Catholics are legalists by default?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DBRANDT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly it sounds like they care more about the letter of the law than the spirit. I think focusing on that takes away from what’s really important often, not always
 
I think it may be a reason why people may be against organized religion. I can love and serve God and give my life for a good cause without a bunch of extra rules to worry about. Simplicity
 
Last edited:
This debate has raged for centuries. Nothing generally gets resolved. No problem. All in God’s good time…I am satisfied to know what I don’t know.

I should also have posted the question from an apologetics perspective. What advice might you give a brother or sister whom you suspect of legalism or some form of it? Thank you.
Unless you’re a parent, it’s best to MYOB—mind your own business. Once an individual is beyond the formative years, such advice, unless requested, generally causes a problem that didn’t previously exist. If you “suspect” a fellow Catholic of anything, you’re trying to do God’s work; only He is to judge. If another’s “legalism” is causing you great consternation, you might ask the priest if he could work legalism into a homily and later discuss the homily, or you might keep your distance. Live and let live.
 
All you have to do is look at some of the posts on Caf to know some Catholics are legalistic.
Whatever that means. The people that say that seem to mean that there are no duties and obligations to being a Catholic, just “do as thou wilt” because God doesn’t care. Just be nice (as defined by modern society) seems to be the beginning and end of the commandments in their eyes.
Lots of, is this valid, what does Canon law say about xyz, what’s the proper way to do this, did I sin etc etc.
IOW, lots of people who want to keep His commandments, because they love Him. Can they sometimes be suffering from scrupulosity? Sure. Is trying to know the will of God and do it scrupulosity? No.
 
Here’s the thing, though. If education is necessary for the reception of certain formative sacraments, then it makes no sense that Baptism isn’t withheld as well, until education can take place. There’s a double standard.
 
Last edited:
I think it may be a reason why people may be against organized religion.
Very likely. People don’t like to be told what to do. We are to submit ourselves to God and His Church, not decide for ourselves what would please God.
I can love and serve God and give my life for a good cause without a bunch of extra rules to worry about. Simplicity
You can, but it won’t get you to heaven. Faith without works is dead. Works without faith is just as dead.
 
I don’t think this is the type of legal thing the original poster means, but yes, the assignment of faculties (the letter) is a type of legal thing. The Catholic Church has laws, canon law, and tends to follow it/them. I’m thinking that OP was concerned with salvation by works, a rather Protestant phrase, so I’m not sure Catholics will catch on to what OP means by it.
 
I don’t think this is the type of legal thing the original poster means
Ok now I’m confused. I thought legalism was legalism… whether it has to do with how the Church hierarchy decides to do things, or how some individuals can get all lawyer-ly about the rules. It all has to do with the implementation and interpretation of the law.

I’m remembering Jesus said “The law was made for man, not man for the law.” Legalists in the Church seem to have it the other way. “Our whole lives are to hear and obey unquestioningly!”
 
Perhaps you didn’t read my earlier posts. (At least one of them was deleted.) It seems there’s a little confusion here.

What I am talking about is giving the infants Baptism, Communion, and Confirmation all at once. Without any education. Then educating them later, as they grow up.

Converts would be another story.
 
I don’t know what DBRANT meant, but I’ve seen it used (not by Catholics) to mean salvation by works. In that instance it seems to refer to the idea that Catholics have that sacraments “do something” and aren’t mere symbols, or else it seems to mean some type of Pelagianism or salvation by being good enough on your own, apart from grace.
 
I see. Most others in this thread seem to have taken it to mean what I have taken it to mean. Confusion happens.
 
40.png
Psychae:
40.png
Thom18:
Our own “laws” are all rather oriented towards Him.
I disagree. Just today I was talking with others at my parish who agreed with me that the Church is holding the sacraments hostage from us & our kids, until we jump thru hoops, “laws” if you like, to receive them. This is not oriented toward God. It’s an abuse of power.
What hoops do you mean?
Probably something like “don’t receive the Eucharist if you’re in a state of mortal sin”, so I didn’t bother responding to it.
 
I agree. But I also have a friend who inho is hung up on the rubrics, but unless it’s to the point of obsession or some such, I just try my best to show her another way that has worked well for me. It is only my personal witness. She can discard the bones of whatever is not particularly helpful.
 
Last edited:
40.png
Zaccheus:
We of the laity in general are not qualified to make that judgment. That’s for trained theologians and the Magisterium.
We the laity are part of the Magisterium. So many people have forgotten this fact. It’s the sensus fidelium.
The Magisterium is the teaching authority of the Church. That does not mean that each individual Catholic gets to make such rulings.
 
Honestly it sounds like they care more about the letter of the law than the spirit. I think focusing on that takes away from what’s really important often, not always
I want to begin driving a car. So I ask what standard of skill or knowledge does the law require of me? What does the law say about licencing. What laws govern required or forbidden behavior in traffic? I ask what laws apply to automobile maintenance.

Am I being legalistic?

If not, why should I have less concern for the law of God and God’s Church than for safe driving laws?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top