on scruples… so… if it is Halloween, which kind of has a sense of “dying away” to it - why not confront them? If Halloween is supposed to be “scary”, respectfully so, then why not confront our scruples and let them die away…

God is awesome. And, yes, it’s scary, but there’s also an immensely beautiful reality that is at stake when one’s faith is on the line.

So - which is better - to be afraid and superstitious about a bunch of kids running around in Halloween masks? Or to take the Catholic view of the season, and live up to it?

And, if I for one may say, I’m not sure we really even know yet how to discern the Catholic version of Halloween from the pagan… Some of the posts have helped, but the discernment hasn’t been explicitly stated in this thread yet…
 
Then please visit another thread, if it is bothering you… Why would you want to stay if it is bothersome to you?

I enjoy reading your posts po18guy, so I’m going to ask the thread be locked at this point.

I wont give up on the question, but I will have to take it to the church or something…

It’s not my intention to upset people.
 
I’m still not sure what the OP means but it brought this to mind. Saturday afternoon vigil mass, summertime hot (no air conditioning). Gospel reading is that passage where Jesus says, “If your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out.” First sentence of the priest’s homily went something like, “You know, I don’t think we take the words of Jesus nearly seriously enough.” Whole sermon was about the seriousness of sin and taking our faith way too lightly. Get this - at the end of the sermon, the congregation clapped (I’d never seen that happen there before or since).

My faith (and whole life) was transformed at a Catholic retreat in High School where I heard for the first time (!) that God was asking all of us to give our whole lives to Him, to put him first in all things. I wonder if we lose people by under-selling aspects of faith…?
 
Last edited:
Do you know of any scary Catholic literature that I could use for Halloween reading?
Not Catholic, but, Screwtape Letters has some chilling passages.

There are dark soliloquies in Shakespeare. I know you said no to poetry, but, Annabel Lee is a classic


The Goblin Market has some beautiful, dark imagery


Poe’s prose, like the Telltale Heart or The Pit and the Pendulum, some of Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, the classics.

Using a sermon reminds me too much of the Southern “Hell Houses”. Protestant churches will set up what looks like a haunted house, people walk through and see tableaus of over dramatic scary sinful things (drug orgy, bloody abortion, and yes some have mock Catholic imagery). The last scene is hell.

After that everyone is taken into a room and asked to “get saved”. Bleh.
 
I’m inclined to believe that Christ intended to give His Life as ransom for us no matter what (He is “the Lamb slain from the Foundation of the World”), but it was man who chose the means. Rabbis speak of the Messiah going into the sanctuary in Eden and summoning all the afflictions of the world onto Himself, for example.
 
Wm777: tell a ghost story then or a scary story, if it’s younger people you want to give a fright to. This comes to mind but it is a testimony, not a tale…

Larry Cummins (google him), who passed away this year RIP, had a mission primarily for the holy souls in purgatory but he related an event a young woman sought prayer over.
The woman walked into her Apt. bedroom in London, UK, and saw the figure of another woman she thought she recognised. She was black, as if burned, with dull flames around her feet and the silhouette of another person behind her right shoulder. The woman said something but i can’t recall it. I The ‘vision’ disappeared.

On the carpet was a black stain, which the renter had to remove at her own cost, and three times she hired a professional cleaning crew to clean the room because of the lingering smell.
The woman visited Larry for prayer because she was still disturbed by what she saw. Larry prayed about the situation and Our Lady replied “She did not listen to my pleas” (my memory is imperfect as to her specific words; I think it was ‘advice’ rather than ‘pleas’). The blackened figure was a former roomate that the young woman tried to help live a better life but she obviously chose not to.
There was no consolation given; no admonishment; no financial restitution; no reason as to her appearance or explanation as to her death.
Truth is scarier than fiction.
 
No one said they were upset or disliked Halloween. We are just saying we don’t really know what you are talking about…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top