E
erbo
Guest
Hello all,
I was recently debating someone about the Catholic sacrament of confession. They protested with the usual “why should I confess sins to a man when I can confess them directly to God”.
I responded with a claim that God gave men the authority to forgive sins, citing Matthew 9:8, which says:
I know there are other verses I can use (John 20 comes to mind) to support confession to priests, but I was wondering what people thought of my friend’s interpretation of Matt 9:8 not referring to “men” in general, but to Jesus specifically. Thanks!
-Eric
I was recently debating someone about the Catholic sacrament of confession. They protested with the usual “why should I confess sins to a man when I can confess them directly to God”.
I responded with a claim that God gave men the authority to forgive sins, citing Matthew 9:8, which says:
They replied that I took the verse out of context. They said this verse is about Jesus healing the paralytic, and verse 9:8 is what they said about Jesus (not realizing that he was also God).“When the crowds saw this they were struck with awe and glorified God who had given such authority to human beings.”
I know there are other verses I can use (John 20 comes to mind) to support confession to priests, but I was wondering what people thought of my friend’s interpretation of Matt 9:8 not referring to “men” in general, but to Jesus specifically. Thanks!
-Eric