Catholic Position Extreme Case of Abortion

• Thread starter Thread starter Fidem
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. A member of our species at any stage of life is a human person, deserving of all rights and protections that entails.

Last edited:
Not according to Jewish teaching. The soul has not yet entered the body, so personhood has not developed yet. Only when the child is born is it a body and soul, per Genesis. Yet abortion on demand for no compelling reason is not permitted.

Last edited:
I respect all human life from conception until natural death. This is a matter of faith for Christians.

Personhood is a philosophical question

And a religious question, so it is the woman’s right to choose based on her religious beliefs.

Not according to Jewish teaching. The soul has not yet entered the body, so personhood has not developed yet. Only when the child is born is it a body and soul, per Genesis. Yet abortion on demand for no compelling reason is not permitted.
How many Jews teach this about ensoulment? Reform? Orthodox? Hasidim? Is it uniform from community to community, or does it depend on the rabbi?

Under the US secular law, this happens.

Under God’s law, we cannot choose to kill an innocent human.

Good question. It is one of the few doctrines that are uniform across a wide spectrum of Jewish belief. However, what constitutes just cause for abortion varies among the streams of Judaism. To save the mother’s life, however, is paramount and required, not optional, especially for Orthodox Judaism. Rape and incest are leniencies but not for all (Orthodox) rabbis.

Last edited:
Not with something as serious as abortion. We don’t allow all religious practices in the USA. If one could prove, using only secular evidence, that a fetus is a human person (which is possible), then your religious practices lose out to someone else’s right to live. Freedom of worship and religious practice is not universal.

Last edited:
Would you say the same regarding the sacrosanct nature of Confession, supposing a penitent told a priest that he had killed someone?

The courts have already ruled on this. The Seal is a valid part of religious expression and cannot be tampered with. Specifically, having the Seal in place does not directly threaten or end the life of another, even if murder is confessed. It’s an act independent of the others.

Last edited:
using only secular evidence, that a fetus is a human person
How do you prove to a secular atheist like me that the science showing a blastocyst is of the same species as the mother means it has all the same rights and value as she does?

You are implying that the mere science is enough to move to a legal “ought” but nothing about a given blastocyst’s form lends itself to such assumptions from my point of view.

In fact, it looks like you are using your religious beliefs as justification to force Jewish people to violate their beliefs.

Capta(name removed by moderator)rudeman:
using only secular evidence, that a fetus is a human person
How do you prove to a secular atheist like me that the science showing a blastocyst is of the same species as the mother means it has all the same rights and value as she does?

You are implying that the mere science is enough to move to a legal “ought” but nothing about a given blastocyst’s form lends itself to such assumptions from my point of view.

In fact, it looks like you are using your religious beliefs as justification to force Jewish people to violate their beliefs.
You should meet Trent Horn!

And if the priest has information about this serial killer who is likely to kill again? I am all in favor of the Seal of Confession, but I would argue that the life of a woman and mother is also sacrosanct.

No thank you. This is a deflection and a sales pitch not an answer to my question.

I mean, there aren’t any substantial differences between a blastocyst and a full adult besides size, which isn’t a problem once you’re outside the womb. If there aren’t any substantial differences between individuals inside and outside of the womb, why is one group human and the other not?
And if the priest has information about this serial killer who is likely to kill again?
He still cannot speak, although a killer who goes to confession is not likely the type to kill again. If there’s a reluctance to go through with more, the priest could ask to meet with the penitent outside the confessional. Otherwise, especially because a priest probably doesn’t see the penitent, they wouldn’t be able to provide useful information anyways.

Last edited:
No thank you. This is a deflection and a sales pitch not an answer to my question.
Actually it’s not, I literally meant that you should meet Trent. You can call in, next time he’s featured on Catholic Answers Live. He has a method of inquiry and debate that is exemplary, and produces real results. That method is not applicable here in the format of a public forum. That’s all I meant, that you should take your concern offline to a more suitable venue.

How so? What differences exist between an adult person and one in the womb?

No thank you. I don’t need to call into a radio show to have a question answered that I posed to Captain Prudeman. I think he is sufficiently informed about his own beliefs to be able to answer for himself. I have respect for his opinion, as he is the one I’m in discussion with.

You are the one making the claim. I would like to know what you mean by there being no substantial differences between a blastocyst and an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back