Commandments

  • Thread starter Thread starter BTTG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
lets just stick with the query/question and not get carried away with irrelevances - lets forget or momentarily ignore the Sabbatarians and ask how about you - does your week start on a Sunday or Monday - twinc
My week starts on a Sunday. My secular work week starts on a Monday. How about yours?

Blessings,

Brian
 
lets just stick with the query/question and not get carried away with irrelevances - lets forget or momentarily ignore the Sabbatarians and ask how about you - does your week start on a Sunday or Monday - twinc
How does one define “your week”? At work, the payperiods begin on Saturday. Therefore, if I want to flex my hours, I have to do it prior to Midnight on Friday, after which “my week” of assigned hours starts fresh. 😃
 
Does your calendar week start on a Sunday or Monday - twinc
If you are trying to make the point that our secular calendar treats Monday as the first day of the week - sure, but I’m not sure what your point is.

The bibllical calendar treats Saturday as the “7th” day and Sunday as the “1st day”.

So, to God, my “first day of the week” is Sunday (more accurately - Saturday after Sundown until Sunday at Sundown) and to “man” my “first day of the week” has been established as Monday. For that matter, “we” “men” could have created a calendar with Thursday as the first day if we wanted to -so not sure exactly what point you are trying to make 🙂

Blessings,

Brian
 
If you are trying to make the point that our secular calendar treats Monday as the first day of the week - sure, but I’m not sure what your point is.

The bibllical calendar treats Saturday as the “7th” day and Sunday as the “1st day”.

So, to God, my “first day of the week” is Sunday (more accurately - Saturday after Sundown until Sunday at Sundown) and to “man” my “first day of the week” has been established as Monday. For that matter, “we” “men” could have created a calendar with Thursday as the first day if we wanted to -so not sure exactly what point you are trying to make 🙂

Blessings,

Brian
why the complication/s - stop jumping the gun - its not what you conclude at this juncture or point in time - all I’m asking is what does your calenday say if you have one or more in the house or at work or anywhere else - presumably as a Catholic/Christian you might even have a good Catholic/Christian calendar with each feast day etc - have a look and lets know and then will try to explain something about the sabbath etc - twinc
 
why the complication/s - stop jumping the gun - its not what you conclude at this juncture or point in time - all I’m asking is what does your calenday say if you have one or more in the house or at work or anywhere else - presumably as a Catholic/Christian you might even have a good Catholic/Christian calendar with each feast day etc - have a look and lets know and then will try to explain something about the sabbath etc - twinc
Interesting to see where your going with this:)

craig
 
If you are trying to make the point that our secular calendar treats Monday as the first day of the week - sure, but I’m not sure what your point is.

The bibllical calendar treats Saturday as the “7th” day and Sunday as the “1st day”.

So, to God, my “first day of the week” is Sunday (more accurately - Saturday after Sundown until Sunday at Sundown) and to “man” my “first day of the week” has been established as Monday. For that matter, “we” “men” could have created a calendar with Thursday as the first day if we wanted to -so not sure exactly what point you are trying to make 🙂

Blessings,

Brian
Hi Brian

Quick question. The quote that you provided in Jer., when does this new covenant take place and to whom is the new covenant given to?

Thanks

craig
 
Hmmm. Sure sounds like they found their sabbath rest in Christ!

Really? Who are they?

I think this is just another strawman, Craig.

No one has claimed otherwise, Craig. It appears that Paul continued to celebrate Sabbath until his death, which is what one might expect of a Palestinian Jew, as were al the Apostles.

But he NEVER tried to make Gentiles into Jews, or enforce the Law of Moses, or impose sabbaths.

Exactly! Wouldn’t this be a dandy time to remind them to observe the Sabbath?

You seem to want to ignore the fact that “sabbath” is used in this passage.
I will reply in the next few days. Just a little busy now. I had time last week to respond quickly as I was on vacation. Now back to work. With the grace of our Lord, and the power of the Holy Spirit I will be resting in Jesus and walking with Him everyday.

craig
 
I apologize if this has been brought up already…

It seems to me that the observance of the Sabbath rest on Saturday was commanded to commemorate two things. According to Exodus 20:11, it was commanded to commemorate God’s rest on the seventh day of creation (Genesis 2:1-3), which may or may not have been a Saturday. And, according to Deuteronomy 5:15, it was commanded to commemorate the defining event in Jewish history, God’s Saturday deliverance of the Israelites from their slavery in Egypt. (Exodus 12:1-51) By the first thing, the concept of a weekly day of rest is established and, by the second thing, Saturday is established as the weekly day of rest for the Old Covenant Jews.

For Christians, however, the Saturday Exodus of the Jews from Egypt pales in comparison to the Sunday Resurrection of Jesus Christ, the defining event in Christian history. So, it makes perfect sense that Sunday would be established as the day of weekly rest for New Covenant Christians.
 
why the complication/s - stop jumping the gun - its not what you conclude at this juncture or point in time - all I’m asking is what does your calenday say if you have one or more in the house or at work or anywhere else - presumably as a Catholic/Christian you might even have a good Catholic/Christian calendar with each feast day etc - have a look and lets know and then will try to explain something about the sabbath etc - twinc
No one is “jumping the gun”, and it has nothing to do with what we “conclude” but what has been revealed by God. It is true, the world of men can count any day they want as their “first day of the week”. It will not change what has been revealed in the Holy Word of God.

The arguement you are trying to bring is founded upon a false premise. That is what we are noticing. any “conclusions” that rest upon it will also be false.

Well, go ahead and put forward your Sabbatarianism. Catholics are bound by what God has revealed to the Church, not what is on secular caledars 2000 years after the fact. 🤷
 
If you are trying to make the point that our secular calendar treats Monday as the first day of the week - sure, but I’m not sure what your point is.
Hi Brian

I agree with you. God established "the " Sabbath day, not “a” Sabbath day. God knows the past, present and future. God blessed, rest and sanctified the Sabbath day during the creation week. Wow, from the beginning of earth’s history God wanted a day for all to remember Him, a day to keep Holy. According to some they only look at the day as a day of “rest” and say we rest in Christ everyday, which I totally agree we want to rest in Christ everyday. But now, man is saying that Sunday should be the blessed day, the holy day. The Sabbath was being observed by man before Jews ever existed.

craig
The Apostles taught us to keep every day Holy, because Christ IS our Sabbath rest. However, we are instructed to be accomodating to persons such as yourself who are weak in the faith, and we will not criticize you for observing a certain day of the week, if this is what you feel you must do.

Catholics gather on Sunday to celebrate the Lord’s Supper because that is Resurrection day.
 
Hi Brian

Quick question. The quote that you provided in Jer., when does this new covenant take place and to whom is the new covenant given to?

Thanks

craig
It was given to “Israel” -though per Romans, the Gentile believers were grafted into the promises made to Israel.

It was fulfifled at Pentacost, for those who came to faith in Christ when God’s law was written into the hearts of believers. It will have its final and complete fufillment, as Paul says in Romans 11, “after the full allotment of Gentiles comes in” (eg. in the end times) when “all Israel” will be saved. I believe this means both the “Israel of God” (all believers) and on another level, including the lost 10 tribes of Israel who had disappeared into the Gentile nations after Assyrian exile (which unlike the Babylonian exile, never ended).

Blessings,

Brian
 
The Apostles taught us to keep every day Holy, because Christ IS our Sabbath rest. However, we are instructed to be accomodating to persons such as yourself who are weak in the faith, and we will not criticize you for observing a certain day of the week, if this is what you feel you must do.

Catholics gather on Sunday to celebrate the Lord’s Supper because that is Resurrection day.
so it is Resurrection day but not the sabbath day - so we keep it holy not because it is the sabbath day but because it is Resurrection day - or is this not so - twinc
 
It was given to “Israel” -though per Romans, the Gentile believers were grafted into the promises made to Israel.

It was fulfifled at Pentacost, for those who came to faith in Christ when God’s law was written into the hearts of believers. It will have its final and complete fufillment, as Paul says in Romans 11, “after the full allotment of Gentiles comes in” (eg. in the end times) when “all Israel” will be saved. I believe this means both the “Israel of God” (all believers) and on another level, including the lost 10 tribes of Israel who had disappeared into the Gentile nations after Assyrian exile (which unlike the Babylonian exile, never ended).

Blessings,

Brian
Hi Brian,

I agree with you in your response up until " including the 10 lost tribes ( 144,000), but that’s another discussion.

Now, back to the 10 commandments and the laws in our hearts.

(Jer 31:33) But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

(Heb 8:9) Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. (Heb 8:10) For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

After Pentecost the law ( 10 commandments ) this includes the keeping of the Sabbath (Saturday) as a blessed, holy day… a day of worship. God made this a covenant that he will put the laws is to be in out hearts and mind with all men ( not just Jews ) after Pentecost. God never brakes a covenant. God never mentions that the covenant after Pentecost will exclude the Sabbath day and the Holy day will be Sunday.

craig
 
Hi Brian,

I agree with you in your response up until " including the 10 lost tribes ( 144,000), but that’s another discussion.

Now, back to the 10 commandments and the laws in our hearts.

(Jer 31:33) But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

(Heb 8:9) Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. (Heb 8:10) For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

After Pentecost the law ( 10 commandments ) this includes the keeping of the Sabbath (Saturday) as a blessed, holy day… a day of worship. God made this a covenant that he will put the laws is to be in out hearts and mind with all men ( not just Jews ) after Pentecost. God never brakes a covenant. God never mentions that the covenant after Pentecost will exclude the Sabbath day and the Holy day will be Sunday.

craig
Agrreed - the Sabbath commandment continues, but it is fulfilled in our rest in Christ, “today” and “every day” (Hebrews).

Blessings
 
Hello, I wish I knew your first name. Just saying hello, here I am again seems awkward:)

Before we continue I am a little confused. I want to make sure I understand you.

In earlier posts the following question/answers took place.

I asked…Does the Catholic Church believe/have to obey in the 10 commandments?

You replied…All Christians are to keep the …(Jas 2:10) For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. The HS infills us and enables us to follow His commandments with joy.

1John.5
[1] Every one who believes that Jesus is the Christ is a child of God, and every one who loves the parent loves the child.
[2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.
[3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

Then in another reply you stated…Yes, but we are not under the Law. We are under grace.

I asked…Do you know how worshiping on Sunday first began?

You responded…Yes, it began in the Upper Room, where the Apostles coward in fear because they thought they would be next.

I stated…The Catholic church that now say the Lord’s Day is in honor of His resurrection. I previously provided many scriptures to what day is the Lord’s day.

You responded…Yes, this was the Teaching of the Apostles. That is why they gathered at “broke bread” on the first day of the week. The Catholic Church has preserved the practices of the Apostles.

You also responded with…The phrase “gathered to break bread” is a reference to the celebration of the Lord’s Supper (the Body and Blood).

I stated… The words in the verse explain why the disciples had gathered…" for fear of the Jews". It does not say they were gathered to observe the Lord’s supper.

You replied…I don’t recall anyone here claiming they were?

Do you agree that Jesus in the flesh kept the Sabbath as a day of worship )?

Do you agree that most of the Apostles kept the Sabbath as a day of worship?

In (Rom 8:4) That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

is the" law" the “10 commandments”?
is the 10 commandments with or without the Sabbath day of worship?
is “us” both Jews and Gentiles?

Thank you

craig
 
Agrreed - the Sabbath commandment continues, but it is fulfilled in our rest in Christ, “today” and “every day” (Hebrews).

Blessings
I agree with all my heart that we want to rest in Jesus everyday. Would we be a Christian if we only rested one 1 day, and said we can manage ourselves the other 6 days.

The Sabbath commandment continues so we need to obey what it says. God is specific when He states (Exo 20:11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Whenever the Sabbath is mentioned in the Bible it is “the” Sabbath day, not “a” Sabbath Day.

We cannot change the Sabbath Day that he specifically instituted, to now 7 days. If you take out the Sabbath “Day”, you are removing a commandment.

maybe I should ask what do you mean by “rest”.

Thanks Brian

craig
 
I apologize if this has been brought up already…

It seems to me that the observance of the Sabbath rest on Saturday was commanded to commemorate two things. According to Exodus 20:11, it was commanded to commemorate God’s rest on the seventh day of creation (Genesis 2:1-3), which may or may not have been a Saturday. And, according to Deuteronomy 5:15, it was commanded to commemorate the defining event in Jewish history, God’s Saturday deliverance of the Israelites from their slavery in Egypt. (Exodus 12:1-51) By the first thing, the concept of a weekly day of rest is established and, by the second thing, Saturday is established as the weekly day of rest for the Old Covenant Jews.

For Christians, however, the Saturday Exodus of the Jews from Egypt pales in comparison to the Sunday Resurrection of Jesus Christ, the defining event in Christian history. So, it makes perfect sense that Sunday would be established as the day of weekly rest for New Covenant Christians.
Hi Todd

Abraham kept the commandments, therefore the Sabbath…Gen. 26:5.
Why would God have to “rest” on the Sabbath? Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
Adam knew of the commandments. He sinned. Broke the law (10 commandments). Where there is no law there is no sin. Sin is transgression of the law.

What is “weekly rest”

Thanks Todd
 
Hi Todd

Abraham kept the commandments, therefore the Sabbath…Gen. 26:5.
Why would God have to “rest” on the Sabbath? Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
Adam knew of the commandments. He sinned. Broke the law (10 commandments). Where there is no law there is no sin. Sin is transgression of the law.

What is “weekly rest”

Thanks Todd
I know you addressed this to Todd, but Gen 26:5 does not refer to the mosaic law - it wasn’t given yet at Sinai (which is the first place the Sabbath was laid down as a commandment). The commandments Abraham followed were those set forth in the scriptures - circumcision, leaving his family, going to the land of Canon - all based upon faith (which was accredited him to righteousness).

“Rest” was the completion of God’s creation and we “rested” perpetually in His presence. When we were banished from the garden of Eden - we lost His presence and His “rest”.

Our weekly Sabbath (commanded at Sinai) was a weekly glimpse of the rest - a memory of “creation” and of “exodus” (redemption from bondage). When Christ came and the HOly spirit entered our heart - we again walk “in the presence of God” and in his “rest” always fufilling the commandment to rember the “Sabbath”.

The Lord’s Day - like the Sabbath - recalls “creation” - this time the “new creation in Christ” into which we are born at baptism and the redemption - this time from sin.

Blessings,

Brian
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top