Cream of Wheat will remove black chef from packaging

• Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s see, over 100 years ago, some farmers from the Dakotas came up with him. No big deal. I don’t see racism in him.

The history is something like that.

Last edited:
Well, the Black comedian Lenny Henry wrote and starred in a series call Chef. It was about a black chef.

Should he apologize?

Some on the topic. But hey, I’m not sure if Sanford and Son, Good Times, even some Richard Pryor could be performed today. Times change. I’m not sure though, I’d say nowadays is more enlightened, more “woke”, it’s just a different time. The pendulum could swing back.

Would it be acceptable to have a modern Black chef on the package?
It almost seems worse if Black or indigenous people are “disappeared” from advertising, maybe?

Is it okay to have an old fashioned White chef or cook?
Is the problem that he’s hinting at slavery? Like “here’s a picture of my slave making cream of wheat”? Or what?

What was offensive about the Cream of Wheat depiction?
I don’t know… that what the article said is the reason it was changed.

I personally think if the person on the box was portrayed in a positive respectful manner, there’s nothing wrong with the image.

That wasn’t the case for a few of the people used by these companies… but if that was the case, the company should have made clear the reason for using the person on their product… pumped up how the person was always treated with the utmost respect and specifically paid properly for his/her time & image… and there was never any intent of being offensive or disrespectful.

Talk about being the best, positive type of advertisement for product, showing the world you care about the people who buy your product. It also would show how you always cared and respected them from the beginning… not just blah-blah years ago just so you can keep selling your product…IMO

but like I said I don’t know… that what the article said is the reason the image was changed.

What was offensive about the Cream of Wheat depiction?
Nothing that I can see. In fact, if it was intended to be racist, wouldn’t it be an attempt to keep people from buying it? I loved it as a kid.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

It was cited (we are depending on my memory of events from around 55 years ago, here) in a book collecting the best, most effective, 100 ad campaigns of the (then) 20th Century.

Little did they know what woke would do.

Last edited:
It was cited (we are depending on my memory of events from around 55 years ago, here) in a book collecting the best, most effective, 100 ad campaigns of the (then) 20th Century.

Little did they know what woke would do.
He looks like somebody’s dad or uncle. Someone you’d like to get yo know.
One wonders ( but not too much) why the woke disapprove of such a positive representation of an American black.

I just see a black chef? I’m not sure if it was him or Aunt Jemima but as a kid I thought that they were on the box/bottle because they invented it. So I thought they were cool.

To me he does look like someone in the hospitality industry. With the bow tie, chef’s hat.
Not really a home cook.
Not sure why that would be bad.

Last edited:
In the ad (IIrc) he looks like someone’s son.

As to motivation, with these folks, also look for the drive to power as the primal urge.

Companies change package design all the time.

I eat cream of wheat three or four times a year. The package lasts for over a year.

I’m really a stone ground grits type, myself.

Cream of wheat was for my younger days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back