Commandments

  • Thread starter Thread starter BTTG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Craig - I understand your perspective. However, by the same token, God gave us “only” plants to eat in the garden of Eden (that was His law); then God gave us “all animals” to eat (after Noah); then God gave Israel (and only as a command to Israel), “only clean animals” to eat; then God made “all animals clean”. Do you have a similar problem with that?

Its not that God is changing His mind - it was always His plan. That is why we read in Jeremiah (well before the new covenant) that some day in the future there would be a “new covenant” that would be “expressly different” than the mosaic covenant. Not a change in mind - but a different part of God’s time line for his plan of revelation and commandments for us.

Blessings,

Brian
What “sabbath days” is Paul talking about in the following text? (Col 2:16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

thanks

written with love
 
The commandment that was broken out of the 10 commandments was the first, you shall have no other gods before me.

Eve believed and was obedient to the serpent rather then God.
Sorry that is not the commandment that Adam broke. Adam only knew one God the True God. He worshipped no other.

Adam disobeyed but he did not disobey that commandment. Do you have another?

Jesus did and said many things that were not recorded but handed on by word of mouth to the Apostles. Jesus gave Peter the Keys to heaven telling him what he bound on earth would be bound in heaven. Jesus told the apostles that man was not made for the Sabbath but the Sabbath for man.
 
The commandment that was broken out of the 10 commandments was the first, you shall have no other gods before me.

Eve believed and was obedient to the serpent rather then God.
Eve did not know the 10 commandments.
 
I thought the resurrection is observed by the ceremony of baptism?

Jesus states while in the flesh referring to baptism, the Holy spirit, Passover. Jesus three times predicts Hid death and Resurrection with no mention of honoring His resurrection on Sunday. While Jesus was talking and instructing about the Lord’s supper, this would have been an opportune time to mention about the observance day of His resurrection.

I am not denying the first day of the week is Sunday. And Jesus rose on Sunday. No where in the bible does it say that Sunday is the day of worship, the day all should cease from there labors, a day that has been blessed and sanctified by God.
The New Testament has a number of references to Sunday being the day of wroship for Christians. No such reference for Saturday.
 
It is just that I find it very difficult for God knowing the past, present and future, to have one of His commandments that He gave to all people in the OT, now in the NT to have a different meaning of the Sabbath Day.
You’re not alone. Many found Christ’s teachings and life difficult.
 
The New Testament has a number of references to Sunday being the day of wroship for Christians. No such reference for Saturday.
There are numerous verses in the NT that the day of worship was/is the Sabbath/Saturday both that of the Jews and Gentiles. Take a read in Acts 13:14-15, 44-46; 16:13;17:2; 18:4, Luke 4:16.

I can’t find in the NT about worshiping on Sunday?
 
Sorry that is not the commandment that Adam broke. Adam only knew one God the True God. He worshipped no other.

Adam disobeyed but he did not disobey that commandment. Do you have another?

Jesus did and said many things that were not recorded but handed on by word of mouth to the Apostles. Jesus gave Peter the Keys to heaven telling him what he bound on earth would be bound in heaven. Jesus told the apostles that man was not made for the Sabbath but the Sabbath for man.
You said that Adam disobeyed. You are correct. Adam disobeyed his Father. For God was Adam’s Father. (Exo 20:12) Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

May I politely suggest that you quote the verses. You stated, “that man was not made for the Sabbath…”. The scripture reads, " The sabbath was made for man…"

Hey look what the verse says after the verse you quoted…(Mar 2:27) And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Therefore, the Sabbath was made for the sake of, andbefore man ( at creation week- Saturday). Notice Jesus did not say the Sabbath was made for the Jew.

(Mar 2:28) Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

What day is “holy” to the Lord…

(Isa 58:13) If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

It seems clear that the Sabbath day, is God’s holy day. Would God change His holy day to another day?
 
You are a very sincere man. So, who do I believe the Catholic Church, or scripture?
Believe both. But the person you were responding to was not implying mutual exclusivity. He was just talking about private interpretation. Nothing more than that.

To answer the OP, yes.
 
There are numerous verses in the NT that the day of worship was/is the Sabbath/Saturday both that of the Jews and Gentiles. Take a read in Acts 13:14-15, 44-46; 16:13;17:2; 18:4, Luke 4:16.

I can’t find in the NT about worshiping on Sunday?
Craig - you received many replies from posters in this thread demonstrating in scripture that believers gathered on the “first day of the week” and writings from the first century testifying to worship on that day.

Found this interesting blub including a quote from Justin Matry

Christians “kept the Sabbath” in spirit when they remembered that all days are potentially holy in Christ. The eschatological age, or end time, had come through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Doing everything in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ is a way to know and be renewed by a “perpetual Sabbath.” Refraining from physical work on Sunday was not essential for early Christians. Refraining from works of evil was the way to keep the Sabbath, and everyday, holy. In this way, Christians proclaimed that Jesus Christ remains Lord of the Sabbath. His works of healing, consoling, and teaching on the Sabbath show the real meaning of God’s law of love which knows no rest. This sentiment is already evident in the reflections of writers of the second century, like Justin Martyr: “The new law demands that you (Christians) observe a perpetual sabbath, whereas you (Jews) consider yourselves pious when you refrain from work on one day out of the week …. If there is any perjurer or thief among you, let him mend his ways … in this way he will have kept a true and peaceful sabbath of God” (Dialogue with Trypho 12).
 
You said that Adam disobeyed. You are correct. Adam disobeyed his Father. For God was Adam’s Father. (Exo 20:12) Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Nice try but this commandment does not refer to God the Father. Adam and Eve did not refer to God as their father. Maybe I just don’t recall the verse that they do so please quote it if I have missed it. That also brings up something I hadn’t thought of. How could Adam and Eve have the Commandments. Who would they honor as parents. It isn’t singular. Who would they steal from? Who would they commit adultery with? How could they covet their neighbors goods? Who would be their neighbors? Beside this has already been settled by you as I have noticed that you state in your post that Moses was given the ten commandments.
May I politely suggest that you quote the verses. You stated, “that man was not made for the Sabbath…”. The scripture reads, " The sabbath was made for man…"
I didn’t quote exactly. I didn’t have time to look it up but I thought that you were knowledgeable enough to know what I was referring. Sorry for the err.
7 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: [R] +]
28 so that the Son of man is lord even of the sabbath.
Jesus is Lord and He said to Peter
(Isa 58:13) If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day
*; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
It seems clear that the Sabbath day, is God’s holy day. Would God change His holy day to another day?
He did. The Sabbath was made for Man. We are to give one day to God. That is the point not which day. I believe that Jesus was correcting the very thing you are promoting. We aren’t made for the Sabbath. .
 
There are numerous verses in the NT that the day of worship was/is the Sabbath/Saturday both that of the Jews and Gentiles. Take a read in Acts 13:14-15, 44-46; 16:13;17:2; 18:4, Luke 4:16.

I can’t find in the NT about worshiping on Sunday?
Luke 4:16 was before Jesus died. Sunday became the day of worship after Jesus’ resurrection.
Acts 20:7
1 Corinthians 10:16-17,1 Corinthians 11:23-24

I wish to point out to you that none of the versus you cite say anything about Gentiles. I don’t believe you can show any verse that specifically mentions Gentiles worshiping on a Sabbath. Paul was trying to convert the Jews. The best place for that would be where they would meet. The largest gathering would be in the synagogues. In fact, scripture so states that Paul Acts 13 “they proclaimed the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews” It doesn’t say Paul’s synagogue but the synagogue of the Jews. That indicates to me that Paul was not worshiping but preaching.
 
Hi everyone! Please bear with me as I am new to this forum. I found this site while I was searching for some answers about the 10 commandments.

If I may add something about the 10 commandments, I think the RC church follow these commandments but I noticed that in the catechism the Roman Catholic Church, the 10 commandments are different compared to the original 10 commandments that God gave.

The Catholic Church Ten Commandments:
  1. I am the LORD your God: you shall not have strange Gods before me.
  2. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  3. Remember to keep holy the LORD’S Day.
  4. Honor your father and your mother.
    so on and so forth…
    **
    God’s Ten Commandments:** from Exodus 20:
  5. You shall have no other gods before me.
  6. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
    you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God,…
  7. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
  8. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, … for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
It seems to me that the Roman Catholic church follow a different set of 10 Commandments… Why is this so???

In Christ,
Matthew
 
Luke 4:16 was before Jesus died. Sunday became the day of worship after Jesus’ resurrection.
Acts 20:7
1 Corinthians 10:16-17,1 Corinthians 11:23-24

I wish to point out to you that none of the versus you cite say anything about Gentiles. I don’t believe you can show any verse that specifically mentions Gentiles worshiping on a Sabbath. Paul was trying to convert the Jews. The best place for that would be where they would meet. The largest gathering would be in the synagogues. In fact, scripture so states that Paul Acts 13 “they proclaimed the word of God in the synagogues of the Jews” It doesn’t say Paul’s synagogue but the synagogue of the Jews. That indicates to me that Paul was not worshiping but preaching.
You are right about Luke 4:16

I already commented on Acts20:7 - breaking of bread was a daily custom, You are suggesting that this meetings was a gathering of worship, would it be a custom to worship until midnight, Jesus did not specify what day the The Lord’s supper was to be observed, etc, etc.

1 Corinthians 10:16-17,1 Corinthians 11:23-24 - No mention at all that the observance of the Lord’s supper is to be done on the first day of the week.

**Sabbath worship in the NT **

Paul EVERY Sabbath…(Act 18:4) And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

The Sabbath commandment is for the “stranger” too. The fourth commandment itself says the “stranger” is to rest on the Sabbath. Exodus 20:10. “Strangers” are non-Jews, or Gentiles. Thus the Sabbath applies to them too. Read also Isaiah 56:6.

Isaiah said Gentiles should keep the Sabbath. “Also the sons of the stranger … every one that keeps the Sabbath … for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.” Isaiah 56:6, 7. Thus the Sabbath is for Gentiles and “all people,” not just for Jews.

Gentiles kept the Sabbath in the Book of Acts. “The Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath … Paul and Barnabas … persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.”’ Acts 13:42, 43. Here saved-by-grace Gentiles kept the Sabbath (see also verse 44).

Luke was a Gentile who kept the Sabbath. Luke was the only Gentile who wrote any New Testament books (he wrote The Gospel According to St. Luke and The Acts of the Apostles). Luke traveled with Paul and wrote, “On the Sabbath we went out of the city by a river side.” Acts 16:13.

These verses provide ample evidence that both the Jews and the Gentiles worshiped on the Sabbath.

written with love
 
Hi everyone! Please bear with me as I am new to this forum. I found this site while I was searching for some answers about the 10 commandments.

If I may add something about the 10 commandments, I think the RC church follow these commandments but I noticed that in the catechism the Roman Catholic Church, the 10 commandments are different compared to the original 10 commandments that God gave.

The Catholic Church Ten Commandments:
  1. I am the LORD your God: you shall not have strange Gods before me.
  2. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  3. Remember to keep holy the LORD’S Day.
  4. Honor your father and your mother.
    so on and so forth…
    **
    God’s Ten Commandments:** from Exodus 20:
  5. You shall have no other gods before me.
  6. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
    you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God,…
  7. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
  8. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, … for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
It seems to me that the Roman Catholic church follow a different set of 10 Commandments… Why is this so???

In Christ,
Matthew
Hi Mathew

Thanks for joining in.

I too asked the same question. What the Catholic church does with the 10 commandments, is that their first commandment includes " you shall have no other gods" and “you shall not make for yourselves a carved image…” as one commandment/the first commandment.

I have noticed too that in Catholic literature on the 10 commandments, they do not state the first commandment as " you shall have no other gods and you shall not make for yourselves a carved image". The first commandment stated in their literature reads " you shall have no other gods" which is followed by the second commandment and continued with the rest of the commandments.

written with love
 
Craig - you received many replies from posters in this thread demonstrating in scripture that believers gathered on the “first day of the week” and writings from the first century testifying to worship on that day.

Found this interesting blub including a quote from Justin Matry

Christians “kept the Sabbath” in spirit when they remembered that all days are potentially holy in Christ. The eschatological age, or end time, had come through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Doing everything in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ is a way to know and be renewed by a “perpetual Sabbath.” Refraining from physical work on Sunday was not essential for early Christians. Refraining from works of evil was the way to keep the Sabbath, and everyday, holy. In this way, Christians proclaimed that Jesus Christ remains Lord of the Sabbath. His works of healing, consoling, and teaching on the Sabbath show the real meaning of God’s law of love which knows no rest. This sentiment is already evident in the reflections of writers of the second century, like Justin Martyr: “The new law demands that you (Christians) observe a perpetual sabbath, whereas you (Jews) consider yourselves pious when you refrain from work on one day out of the week …. If there is any perjurer or thief among you, let him mend his ways … in this way he will have kept a true and peaceful sabbath of God” (Dialogue with Trypho 12).
With respect, I have received scriptures about the first day of the week, but many more concrete verses about Sabbath worship, then about a verse or two that has a very weak interpretation of Sunday worship.

Was Justin Matry a prophet?

written with love
 
Nice try but this commandment does not refer to God the Father. Adam and Eve did not refer to God as their father. Maybe I just don’t recall the verse that they do so please quote it if I have missed it. That also brings up something I hadn’t thought of. How could Adam and Eve have the Commandments. Who would they honor as parents. It isn’t singular. Who would they steal from? Who would they commit adultery with? How could they covet their neighbors goods? Who would be their neighbors? Beside this has already been settled by you as I have noticed that you state in your post that Moses was given the ten commandments.

The Sabbath/Saturday, as quoted in scripture is God’s " holy day", does God now in the NT change that to Sunday? I don’t believe that he does.

written with love

I didn’t quote exactly. I didn’t have time to look it up but I thought that you were knowledgeable enough to know what I was referring. Sorry for the err.

Jesus is Lord and He said to Peter
 
Nice try but this commandment does not refer to God the Father. Adam and Eve did not refer to God as their father. Maybe I just don’t recall the verse that they do so please quote it if I have missed it. That also brings up something I hadn’t thought of. How could Adam and Eve have the Commandments. Who would they honor as parents. It isn’t singular. Who would they steal from? Who would they commit adultery with? How could they covet their neighbors goods? Who would be their neighbors? Beside this has already been settled by you as I have noticed that you state in your post that Moses was given the ten commandments.

I didn’t quote exactly. I didn’t have time to look it up but I thought that you were knowledgeable enough to know what I was referring. Sorry for the err.

Jesus is Lord and He said to Peter
 
Hi Mathew

Thanks for joining in.

I too asked the same question. What the Catholic church does with the 10 commandments, is that their first commandment includes " you shall have no other gods" and “you shall not make for yourselves a carved image…” as one commandment/the first commandment.

I have noticed too that in Catholic literature on the 10 commandments, they do not state the first commandment as " you shall have no other gods and you shall not make for yourselves a carved image". The first commandment stated in their literature reads " you shall have no other gods" which is followed by the second commandment and continued with the rest of the commandments.

written with love
I don’t know what literature you are reading but try the Catechism
THE FIRST COMMANDMENT
I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them.3
It is written: “You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top