Catholic turned Atheist

  • Thread starter Thread starter 900MHZ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
9

900MHZ

Guest
There’s this woman I know of…she blogs about her atheism and how she came to be an atheist. The reason I post this…she admits to being a former Catholic, EVEN attended Catholic Highschool. (she’s in her early 20’s now). Mentions she’s had high marks in that highschool

She’s a local model as well, been on reality T.V., too (Beauty and the Geek).

But she really makes it obvious to people about her atheism and how she used to be a “former Catholic”.

My question is…why all hatred toward Christians with the way she expresses herself? How does one like go from being around Catholicism as a child, even going to school, to this?
 
Its sadly common. My own son, in his early 20’s is a Catholic-turned-atheist. 😦

There does seem to be a certain amount of bragging in some quarters over being a “former Catholic”. People love to bash the Catholic Church and tell the world how “intelligent” they are for having left it behind. :mad:

I think there must be a certain unconscious knowledge that they really are leaving something real behind, or they wouldn’t see the need to justify it so much in public.
 
Well, think about it…

Doesn’t it make sense to crow about how the RCC is bunk if one goes atheist? It’s Satan messing with one’s ego.

It’s an insult to one’s ego to submit to the authority of Christ and his Church. Who is he to tell us what to do?? ***I know better. *** I was fooled but no more.

That sort of thing.

🤷 Let’s pray for her redemption. 👍
 
Pray for her. Remember satan is always looking for someone he can devour. Many Catholics leave the church for any number of reasons. Only by the grace of God do they ever make it back. The story of the prodigical son comes to mind. Pray that God would remove the scales from her eyes to see the light of Christ in her darkness.That his mercy and grace be upon her during this season that she is going through. The He forgive her of her sins and lead her to everlasting life. Through Jesus Christ we pray, Amen.
 
Well, think about it…

Doesn’t it make sense to crow about how the RCC is bunk if one goes atheist? It’s Satan messing with one’s ego.

It’s an insult to one’s ego to submit to the authority of Christ and his Church. Who is he to tell us what to do?? ***I know better. *** I was fooled but no more.

That sort of thing.

🤷 Let’s pray for her redemption. 👍
Exactly. My son says, rather than pray, “Just have confidence in yourself.”
  1. The two are not mutually exclusive.
  2. Apparently he hasn’t lived long enough to know that he is not the final authority on things.
 
I can share with you my own experience having left the Church when I went to college. While I didn’t quit believing in God, I did become quite the agnostic. Having grown up Catholic, there really was no other Christian religion to go to. I knew the Protestants didn’t have the answer. I flirted with Judaism, but mostly it was a selfish, immature period of my life where I focused on “me.”

Praise be to God that he let me come home. I credit a boat load of prayers by my family for my conversion. I hope I’m one of the devil’s biggest dissappointments. He had me in the bag and Christ reached in and plucked me out.

Back to the OP’s question, I think atheist like to use the RCC as an example to demonstrate just how far they’ve come in their own enlightened self-interest. “I was as Christian as one could get, but overcame all that nonsense and became an atheist.” That, IMHO, describes their mindset.
 
I feel that in all honesty, it’s a sad fact about my generation in specific. I’m in college now but when I was in high school it went around that being agnostic and/or atheistic was in all honesty the best and truly smart decision. Thank God that I saw the light my sophomore year of college and that He brought me back to my faith. The problem is that we’re willing to believe but so very often don’t know how to go about it or are not willing to ask for the help we need in finding our way back so we end up getting further and further away. I think that prayer really is necessary to helping them come back.
 
Catholicism is the largest single Christian “denomination” in America (excuse the term). It follows that there are more “former Catholics” than there are “former” members of any other denomination. Indeed, you may be shocked to know that nearly 10% of all Americans are former Catholics. religions.pewforum.org/reports. Nearly one third of those raised Catholic in the United States no longer consider themselves Catholic. That’s nearly 25 million people.

So while I understand the dismay at reading of this woman who is a Catholic turned atheist, rather than ask what’s wrong with her or wonder how she could have become an atheist after being raised a Catholic, all of us at Catholics need to look at the church and ourselves and ask what we can do to keep more people in the fold.

The sex scandals have dismayed many and caused many to leave the church. The allure of modern secularism (and its false “open mindedness”) and the temptations of our hedonistic culture pull many more astray, but we should not focus on them and blame them–if all of us were stronger, fewer would stray from the faith.

Those who post on this board are likely strong Catholics, so it may be hard to see any problems. But, we all likely know Catholics and Catholic families who are not as strong in their faith. They and their children are at great risk of leaving, although it can happen to anyone.

So, let’s all look inward and think what we can do to strengthen the Church, our families and ourselves, so that in the future, there are fewer former Catholics, and apply that with confidence in the world! Pray for those who leave the Church to return, but work to keep those who are here in the Church.

Peace,
A Former Agnostic
 
I don’t understand how not being a Catholic anymore makes someone some sort of expert on the faith. Saying that you used to be Catholic doesn’t give you any credibility in my book. To me it just means that something happened that caused you to be very confused.
 
I think a lot of folks from just about every faith goes through a period of self doubt and evaluation or re-evaluation of their beliefs. It’s tough to live up to the rules and guidelines of our faith. When all your friends are into drinking, partying and sleeping in late. It’s tough to get up on Sunday mornings and abstain from drink, sex etc.

In my kids friends, I see lapsed Catholics, lapsed Christians, lapsed jews, and lapsed muslims. It’s amazing that they all get along. Spirituality is not their primary focus. Among folks my age, I see folks returning to their faith. Religion is definitely stronger among the middle aged and elderly. I don’t know what keeps some young people in the faith, but I would sure like to find out and send it on to my ‘kids’.
 
I was a devout Catholic student who longed to be a religious sister. Then I stopped believing in God when I was about 14. While I was away from the Church, I used to say horrible things about it and about my experience in Catholic school. When I was 41, I returned to the Church. Now that I look back on it, I don’t think my early experience with the Catholic Church was horrible, and I’m not sure why I criticized it so much. Maybe the reason is because I knew that if I said something bad against the Church, most people would agree with me. Also, I was pretty ignorant about Catholicism, but I didn’t know it. And, though, my early experience with Catholicism was not nearly as bad as I reported it was, I still think the nuns who taught me were mean.
 
I was a devout Catholic student who longed to be a religious sister. Then I stopped believing in God when I was about 14. While I was away from the Church, I used to say horrible things about it and about my experience in Catholic school. When I was 41, I returned to the Church. Now that I look back on it, I don’t think my early experience with the Catholic Church was horrible, and I’m not sure why I criticized it so much. Maybe the reason is because I knew that if I said something bad against the Church, most people would agree with me. Also, I was pretty ignorant about Catholicism, but I didn’t know it. And, though, my early experience with Catholicism was not nearly as bad as I reported it was, I still think the nuns who taught me were mean.
My dad (and my granddad) stopped going to Mass a LONG time ago…my grandfather passed away, and my dad…he still believes in God and prays, just has not much to do with the Catholic church.

Being in Law enforcement has allowed him to see things that some other people haven’t. Like having to pick up a drunken priest on the side of the road which disgusted him…my grandfater who was a cop as well saw some things clergy did that would make you blush. There had been several events that just build in his young adult years that kept him from going to church.

Certain unChristian remarks preists here and there.

A lot of Baby Boomers fell away from the church during that situation with the change to the Vatican II.
 
My dad (and my granddad) stopped going to Mass a LONG time ago…my grandfather passed away, and my dad…he still believes in God and prays, just has not much to do with the Catholic church.

Being in Law enforcement has allowed him to see things that some other people haven’t. Like having to pick up a drunken priest on the side of the road which disgusted him…my grandfater who was a cop as well saw some things clergy did that would make you blush. There had been several events that just build in his young adult years that kept him from going to church.

Certain unChristian remarks preists here and there.

A lot of Baby Boomers fell away from the church during that situation with the change to the Vatican II.
I’ve heard that the main reason people leave the Church is because of other Catholics. I’ve just decided that I’m in for good now, no matter what anybody does or says to me.
 
I think to be honest she was Catholic in name only. We all start out atheists for all practical purposes. Original sin means, for one thing, for us to have an aversion to God, and a Catholic or otherwise Christian education does nothing directly to change that fact. Until we take hold of the reigns ourselves and begin to ask, seek, and knock, it’s very easy for pride to succeed in its desire, which is to keep God at a distance. This is a battle even for people who stay in the Church. It’s perfectly possible to honor God with our lips but have hearts that are far from Him, to paraphrase Matt 15:8. Conversion is a process, the purpose of which is to move us from atheism to full blown knowledge of and love for God, becoming a little less atheistic every step of the way. But it sounds like she had never really even gotten started down the path. Atheism is becoming more articulate and popular these days, appealing to our pride. Pray for her and for all people to be able to see through its allure.
 
There’s this woman I know of…she blogs about her atheism and how she came to be an atheist. The reason I post this…she admits to being a former Catholic, EVEN attended Catholic Highschool. (she’s in her early 20’s now). Mentions she’s had high marks in that highschool

She’s a local model as well, been on reality T.V., too (Beauty and the Geek).

But she really makes it obvious to people about her atheism and how she used to be a “former Catholic”.

My question is…why all hatred toward Christians with the way she expresses herself? How does one like go from being around Catholicism as a child, even going to school, to this?
There was a young man I knew in religion class who was raised Catholic but turned atheist as well. His reason? His family stopped attending Church every Sunday, so he stopped believing. It’s very sad how something so simple could have been avoided.

Hollywood is VERY atheistic in nature. Actors and actresses tend to see themselves as a god or even view money as an idol. Therefore, why should they believe in the Christian God (hypothetical of course)? You will find a few Catholics that are very loyal to the faith such as Jim Caviezel and Mel Gibson, and then there are others who only make movies for Catholic production companies. I have to commend them.

Brian Shields, a converted Catholic producer, came to my hometown and I so wanted to go (but my spiritual director told me to go to the Parish Mission instead), and he was talking about “Hollywood and Catholicism.”

It’s possible that the woman you speak of could be ignoring the faith, or she could view money, glamour, beauty, etc. as “god.”

I will keep her in my prayers that she sees the light before it’s too late!
 
I think to be honest she was Catholic in name only. We all start out atheists for all practical purposes. Original sin means, for one thing, for us to have an aversion to God, and a Catholic or otherwise Christian education does nothing directly to change that fact. Until we take hold of the reigns ourselves and begin to ask, seek, and knock, it’s very easy for pride to succeed in its desire, which is to keep God at a distance. This is a battle even for people who stay in the Church. It’s perfectly possible to honor God with our lips but have hearts that are far from Him, to paraphrase Matt 15:8. Conversion is a process, the purpose of which is to move us from atheism to full blown knowledge of and love for God, becoming a little less atheistic every step of the way.
VERY true! 👍 I used to be Catholic in name only (I was a “cradle” Catholic), but experience a reversion to the Church a year and 3 months ago. Before that, I didn’t understand the faith. I was not atheist or agnostic (I believed in the Christian God) I was just very confused about my beliefs. I started looking into Protestantism in all it’s different sects (non-denominational, Quaker, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc), but couldn’t find the answers I wanted. That’s when my mom wanted me to go to a Catholic retreat. She hated that I was struggling so much, and offered to pay for my way there. I thank God that she did! 😉 I met the Franciscans of the Renewal and the Sisters of Life and experienced an internal conversion after the Eucharistic Procession (I touched the humeral veil). Ever since then, I’ve read everything I can about Catholicism and I’m in the process of becoming a religious!!! 😃

I think that conversions and reversions are necessary in the faith. Not only do they bring the person (back) home, but they keep the faith alive! Nothing is a more powerful witness than one who was “lost, but then found.” :blessyou:
 
I am a former Catholic, now Atheist.

Usually people who turn away from their faith does so for very good reasons. It’s not like they just woke up one day and decided to stop believing.

To lose your faith is no small matter and goes together with a lot of hurt.

You look at the situation from the Catholic point of view, from your safe, secure bubble of perfect rules, and you fail to realize that those same rules hurt someone…this person has a lot of hurt that he/she carries with him/her that was the root cause of losing their faith.

On top of that you emerge into a world where you realize that you spent the bulk of your life living in a dream. They emerge into the world of rationalists and reason. We require proof and evidence and do not place our trust in empty promises, or believe someone because they say so, because someone else told them so. We emerge into a scientific world, where double blind control experiments and research, and deductive reasoning is the basis for how everything operates.

You realize that faith is not real, there is no evidence for it, it’s not quantifiable and, the evidence they can come up with is hearsay, at best.
Historical, to a degree, yes, but supernatural, and inspired? No.

I thought I’d weigh in with my 2 cents, since this thread is, at this stage, based on hypotheticals.
Thanks.
 
I am a former Catholic, now Atheist.

Usually people who turn away from their faith does so for very good reasons. It’s not like they just woke up one day and decided to stop believing.

To lose your faith is no small matter and goes together with a lot of hurt.

You look at the situation from the Catholic point of view, from your safe, secure bubble of perfect rules, and you fail to realize that those same rules hurt someone…this person has a lot of hurt that he/she carries with him/her that was the root cause of losing their faith.

On top of that you emerge into a world where you realize that you spent the bulk of your life living in a dream. They emerge into the world of rationalists and reason. We require proof and evidence and do not place our trust in empty promises, or believe someone because they say so, because someone else told them so. We emerge into a scientific world, where double blind control experiments and research, and deductive reasoning is the basis for how everything operates.

You realize that faith is not real, there is no evidence for it, it’s not quantifiable and, the evidence they can come up with is hearsay, at best.
Historical, to a degree, yes, but supernatural, and inspired? No.

I thought I’d weigh in with my 2 cents, since this thread is, at this stage, based on hypotheticals.
Thanks.
I appreciate everyone’s experiences but I’d like to say that faith is hearsay until it becomes personal and then the experience of God, like the experience of love, is no less real just because it can’t be weighed or quantified. Catholic faith is only indirectly related to the cultural phenomenon known as Catholicism. The Jews of Jesus day didn’t believe in the transcendent or supernatural any easier than we do in this age -they lived in a culture where such belief was expected but, by all accounts, the miracles and especially the resurrection were no less mind-blowing or paradigm shifting then they would be today.

The transcendent is by definition unquantifiable-it’s *supposed *to be pointing us to something beyond-something “bigger” than ourselves and STEM. I can’t give anyone a desire to know such a thing but I can attest to the fact that God will prove it to anyone who gives Him enough benefit of the doubt to search a little diligently. And there’s no reason that any reality that might transcend the world we live in should in any way contradict or interfere with the realities we may find in our search for truth with science. They’re separate realities by nature.
 
The Church has always been a staunch defender of both reason and science, and the university system was started in Christian Europe. If it’s impossible to be both religious and reasonable, how do you explain people like Albert the Great? Or Robert Bellarmine? Or Thomas Aquinas? Or Augustine? Or GK Chesterton?

Maybe there is an underlying assumption of atheism among many of modern scientists, but science is not telling them that. Atheistic humanist philosophy is.
 
I appreciate everyone’s experiences but I’d like to say that faith is hearsay until it becomes personal and then the experience of God,
But it’s still not provable, so it remains hearsay.
like the experience of love, is no less real just because it can’t be weighed or quantified.
But love in its base form can be explained by science, evolution, natural selection and neuroscience is doing great wok to quantify these in terms of brain functions, electrical currents, etc. That is not to detract from the emotional experience, but there is a difference between emotions and faith….placing your whole life in the balance without proof.
Catholic faith is only indirectly related to the cultural phenomenon known as Catholicism. The Jews of Jesus day didn’t believe in the transcendent or supernatural any easier than we do in this age -they lived in a culture where such belief was expected but, by all accounts, the miracles and especially the resurrection were no less mind-blowing or paradigm shifting then they would be today.
But that’s just it…The belief is culturally expected and that how kids get raised. You were raised in this fashion and were taught to believe certain things. You may have refined your religion on your own, converted, etc, but not many Christians turn Muslim, or vice versa. It’s ingrained into you to believe this. And usually it’s taken at face value. Even the reason given to grownups are little more than, “because it’s the way it’s always been”, or “Because the Church teaches it to be so”.
We need to realize that it’s just another myth, like to Christians, Islam appears to be a myth, and to Muslims, Christianity appears to be a myth…they are all the same….no one is based on any proof, otherwiSe we’d all have to convert to that religion.
The transcendent is by definition unquantifiable-it’s supposed to be pointing us to something beyond-something “bigger” than ourselves and STEM. I can’t give anyone a desire to know such a thing but I can attest to the fact that God will prove it to anyone who gives Him enough benefit of the doubt to search a little diligently.
So, basically the only way to know that there is a God is purely subjective, unquantifiable experience.
Why are you basing your whole life, and how you live it on unprovable ideas? To define it as unquantifiable by definition still requires proof to back up its claims. You are dealing with a book written by people, teaching you how to live your life, telling you to believe in God and the devil, based on what? Nothing. Hearsay. It has to be quantifiable.

I was one of the people who diligently searched for God for pretty much 20 years. Praying and pleading and begging for him to prove it to me, just like you mentions that He will. He didn’t. I begged for more faith, to believe, and nothing.
This is not the reason I left, but it certainly contributed to it in the end.
It’s all empty, this chase.
And there’s no reason that any reality that might transcend the world we live in should in any way contradict or interfere with the realities we may find in our search for truth with science. They’re separate realities by nature.
So, you can be a astrophysicist during the week and on weekends pray to someone that you have no proof of, believing in a book that fly in the face of all that you know as fact about your profession, about the cosmos and about the earth?
They are not separate realities, the one is reality and the other is a myth….just like Thor or Aphrodite is a myth. You cannot call religion a reality without evidence about its claims.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top