Continuing Anglicans

• Thread starter Thread starter William1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s be clear: For those in full communion with the Holy Father. As side point: Apostolic succession is so grasped at by various other communions, from Lutheran to Anglican to Presbyterian via every possible stretch of both reality and imagination. The ‘Dutch touch’, etc .etc .etc.

If all that effort were simply placed into humbling oneself and moving to unity - not just talking about it and seeking how to obtain it without being Catholic - the world would be better off. Less division, less distraction, less detraction, less of all things evil.

Your position noted.

A curious historical point. The process that eventually resulted in the promulgation of Apostolicae Curae began with a meeting between Charles Lindley Wood, 2nd Viscount Halifax, a pious and extremely Anglo-Catholic Church of England layman, and the Abbe Portal, a French RC priest. Which started the lengthy story leading to Apostolicae Curae and ended with the Malines Conversations as a final gasp. Much history, theology, personalities and politics in the tale.

The point of Halifax’s and Portal’s efforts was to attempt to narrow the gap between the RCC and the Church of England, with a goal of eventually…who knows. The story is best related, in full, in ABSOLUTELY NULL AND UTTERLY VOID, written by (then) RC priest John J. Hughes. The same priest who was the first Anglican priest to receive conditional ordination as a RC priest, post Apostolicae Curae, as previously mentioned. I commend it to you.

Last edited:
Does the whole Anglican Communion automatically recognize all the ordinations and consecrations in any of the Anglican type groupings outside the AC?

For instance, might the C of E say “we are confident the ordinations of this particular group Continuum group are valid, but we hold judgement as to validity of their consecrations”.

How do Continuum Churches decide on a new bishop? Do the various Continuum bishops as a group lay hands on them, or is everything within the given Church?

1. Does the whole Anglican Communion automatically recognize all the ordinations and consecrations in any of the Anglican type groupings outside the AC?
  2. For instance, might the C of E say “we are confident the ordinations of this particular group Continuum group are valid, but we hold judgement as to validity of their consecrations”.
  3. How do Continuum Churches decide on a new bishop? Do the various Continuum bishops as a group lay hands on them, or is everything within the given Church?
  1. I don’t know. Certainly various member Churches in the Communion have participated in various consecrations outside the Communion, as in the case of the current Archbishop of the ACNA.
  2. Never heard of anything like that.
  3. Bishops are chosen varyingly within the Continuum jurisdictions. On the 2nd part, I’ve seen it done both ways. The Continuum Churches generally are in communion. I’ve recived from visiting priests from a number of Continuum Churches in my parish. One such priest was for several years a fill-in for us.
IOW, it varies. No surprise.

Last edited:
Does the whole Anglican Communion automatically recognize all the ordinations and consecrations in any of the Anglican type groupings outside the AC?
I can say something about the orders recognised by the Church of England, where such recognition is not automatic, They are, according to the (somewhat dated) document linked to below, the orders of churches with which the CofE is in full communion, of course; plus the Roman Catholic Church: the Reformed Evangelical Anglican Church in South Africa; and the Free Church of England. To this list has subsequently been added the Anglican Church in North America.

This is not intended as an exhaustive list, but merely one of churches on whose orders the archbishops of England have ruled. I am sure there would be no Anglican doubt, for instance, about the orders of the Orthodox Church.

The document below gives details about the recognition process.

Last edited:
Sure. But the faithful can hardly be expected to check the records every time they want to go to Church.

I am sure there would be no Anglican doubt, for instance, about the orders of the Orthodox Church.
A strange quirk of history is that in the 1920s the Patriarchate of Constantinople determined the Anglicans had valid apostolic succession. On this basis, some Orthodox dioceses (e.g. the Antiochean Archdiocese in the US) don’t re-ordain Anglican priests who are received into their communities.

But from what I gather it’s very variable, particularly given some very problematic theological developments in the later 20th century.

Sure. But the faithful can hardly be expected to check the records every time they want to go to Church
It’s really not a problem. If the worshipper is an Anglican in England, for instance, and is concerned about the validity of women’s ordination, he or she goes to a Forward in Faith parish church where the clergy have lines which do not include women.

I don’t have to. Im a Catholic and Catholic orders are always valid.

The fact that there are multiple viewpoints does not alter the fact that only one viewpoint is right.

4 of the major Continuing jurisdictions are in serious discussions with the PNCC and the Union of Scranton, aimed at forming a single jurisdiction.
The PNCC now usually presents as the NCC, except when they advertise their fish fries in the local Polish American communities.

As the older (Pol-Am) conservative generation passes they try harder to recruit annoyed Catholics, of any ethnicity, for any annoyance.

I know less about the Continuum, but my impression is that they are more focused on certain theological principles, to which the NCC is presently compatible.

Interesting.

Last edited:
I would just love it if some extremely knowledgeable persons would put together a handy infographic on who accepts whose orders.

If you find one, post it.

I got some wants in some of my areas of interest myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back