Catholic vs. Protestant Soteriology. HELP!

• Thread starter Thread starter Melchior
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Treatise on the Gift of Perseverance by Augustine (A.D. 428 OR 429):
CHAP. I --OF THE NATURE OF THE PERSEVERANCE HERE DISCOURSED OF… I HAVE now to consider the subject of perseverance … I assert, therefore, that the perseverance by which we persevere in Christ even to the end is the gift of God; and I call that the end by which is finished that life wherein alone there is peril of falling. Therefore it is uncertain whether any one has received this gift so long as he is still alive. For if he fall before he dies, he is, of course, said not to have persevered; and most truly is it said. … For if any one … have righteousness … if even faith, and fall away, he is rightly said to have had these virtues and to have them no longer; for he was … righteous, … or he was believing, as long as he was so; but when he ceased to be so, he no longer is what he was. … And the believer of one year, or of a period as much shorter as may be conceived of, if he has lived faithfully until he died, has rather had this perseverance than the believer of many years’ standing, if a little time before his death he has fallen away from the stedfastness of his faith.

40.png
Melchior:
b32865,

Just to clarify I believe I contribute nothing to my salvation. Not even faith. If I have it, it is a gift of God. I believe Salvation is completely monergistic in that sense. I don’t belief faith is a work. I believe it is a gift.

Thank you!

Mel
Faith is indeed a gift. We cannot believe in God and the mission of Jesus without the “super natural” gift of faith. Faith is, however, still a work. “Believing” is something we do. While our faith in God is not separated from grace, it is still a work because of our participation. I do not say this on my own or by simply reiterating a teaching of the church.

In John’s vision in the book of Revelation, Jesus warns members of the church at Ephesus that they might be destroyed if they do not repent and return to the love they once had. This is very clear in Rev 2:4-5 where Jesus says, “But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember then from what you have fallen, repent and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.” Then again just before addressing the transgressions of the church at Thyatira, Jesus says in Rev 2:19 that, “I know your works, your love and faith and service and patient endurance, and that your latter works exceed the first.” These verses are significant in two ways. They show the necessity of love in the plan of salvation, and they show that both love and faith are referred to as works.

Mel,
Your post made me so sad! How old were you when you were Catholic? I had a totally different experience growing up. I am wondering if alot of the sins you thought were mortal were actually venial. It sounds like you suffered from scruples in overdrive. One thing to remember is God’s capacity for mercy. A person has to be able to trust that their sins will be and are forgiven by the Holy Spirit when they repent. If a person commits mortal sin and makes a perfect contrition and dies on their way to confession, God will have mercy. Confession should be a gift of mercy, not a constant burden of worrying you won’t get there in time.

Do you mind me asking if you had an adult in your life who was obsessed with sin and religion and treated you badly, or constantly drilled guilt into your thoughts? I hope this isn’t too personal. You don’t have to answer that if you don’t want to.

The only time I ever felt anywhere similar to the way you describe was as a married adult when I realized using birth control was a sin…Sadly, I was never taught that so I didn’t know. Here I was, thinking my marriage was pleasing to God, trying all my life not to sin… it was like a slap in the face. I had quit using it years before because it didn’t seem right to me,( now I know why) I went to confession right away, but I was pretty upset!

thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, I will mull your post over for awhile, I might have a better response later.
Peace

I

When I read the first post I thought Mel suffered from scruples. Then as I skimmed the subsequent posts it seemed as though s/he was not very willing to accept some of the suggestions offered. I’m not sure what her/his reason for the post. However, I will offer a few comments that have probably already been covered but I haven’t yet read.

Mel, I’ve been scrupulous at times and have been told so by my confessor. When I learned that the pope goes to confession once a week, I wondered how any of us living in the secular world would be able to get to heaven if even the pope needs confession every week.

Then, I considered that the more one knows about right and wrong, the more responsible one is for his/her sins. I have been conscious of sins committed throughtout the day. I ask God for forgiveness when I go to bed and make a mental note to confess the sin at my next confession. Usually the sins are bad habits or laziness or otherwise venial. For example: anger. If I get angry with someone, that is against the 5th commandment (Thou shalt not kill). However, if I try to pray for the person I’m angry with or at least try to do something to ease the anger, it’s a venial sin. If I stew about it all day and try to think up vengeful ways to get back at the person, then I would consider it a mortal sin.

When I go to confession, if the priest sees a pattern, he may counsel me on that bad habit or vice. What is a bad habit to one person may be a mortal sin to another - depending on awareness and will of intent.

For example, consider the second commandment - Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain. We hear people all the time exclaim, “Oh, my g_d!” I know this is a serious sin - number 2 on the top 10. If I would say this, I would be in grave danger. However, people who don’t realize this sin is serious may not be in grave danger. One of the conditions has not been met (the one about knowing it’s a grave sin).

Now, getting back to examining one’s conscience before bed: If, while making the examination you realize a mortal sin committed that day (which would be obvious when it occurred, not before retiring), I would immediately beg God for his forgiveness and get to confession at the earliest occassion possible. I don’t take God’s mercy for granted. However, if I were to die before making the confession and receiving absolution (assuming I was planning to confess as soon as possible), I would have to trust in God’s mercy that He alone knows what was in my heart.

Now, one may ask: Then why do we need to confess our sins to a man? Because we cannot be our own judge about the seriousness of our sins and actions. You are proof of why that is dangerous. You did not trust the sacrament of reconcilliation and left the Church Christ established here on earth.

The bottom line is that we must do everything we can (work) to not fall into the habit of sin, especially mortal sin. We are still human and will sin but we need to develop virtues (again, work).

My suggestion would be to take your concerns to a priest to help you sort all this out. Go with an open mind and pray beforehand so that you will understand.

Keep us informed.

God Bless,
Denise

itsjustdave1988 said:
A Treatise on the Gift of Perseverance by Augustine (A.D. 428 OR 429):

Dave,

This mirrors the Lutheran belief exactly. Also, even a Calvinist would admit that they do will not know for sure that they are among the elect until they are in Heaven.

Mel, the Augustinian - In fact I am more Augustinian that Lutheran.

40.png
Peace-bwu:
Mel,
Your post made me so sad! How old were you when you were Catholic? I had a totally different experience growing up. I am wondering if alot of the sins you thought were mortal were actually venial. It sounds like you suffered from scruples in overdrive. One thing to remember is God’s capacity for mercy. A person has to be able to trust that their sins will be and are forgiven by the Holy Spirit when they repent. If a person commits mortal sin and makes a perfect contrition and dies on their way to confession, God will have mercy. Confession should be a gift of mercy, not a constant burden of worrying you won’t get there in time.

Do you mind me asking if you had an adult in your life who was obsessed with sin and religion and treated you badly, or constantly drilled guilt into your thoughts? I hope this isn’t too personal. You don’t have to answer that if you don’t want to.

The only time I ever felt anywhere similar to the way you describe was as a married adult when I realized using birth control was a sin…Sadly, I was never taught that so I didn’t know. Here I was, thinking my marriage was pleasing to God, trying all my life not to sin… it was like a slap in the face. I had quit using it years before because it didn’t seem right to me,( now I know why) I went to confession right away, but I was pretty upset!

thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, I will mull your post over for awhile, I might have a better response later.
Peace

I
Hi,

I appreciate your post.

I think the scruples thing is a bit overblown. But this is my story (it’s a bit long). I was eight years old and the son of a wonderful Catholic mother and Jewish father. My issue (to make it very short) was that I went to CCD and Mass every Sunday but I also knew I was a sinner and I was certain I was not worthy of Heaven. I just desperately wanted someone, a priest or CCD teacher to give me some reasonable hope that I was goung to Heaven. I wanted to know how to get to Heaven and be right with God. Well, long story short all the answers were cryptic non answers to my 8 year old mind. Well at the same time my incredibly messed up older brother (by ten years) had an incredible overnight born again experience. And through his guidance so did I. It was the first time I ever heard clearly that Jesus died for my sins and that I should trust Him and what he did for me for my Salvation. That was the most memorable day of my life, it is still right up there with my wedding and the birth of my children. I was truly converted to Christ and all fear was gone - replaced by hope and a real relationship with God that I never had. And frankly, it was something the Catholic Church never gave in way that was understandable. I remained in the Catholic Church until I was 18. An Evangelical the whole time. I never did find in those ten years any one in the Catholic Church ot CCD, confirmation class etc. who shared my relationship with Christ. Only my brother who remains, after 24 years now, the finest and most committed Christian I have ever met, understood my joy in Christ…(continues)

(continued from previous post)

…When I was 15 I started attending an Evangelical Church with him in the evenings and I got hooked up to there youth group. Finally, other kids who lived for the Lord and their lives reflected it! I continued to go to Mass every Sunday with my mother until I wa 18. It was hten that she said “I know your heart is not here. You need to come with me anymore. You and your brother are the only two of my eight kids who I know love Jesus so I am not worried about your souls”. That was when I officially lef tthe Catholic Church. It was in Protestantism that I found like minded teen and aduls who had the courage to live chaste lives for Christ and who were not ashamed of their faith.

Since then I have grown to a far more (c)atholic and sacramental understanding. This comes form reading alot of Church history and realizing that I had a sacramental deficiancy.

When I was catholic I ws poorly taught .My CCD teachers were cluesless teenage girls or clueless housewives who meant well but were woefully ignorant. The priests were dismissive and the catholic laity were no different than my Jewish relatives in belief and practive. Know one understood my desire to have peace in Christ. I think it was because they either did not have it or did not care or both.

Needless to say If I become Catholic my big concern is in raising children who have Evangelical zeal and resolve and not…well… typical Catholic attitudes (sorry!). The joy of my Salvation is was inspired me and most evangelicals. Can a catholic have such joy?

Mel

“Can a catholic have such joy?”

my opinion:
Sure, but our call is to carry our cross. Joy is a gift from God, but so, I think, is suffering when it unites with His meritorius suffering on the cross. If your children share in that then they will be a gift to the world and everyone around them, much better than simply having “joy”
peace

To Melchior

I agree with you 100% i grew up as a catholic and felt empty the whole time i do remember the fear they put in my young heart about God,still today i never heard the message of salvation in a mass church but i still can hear them talk about purgatory and the confessing of sins to a priest.
At the age of 8 a went to a baptist church and learn that Jesus came and die for me in a cross and i ask Him to enter my heart as my Lord and Savior since then the road has not been easy,but i know He walks with me every step of the way,what i have love the most about going to a baptist or evengelical church is that they teach me about the bible they don’t just read it, they encourage me to read and learn and grow in my walk with the Lord.
I know that one day i will go to heaven with out having to go thru purgatory first because Jesus in the cross pay for my sins and when he said:I’t is done… my salvation was sealed for ever and i am save by grace and not by works.
Only those who have experience a personal relationship with God can understand that and it is so tru when in Revelation 3:20 says
that He knocks on your door if you let Him in he will have a feast with you and you with Him.
When Jesus said that rivers of waters will run thru you and that you will never be thirsty again is the most beautiful joy that anyone can experience in this life.

40.png
JesustheSavior:
To Melchior

I agree with you 100% i grew up as a catholic and felt empty the whole time i do remember the fear they put in my young heart about God,still today i never heard the message of salvation in a mass church but i still can hear them talk about purgatory and the confessing of sins to a priest.
At the age of 8 a went to a baptist church and learn that Jesus came and die for me in a cross and i ask Him to enter my heart as my Lord and Savior since then the road has not been easy,but i know He walks with me every step of the way,what i have love the most about going to a baptist or evengelical church is that they teach me about the bible they don’t just read it, they encourage me to read and learn and grow in my walk with the Lord.
I know that one day i will go to heaven with out having to go thru purgatory first because Jesus in the cross pay for my sins and when he said:I’t is done… my salvation was sealed for ever and i am save by grace and not by works.
Only those who have experience a personal relationship with God can understand that and it is so tru when in Revelation 3:20 says
that He knocks on your door if you let Him in he will have a feast with you and you with Him.
When Jesus said that rivers of waters will run thru you and that you will never be thirsty again is the most beautiful joy that anyone can experience in this life.
So let me get this straight, your sins have no consequence for you? Wow, “where does it say that in the Bible?”

40.png
Mijoy2:
I relate to Mel, this is a huge problem of mine too. It appears to me there is a double standard. The double standard that comes from the interpretation of Mortal sin.

We use the term “grievious act” yet we put masturbation and missing Mass in this catagory. These may in fact be mortal sins, in fact I believe the argument for them to be mortal is quite clear in the CCC. Yet (and I apologize to those who have read my posts in the past, I just can’t seem to get beyond this) we rarely if ever bring up the FACT that the vast majority of Catholics commit one or the other, or both, of these sins continuously. Maybe not the majority of Catholics that frequent these forums but certainly the majority of Catholics as a whole. There is a disconnect here. It is not confronted directly by either the popular apologists (here and elsewhere) or the Priests at our parishes. How can anyone have peace knowing thier friends and family members are in a state of mortal sin?

This issue is not confronted head on by the Church, it appears to me. The people who visit these forums have varying ideas. To further complicate this, I do not think that the people visiting these forums represent a cross-section of Catholics. What of the others? What of the majority? I can’t seem to come to resolution with this.
Dear Mijoy

I agree that the Church, over the last four decades, has not clearly confronted these matters. But that’s a failure of leadership, not of doctrine. A lot of parish priests (and bishops) minimize, gloss over, or simply ignore things like the need to live a chaste life, the sanctity of marriage, the sinfulness of artificial contraception and abortion…

Don’t know what they think they’re doing with this “go-along-get-along” approach to morality… but they sure ain’t teaching Catholic doctrine! 😦

I also very much agree that it cuts up one’s peace to contemplate friends and family members in a state of mortal sin… which is why we should pray and offer up the daily trials of our lives for them and their salvation (and our own).

The one thing I do have a concern about is your statement, “The people who visit these forums have varying ideas. To further complicate this, I do not think that the people visiting these forums represent a cross-section of Catholics. What of the others? What of the majority? I can’t seem to come to resolution with this.”

Because it doesn’t really matter if we have a cross-section of Catholics here, or whether we all agree. Our varying opinions result from our varying states of ignorance 😉 - not from the varying Church doctrine. If you’re looking for resolution… the majority is seldom a source of anything but more confusion.

One sturdy Catholic, armed with the Catechism, can cut away a lot of the confusion on these issues… the Catechism is the thoughtful, and thorough application of the Scriptures, Tradition, and the writings of the Church Fathers to the matters of faith and morals which are the stuff of daily life. A good solid priest can help you work out any questions you might have… but you don’t need a cross-section of opinion.

And friend Melchior - while St. Paul says we should “work out our salvation in fear and trembling” - I don’t think he meant we should victimize our souls through excessive scrupulosity!

As a life-long Catholic, the attitude that you describe as “Lutheran” seemed more Catholic to me, than that which you described as “Catholic.” Don’t let a misunderstanding of Catholic doctrine be an obstacle to your faith.

May the grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ be upon you and bring you peace.

40.png
Melchior:
I don’t know that I could sleep at night as a catholic. My focus would be on judgment not mercy.

Does anyone know where I am coming from?

Mel
Mel -

As a Catholic, I am constantly reminded of the Mercy of God. Even when I am most stringently reminded of the Justice of God, it is in the Crucifixion of Our Lord - when He paid the price of our transgressions… which is yet another reminder of the Mercy of God.

Especially in this age, the Church calls us to remember and call on God’s Mercy.

About 8 years ago, I started praying the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy every day. Every day, I remember the Perfect Mercy of God, thank Him for it, and throw myself and the world at the feet of God in gratitude and supplication. As the Chaplet often repeats: “For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.”

Recognizing you’re Lutheran, I don’t want to offend… but I strongly recommend this simple prayer. It only takes about 5 minutes… but what a bounty of peace, and compassion toward others, you can harvest from this devotion to Our Lord.

If you are interested, let me know… I’ll send you a link.

All of this by way of saying: As a Catholic, I think one heckuva a lot about the mercy of God! 👍

Melchior said:
(continued from previous post)

…When I was 15 I started attending an Evangelical Church with him in the evenings and I got hooked up to there youth group. Finally, other kids who lived for the Lord and their lives reflected it! I continued to go to Mass every Sunday with my mother until I wa 18. It was hten that she said “I know your heart is not here. You need to come with me anymore. You and your brother are the only two of my eight kids who I know love Jesus so I am not worried about your souls”. That was when I officially lef tthe Catholic Church. It was in Protestantism that I found like minded teen and aduls who had the courage to live chaste lives for Christ and who were not ashamed of their faith.

Since then I have grown to a far more (c)atholic and sacramental understanding. This comes form reading alot of Church history and realizing that I had a sacramental deficiancy.

When I was catholic I ws poorly taught .My CCD teachers were cluesless teenage girls or clueless housewives who meant well but were woefully ignorant. The priests were dismissive and the catholic laity were no different than my Jewish relatives in belief and practive. Know one understood my desire to have peace in Christ. I think it was because they either did not have it or did not care or both.

Needless to say If I become Catholic my big concern is in raising children who have Evangelical zeal and resolve and not…well… typical Catholic attitudes (sorry!). The joy of my Salvation is was inspired me and most evangelicals. Can a catholic have such joy?

Mel

Oh, Mel… now your post has made me sad!

And also very grateful that I had better teachers in the Catholic faith. Both better catechists (my parents at the dinner table had a lot to do with that) and role models of living the faith (parents again, and a large extended family, an uncle who is a missionary priest… boatloads of people whose faith mattered to them every day).

And also very glad that you are continuing to search your Catholic roots, and finding the truth that should have been - and obviously wasn’t - taught to you as a child.

Let me assure you that a Catholic can have such joy… and even more so when I receive Our Lord in the Eucharist.

I think it’s a great idea for you to become Catholic, and raise your children to live it with joy and resolve.

My uncle-in-law used to be a Quaker. Before marrying my aunt, he agreed to raise the kids Catholic, as long as they weren’t “half-a**ed Catholics”! Long-story short: He’s a Catholic now… and very whole-hearted about it, too!

40.png
Gryphon:
Dear Mijoy

The one thing I do have a concern about is your statement, “The people who visit these forums have varying ideas. To further complicate this, I do not think that the people visiting these forums represent a cross-section of Catholics. What of the others? What of the majority? I can’t seem to come to resolution with this.”

Because it doesn’t really matter if we have a cross-section of Catholics here, or whether we all agree. Our varying opinions result from our varying states of ignorance 😉 - not from the varying Church doctrine. If you’re looking for resolution… the majority is seldom a source of anything but more confusion.

One sturdy Catholic, armed with the Catechism, can cut away a lot of the confusion on these issues… the Catechism is the thoughtful, and thorough application of the Scriptures, Tradition, and the writings of the Church Fathers to the matters of faith and morals which are the stuff of daily life. A good solid priest can help you work out any questions you might have… but you don’t need a cross-section of opinion.
Excellent advice. I have made such an appointment 🙂 . Not only was it easy (the priest seemed to sense my concern(s) in the confessional and he recomended we talk) but he seemed actually enthusiastic about the oppurtunity to assist. I walked away feeling as though God was doing the directing. These men (priests) are truly doing the work of our Lord here on earth.

40.png
Melchior:
Just to clarify I believe I contribute nothing to my salvation. Not even faith. If I have it, it is a gift of God. I believe Salvation is completely monergistic in that sense. I don’t belief faith is a work. I believe it is a gift…Please keep in mind I am a recent Lutheran. I have spent most of the last years as a Calvinist. So I am not diehard defender of Lutheranism. It just happened to be the best option (from a Protestant perspective) in my particular geographic location. It was the higher view of the Sacraments that drew me to Lutheranism more than anything else. And please keep in mind that Lutherans get their teachings from the book of Concord not primarily Luther.
Well, now that, and some of the other things you have told us about yourself make a more complete picture.

I had understood from a Catholic Answers radio interview with Scott Hahn (available on CD) that Lutherans believe that you contribute the faith that justifies yourself whereas Calvinists believe something closer to Catholics, that you can’t contribute your own saving faith, that you have to be regenerated first.

This thread, until recently, although called “Catholic vs. Protestant Soteriology”, focused mostly on mortal sin and the possibility of losing one’s justification. Now there has been some discussion about the role of baptism. There are some other basic differences between Catholics and Protestants: justification as a one-time event vs. justification as a process, grace as God’s favor vs. grace as also God’s life infused into us, and works as evidence of faith vs. works as also further justifying us.
40.png
Melchior:
Can a catholic have such joy?
Yes! Joy in the Truth, joy in the Eucharist, even joy in the Cross.

Mijoy2,

The very real suffering you experience knowing that those you love may not be right with God is a suffering that you can unite with Christ’s sufferings and offer to God on their behalf.

One plus about evangelizing lukewarm Catholics (among the many minuses!) is that you can try to get them to just go to confession.

40.png
Melchior:
What I meant is that there is not a person who who has not committed a mortal sin at some point in their life - other than Jesus of course and maybe Mary. All I meant is that we are all transgressors and even if we keep the law for years and years, chances are we have still violated it at some point and all it takes is once.
This is not the Catholic view at all. The Catholic view is that Jesus and Mary are the only two who never committed a venial sin. It should be entirely possible to go through life without committing a mortal sin. The great spiritual directors, for example, St. Ignatius or St. Francis de Sales, teach that purgation from mortal sin is the first step in the spiritual life.

I think some people are baptized as children, never stray from the sacraments (or as Protestants are given tremendous actual graces, probably through perseverance in prayer), and never commit a mortal sin. I think others stray, have a profound conversion experience, and never stray after that. I think other struggle all their lives with some disorder (e.g. homosexuality). But: they can stay out of mortal sin by frequent confession. In other words, they don’t confess frequently because they need to confess mortal sin; they confess frequently to stay out of mortal sin.

40.png
JesustheSavior:
To Melchior

I don’t think any Catholic on this thread would question that you had an authentic conversion experience. But you should develop a better understanding of the actual issues separarating Catholics and Protestants. The Catholic Answers web site (catholic.com/) or other Catholic apologist web sites (I like Dave Armstrong’s short papers at ic.net/~erasmus/RAZ312.HTM) can help you gain a better understanding of Catholicism (just as I check out Protestant web sites to gain a better understanding of where they’re coming from).

By the way, you must be quite a bit older than I (I am in my mid-40s). When I was a kid, it was the '60s and I didn’t hear a thing about purgatory or confession. We all made our First Communion without confession…I don’t think they had confessionals at our parish! I didn’t see the inside of a confessional until I was 15 and my mom took me to another parish, realizing Father was just never going to get around to it. I think my experience was pretty typical of people my age. :hmmm:

Hopefully Catholic children these days are hearing the “message of salvation” AND how confession and purgatory are part of it (mine are). Catholics who understand these doctrines find them comforting, not scary.

b32865

It should be entirely possible to go through life without committing a mortal sin. The great spiritual directors, for example, St. Ignatius or St. Francis de Sales, teach that purgation from mortal sin is the first step in the spiritual life.

Excellent point. 👍

Living a moral life where one does not commit mortal sin is hardly the summit of Christian perfection. The purgative way is the beginning of the spiritual life. I believe that it was Teresa of Avila that taught that if a Christian had reached the transforming union, that even one mortal sin would lead to damnation. That isn’t Catholic dogma, of course, but it does show that great spiritual directors taught that a life free from committing mortal sin is possible. And in teaching that, they were only affirming what Jesus and the Apostles taught.

You have taken this thread to exactly the direction it needs to go – a discussion about the three ages of the interior life:

The way of the Beginners

The way of the Proficients

The way of the Perfect

Mel,

Thank you for sharing your story of faith. It is awesome that you are still seeking especially for your children’s sake.

I have two teen-aged sons, 16 and 19, and they love the Church with all their hearts. They are hardly saints – they are lively and can even be wild – actually I rather think that they need to be terrified at times. But they know and understand the Church’s teachings and seem to have strong, personal relationships with Christ. They deeply appreciate the sacrament of reconciliation and both maintain that nothing could make a person feel better. I can say that they experience profound joy from this sacrament – it shines in their faces – and at the same time they pray daily and have very positive, enthusiastic views of life.

Christ’s love and mercy is emphasized more than it used to be. I think that is true even in more traditional Catholic churches. In our Maronite church, many of our priests are young and eager to teach our children about God’s love. There are more religious programs, activities, and retreats for young people than ever before. It is a wonderful time to be Catholic. The Church is racing to meet the needs of today’s children.

My sons are strong, faithful Catholics who believe that despite their many mistakes (sins,) Christ loves them and understands and forgives them – continually. When something weighs heavily on their Catholic consciences, they open their hearts to a priest and feel Christ lift the terrible burdens from their shoulders. When our priest absolves us, if we are face to face, of course, he presses the tops of our heads with his hand and prays for us, then lifts his hand as he says, “Go in peace. Your sins are forgiven.” As he lifts his hand and says that, one really does feel a weight physically and emotionally lifted. That’s why my sons emerge from confession feeling and looking so free.

I’ve heard many cradle Catholics speak of “Catholic guilt,” which I’ve never understood but which is obviously a widespread, sincere feeling/sentiment. I don’t know why church leaders made their parishioners feel that way in the past, but it is no longer the norm.

The Catholic Church has so much to offer, so many faucets. It is rich in spirituality and humanity. We have Tradition and the Holy Bible, the sacraments, the Mass, the lives of the saints, the many devotions and prayers, its centuries of writings, the beautiful churches, its universality, its feast days, and our pope. They all combine for a continual, joyous celebration of life and of God.

God bless you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back