Catholic Position on the Masonic Lodge

• Thread starter Thread starter patricia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patricia

Can anyone tell me what the Catholic Church teaches about the Masonic Lodge? My Dad is very involved in Freemasonry and has been for 60 years. I’m concerned about him as it seems like it is his religion.

I’m not even sure what it is all about except that it is a secret society. He won’t speak about it to the family.

Can anyone help me? :confused:

Membership in Masonry is forbidden to Catholics. Membership is a serious sin and inhibits a Catholic from being allowed to take Holy Communion.

For documentation, go here.

Patricia - the following is a response I got from a friend when I asked the same question. DomninvsVobiscvm’s answer is essentially the same:

"The Masons (or Freemasons) are a secret society that on the surface resembles a normal, “lodge” (like the ones that Howard Cunningham and Fred Flintstone belong to). As a whole, they are definitely ‘bad guys’. One of the central goals of the Masonic society is to overthrow Christianity in general and the Catholic Church in particular. The lower levels of the order seem innocent enough, or too subtle in their message to be alarming, but the higher levels are reputed to be much more overtly sinister. Catholics are not permitted to be masons. I found this site that seems to sum what I know about it fairly well:

secondexodus.com/html/evangelization/evangelizingfreemasons.htm"

Anyone who claims to be both a Catholic and a Mason is lying. Membership in the Masonic Lodge means automatic excommunication.

Membership in the Masonic Lodge means automatic excommunication.
I’m not so sure that this is true. Do you have any documentation to support it?

wow forbidden, think again since Vatican II…the Knights of Columbus allow Masons to join…hmmm what is going on here…oh by the way , yes Vatican II wiped Catholic history of the masons away and ushered them in…so if someone reads you any Papal decree prior to Vatican II then just silence them with authority…were all the same now, there is room at the table for everyone…

40.png
DominvsVobiscvm:
cin.org/mateo/masonic-freemasons.html
The Church has imposed the penalty of excommunication on Catholics who become freemasons. The penalty of excommunication for joining the Masonic Lodge was explicit in the 1917 Code of Canon Law (canon 2335) and it is implicit in the 1983 Code (canon 1374).

Sorry, BobCatholic, but “implicit” isn’t good enough.

A public member of Masonry could, theoretically, be excommunicated; but by the New Code of Canon Law, he is not automatically so.

However, he is still in a state of mortal sin.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I would like to add that my Dad is also a staunch Anglican and has been all his life … he is now 78 yrs old.

How could he not know that Freemasonry is a ‘bad boys’ club and not compatible with Christianity? Also, I think I read in one of your web referrals that even the Church of England did not allow members to be Freemasons. Isn’t the Anglican church the same as the Church of England? I’m wondering how my Dad could call himself an Anglican or Christian and also a Freemason? :confused:

Any more thoughts on this?

40.png
friendofgod:
wow forbidden, think again since Vatican II…the Knights of Columbus allow Masons to join…hmmm what is going on here…oh by the way , yes Vatican II wiped Catholic history of the masons away and ushered them in…so if someone reads you any Papal decree prior to Vatican II then just silence them with authority…were all the same now, there is room at the table for everyone…
I am a Knight of Columbus and we do not allow Masons to join, but we do pray for them to have a conversion.

I do not know where your anger comes from but know I am praying for you to find some peace.

40.png
patricia:
How could he not know that Freemasonry is a ‘bad boys’ club and not compatible with Christianity?
Patricia - I think the thing to keep in mind is that the secrecy is so strict and the image that is projected to the members (pillars of society) vs. what is actually true (anti-Christian) are so anti-thetical that a lot of the members don’t realize the true nature of it. And since they aren’t allowed to discuss it, even amongst themselves, they never find out the truth of the lies. Keep him in your prayers and keep in mind that his membership doesn’t make him a bad guy, just misled. It’s never too late for the truth to get through. We will all keep both of you in our prayers.

40.png
friendofgod:
Your information is most puzzling! I have read ALL of the Conciliar Documents of Vatican II three times, and have referred to individual documents many, many times. How could I have missed such a change of direction in these documents. It sounds like you have been misled by the oft-quoted “in the spirit of Vatcan II” which is the call-words for the innovators, the modernists, the secularists, the renovators, the reckovators, those in apostacy or schism, and the like. All of which are the perpetrators of the chaos throughout the Church today. The freemasons were condemned in the 19th century and have not changed their inner policies since their origination. However, their biggest appeal has been secured through their secrecy which is maintained on a hierarchical level. The vast majority of members belong to the lower levels and do the leg work required from above, while only the highest levels know the purpose of their programs. In fact, the Knights of Columbus specifically were founded to counter the influence of the freemasons. Thus to provide a Catholic Society for young Catholic men to join instead of being lured into joining the “fun” lower levels of freemasons.

40.png
DominvsVobiscvm:
Would a Bishop be good enough answer?

The Lincoln Bishop has said they are excommunicated if they belong and do not recant their memberhship.

Hope that helps clarify.

dioceseoflincoln.org/purple/groups/groups2.htm#9
The legislation of the Diocesan Synod, which is in full force, states, “The faithful are prohibited from maintaining membership in any condemned, prohibited from maintaining membership in any condemned, prohibited, or disapproved societies or organizations. These include the Masons (and their auxiliary organizations), Planned Parenthood, Society of Pius X, Call to Action (in its various forms), Catholics for a Free Choice, the Hemlock Society.” Catholics who would disobey this legislation commit mortal sins of disobedience and endangering their faith and they also incur sever ecclesiastical censures which the Synod sets forth in Article 177. Your parish priest can give you a copy of the Synodal laws if you ask him for one.

The masons in this country have, to a great degree, degenerated into a Fred Flintstone kinda place. They do good work… Shriner’s Burn Hospitals for example. The international variety…Europe and other places have, in fact, been insidiously anti Catholic and murderously (literally) damaging to the church. Therefore membership in the masons is forbidden to Catholics. The masons are a quasi-religious group.

My father was a mason. The rest of the family is Catholic so he was buried with his apron, etc, by a priest … oh the irony!

membership in any secret organization in forbidden…any John Birchers out there, hmmm?

I agree with George Cooney about the documents of Vatican II, pretty much what he said about the “spirit of V II”, those who promoted it, and the damage some of them did. Just as insidious are those who are anti-Vatican II and want to blame it for all the issues in the church today and point to conspiracies of some sort…like masonic influences on Vatican II …what hooey. :cool:

I hate to say this… but ya’all (practicing southern english…hehe) sound like a bunch of anti-Catholics flinging around accusations and labels about the vatican and Catholic Church being the Anti-Christ and the beast, and corrupted etc…

Looking back at the posts, they have included such colorful labels as:
“bad”
“Evil”
“secret”
“Anti-Christian”
etc…etc…

Yet no one has yet given one specific thing that they do that are any of these.

Secret Society… ROTFL… we all know about them dont we? Must not be too secret!

Brandon

Marie:

The article you quotes, again, says nothing of excommunication.

40.png
DominvsVobiscvm:
Marie:

The article you quotes, again, says nothing of excommunication.
I gave that one earlier…maybe another thread though so look it up. 😃 Same website I think, and so you will find it there.That part is probably under the Bishops own site though. He is the one that told them they would be excommunicated if they did not comply.

Free Mason, are considered to be a false pseudo-religion, for many biblical reasons. One is the Oath they must swear to.
Before Free Masons may go from one degree to another in their lodge, they have to swear an oath each time, consenting to their own mutilation and death if they reveal any masonic secrets, such oaths are immoral. Some Masons consider their oaths to be innocent nonsense, but in such cases, their oaths are blasphemous. Also, any oaths are immoral when they require the one swearing to forego informing officials of Church or State about illegal or immoral happenings in a group.

40.png
Marie:
Would a Bishop be good enough answer?

The Lincoln Bishop has said they are excommunicated if they belong and do not recant their memberhship.

Hope that helps clarify.

dioceseoflincoln.org/purple/groups/groups2.htm#9
OK! I found it.
Statement of Bishop Bruskewitz Excommunicating Certain Groups
All Catholics in and of the Diocese of Lincoln are forbidden to be members of the organizations and groups listed below. Membership in these organizations or groups is always perilous to the Catholic Faith and most often is totally incompatible with the Catholic Faith.
Planned Parenthood
Society of Saint Pius X (Lefebvre Group)
Hemlock Society
Call to Action
Call to Action Nebraska
Saint Michael the Archangel Chapel
Freemasons
Job’s Daughters
DeMolay
Eastern Star
Rainbow Girls
Catholics for a Free Choice
Any Catholics in and of the Diocese of Lincoln who attain or retain membership in any of the above listed organizations or groups after April 15, 1996, are by that very fact (ipso facto latae sententiae) under interdict and are absolutely forbidden to receive Holy Communion. Contumacious persistence in such membership for one month following the interdict on part of any such Catholics will by that very fact (ipso facto latae sententiae) cause them to be excommunicated. Absolution from these ecclesial censures is “reserved to the Bishop.”
This notice, when published in the Southern Nebraska Register, is a formal canonical warning.
By mandate of the Most Reverend Bishop of Lincoln.
Reverend Monsignor Timothy Thorburn, Chancellor March 19, 1996
Further the information on Excommunications and how to get straightened out. The above states through the Bishop only. Other areas are covered below.
The most important aspect for one who commits a serious sin, which is also an ecclesiastical crime with a penalty attached, is to be repentant, truly contrite, and resolved not to commit the sin and crime again. Then such a person should go to confession. The priest who hears the confession will give the person appropriate advice and assistance. If the absolution from the censure (excommunication) is reserved to the bishop or the pope, the priest will make the arrangements. Many times, however, the priest himself is permitted to directly and immediately absolve from both the excommunication and sin.

Before Free Masons may go from one degree to another in their lodge, they have to swear an oath each time, consenting to their own mutilation and death if they reveal any masonic secrets, such oaths are immoral.<<
First, Masons will tell you, and I have spoken to many, that the “penalties” of the oath are explained before they take the oath as being symbolic. Second, why would that be immoral? Third, what secrets do you think they are keeping that are so bad?
Some Masons consider their oaths to be innocent nonsense, but in such cases, their oaths are blasphemous.<<
I have never met one who thinks of their oaths as silly or nonesense?
Also, any oaths are immoral when they require the one swearing to forego informing officials of Church or State about illegal or immoral happenings in a group.<<
First, in my study, there are certain laws that are excepted… such as murder and treason. Second, they are only bound not to tell, if another mason tells he wants it held in confidence and the second mason agrees to do so, otherwise it’s free game. Third, dont priests keep things that may be illegal secret in the confessional, are they then wrong too?

I fail to see that you have demonstrated any evil deeds of the group. Many company board meetings are “secret” and one must often sign a confidentiality agreement, with certain penalties attatched 😉 Are those bad too?

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back