Catholic Position on the Masonic Lodge

• Thread starter Thread starter patricia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pope Pius seemed to take a very hard stand on the Masons. The CDF issued a brief decree that any Catholic who was a Mason was in a state of grave sin and was barred from the eucharist. It seems the old position is still in force.

Pope Pius seemed to take a very hard stand on the Masons. The CDF issued a brief decree that any Catholic who was a Mason was in a state of grave sin and was barred from the eucharist. It seems the old position is still in force.
This was directed towards the Moderns. It remains the policy for them, quite rightly.

These are members of: The United Grand Lodge of England; The Grand Lodge of Scotland; The Grand Lodge of Ireland; the constituent Grand Lodges of The Conference of Grand Masters of Masons of North America and any Grand Lodge in amity with one, or more of the above.

Needless to say The Grand Lodge of All England is not and does not approve of them.

I’m so glad you mentioned that because I converted last year and my family thinks Catholicism is actually worshipping the devil. They think they are VERY pegan as well and have consistently told me to keep my eyes open for subtle clues. Like for instance, last year during Advent we had antiphon banners up lining the outer walls. The one that contained Wisdom had a symbol that resemble a Masonic symbol (an eye inside a pyramid with a hand holding a flame) . I had to do A LOT of research to clear my mind. I found it was the Eye of Horus and that the Catholics used many Egyptian symbols.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I would like to add that my Dad is also a staunch Anglican and has been all his life … he is now 78 yrs old.

How could he not know that Freemasonry is a ‘bad boys’ club and not compatible with Christianity? Also, I think I read in one of your web referrals that even the Church of England did not allow members to be Freemasons. Isn’t the Anglican church the same as the Church of England? I’m wondering how my Dad could call himself an Anglican or Christian and also a Freemason? :confused:

Any more thoughts on this?
I don’t think any masons can even have a cross on their gravestone. check it out. i went to the semitary and not one mason grave had a cross on it. check it out. your fathers group may not know this but the people up top do and won’t allow a cross on the grave. check to see if your grandfather was a mason also and see how far back it goes also, check for christ cross on the grave. You will not find one. your father may not be against christ but the masons have a higher agenda. peace of christ.

Good Grief! There is some massive paranoia in here about the masons. I am a convert to the Church. A conversion that took place years before I met my wife. I am not a marriage convert. Before I became a catholic I was a mason. It’s not that secret of a society. If you want to know exactly what goes on in a lodge behind closed doors the just google it. Nothing too interesting I promise. For the Church to claim that all masons are in a state of mortal sin to me is far out. I can assure you that every man in my family for the last 6+ generations is not in hell. They have all been God loving, God fearing, family men that would have fit the catholic bill to a “t” with the exception of being a mason (and a Southern Baptist haha). My point is that there is a lot of strong language being used in here, and there really is no need for it. Some of this could actually be classified as judgement. Google the Masons and you will find many positive and many negative websites about them, but I would like to point out to you all is that there are double the sites that speak vile things about our beloved Church. Clearly, just because you read it on the internet doesn’t make it true. In the end Gods love and mercy will rain down us all and we will realize that those that thought they knew all the rules of God might be in for a surprise. Gods righteousness is perfectly righteous and cannot be contained within the box that we in this forum so often try to do. In closing, fear not the masons as they truly are a bunch of old men with lambskin aprins on that have donated much time and money to the benefit of millions (i.e. Shriners Hospital).

Signed,
Catholic Man in Texas

pope Leo rebuked freemasonry in his encyclicle. I have a copy of the encyclycle. you might think its ok but the bottom line is that the pope said no and we need to uphold this.

Anyone who claims to be both a Catholic and a Mason is lying. Membership in the Masonic Lodge means automatic excommunication.
Total ignorance, assuming that AF&AM is Freemasonry per se, when it is not. The freemasonry that has been banned by the Holy See is the self-started Moderns form of Rosicrucian Freemasonry (including the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite) ONLY (1717).

Our Catholic Freemasons receive the Holy Sacraments without any problem whatsoever.

wow forbidden, think again since Vatican II…the Knights of Columbus allow Masons to join…hmmm what is going on here…oh by the way , yes Vatican II wiped Catholic history of the masons away and ushered them in…so if someone reads you any Papal decree prior to Vatican II then just silence them with authority…were all the same now, there is room at the table for everyone…
I am sorry, but friendofgood is simply wrong about this. Masons can NOT become Knight’s of Columbus (you must be a “practical Catholic” in order to become a Knight).

You are NOT excommunicated if a Catholic joins the Masonic Orders, but you are barred from receiving Communion as long as you are a member. Post Vatican II, the Church has continued to indicate that membership in any Masonic Order is a grave sin.

I suspect that friendofgood is not a Catholic, or if he/she is, they certainly do not know their faith very well.

Yes, the Masonic Orders will accept Roman Catholics into their membership. I know the Masonic Orders very well, as my father was a 33 degree Mason, and 3 of my 4 brothers became Masons. I am the only Catholic in my family, and I can not, and would not, become a Mason.

I am a 4th Degree Knight of Columbus however, and know that no non-catholic can legally become a member of that organization.

I am a Catholic and a Freemason. There are many of us. I have read all of the condemnations and warnings from Popes and most recently, the “Declaration on Masonic Associations.” Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
November 26, 1983

This document can be found here: newadvent.org/library/docs_df83ma.htm

In this document it states that the negative position on masonic membership has not changed “since their principles have always been regarded as irreconcilable with the Church’s doctrine.”

This is simply not true. The truth is that freemasonry espouses some of the principles of the church, just not all. It does this because it is concerned with uniting men around principles on which all can agree. That there is a supreme being, that the soul is eternal.

The following is an interesting paragraph that states what freemasons believe very succinctly and accurately:
  • "Also among man’s rights is that of being able to worship God in accordance with the right dictates of his own conscience, and to profess his religion both in private and in public. According to the clear teaching of Lactantius, "this is the very condition of our birth, that we render to the God who made us that just homage which is His due; that we acknowledge Him alone as God, and follow Him. It is from this ligature of piety, which binds us and joins us to God, that religion derives its name.’’*
Who wrote this? Was it Albert Pike, is it in Anderson’s Constititions? No. It was written by Pope John XXIII in his encyclical “Pacem in Terris” from April 11, 1963. The Canon Law states: “A person who joins an association which plots against the Church is to be punished with a just penalty; one who promotes or takes office in such an association is to be punished with an interdict.” Note there is no mention of Freemasonry. This is the official law of my church and I am following it.

The bottom line is this. If I ever hear anything in the lodge that is counter to my faith or represents a “plot” against the church, I will leave. I have not heard that. What I have heard is that I should practice and be active in my faith and as a matter of fact, I have. The lodge has brought me closer to my faith.

In Matthew 7:16, our Lord says “You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? “So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. “A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.“Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. “So then, you will know them by their fruits.

God Bless.

r

In the first part of your post you present a link to the Church’s current stance on freemasonry but it seems you don’t notice this passage:
"The Church’s negative position on Masonic associations therefore remains unaltered, since their principles have always been regarded as irreconcilable with the Church’s doctrine. Hence joining them remains prohibited by the Church. Catholics enrolled in Masonic associations are involved in serious sin and may not approach Holy Communion. Local ecclesiastical authorities do not have the faculty to pronounce a judgment on the nature of Masonic associations which might include a diminution of the above-mentioned judgment, in accordance with the intention of this congregation’s declaration delivered on February 17, 1981 (cf. AAS 73 [1981], pp. 240-241).

The Supreme Pontiff John Paul II approved this declaration, deliberated at an ordinary meeting of this sacred congregation, and ordered it to become part of public law.

Rome. From the office of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, November 26, 1983.

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger
Prefect

Jerome Hamer, O.P.
Archbishop of Loria
Secretary"

No Catholic wants to be in serious sin. One persistent theme in this forum is that of Masons who claim the Masons are OK despite this prohibition of the Church. One can only think the masonry must be pernicious if it influences people in such a way. A truly good organization would counsel its members to leave.

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back