R
rosejmj
Guest
Honestly it sounds like they care more about the letter of the law than the spirit. I think focusing on that takes away from what’s really important often, not always
Unless you’re a parent, it’s best to MYOB—mind your own business. Once an individual is beyond the formative years, such advice, unless requested, generally causes a problem that didn’t previously exist. If you “suspect” a fellow Catholic of anything, you’re trying to do God’s work; only He is to judge. If another’s “legalism” is causing you great consternation, you might ask the priest if he could work legalism into a homily and later discuss the homily, or you might keep your distance. Live and let live.This debate has raged for centuries. Nothing generally gets resolved. No problem. All in God’s good time…I am satisfied to know what I don’t know.
I should also have posted the question from an apologetics perspective. What advice might you give a brother or sister whom you suspect of legalism or some form of it? Thank you.
Whatever that means. The people that say that seem to mean that there are no duties and obligations to being a Catholic, just “do as thou wilt” because God doesn’t care. Just be nice (as defined by modern society) seems to be the beginning and end of the commandments in their eyes.All you have to do is look at some of the posts on Caf to know some Catholics are legalistic.
IOW, lots of people who want to keep His commandments, because they love Him. Can they sometimes be suffering from scrupulosity? Sure. Is trying to know the will of God and do it scrupulosity? No.Lots of, is this valid, what does Canon law say about xyz, what’s the proper way to do this, did I sin etc etc.
Very likely. People don’t like to be told what to do. We are to submit ourselves to God and His Church, not decide for ourselves what would please God.I think it may be a reason why people may be against organized religion.
You can, but it won’t get you to heaven. Faith without works is dead. Works without faith is just as dead.I can love and serve God and give my life for a good cause without a bunch of extra rules to worry about. Simplicity
@PsychaeI don’t see how these questions are relevant to this thread.
Thank you.I don’t see how these questions are relevant to this thread.
Ok now I’m confused. I thought legalism was legalism… whether it has to do with how the Church hierarchy decides to do things, or how some individuals can get all lawyer-ly about the rules. It all has to do with the implementation and interpretation of the law.I don’t think this is the type of legal thing the original poster means
Probably something like “don’t receive the Eucharist if you’re in a state of mortal sin”, so I didn’t bother responding to it.Psychae:![]()
What hoops do you mean?Thom18:![]()
I disagree. Just today I was talking with others at my parish who agreed with me that the Church is holding the sacraments hostage from us & our kids, until we jump thru hoops, “laws” if you like, to receive them. This is not oriented toward God. It’s an abuse of power.Our own “laws” are all rather oriented towards Him.
The Magisterium is the teaching authority of the Church. That does not mean that each individual Catholic gets to make such rulings.Zaccheus:![]()
We the laity are part of the Magisterium. So many people have forgotten this fact. It’s the sensus fidelium.We of the laity in general are not qualified to make that judgment. That’s for trained theologians and the Magisterium.
I want to begin driving a car. So I ask what standard of skill or knowledge does the law require of me? What does the law say about licencing. What laws govern required or forbidden behavior in traffic? I ask what laws apply to automobile maintenance.Honestly it sounds like they care more about the letter of the law than the spirit. I think focusing on that takes away from what’s really important often, not always