Cream of Wheat will remove black chef from packaging

• Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Black comedian Lenny Henry wrote and starred in a series call Chef. It was about a black chef.

Should he apologize?
Think now of what you said: “Black comedian”. Think how this differs from ‘Jose Jimenez’ and Gosden and Correll.
What was offensive about the Cream of Wheat depiction?
A hackneyed portrait of blacks in a subordinate position which whites felt comfortable with?

Last edited:
As a resident of the Ozarks, am I supposed to be offended at the following:
  1. Yes and many are. Why is it when commercials want to show someone stupid the person has a Southern accent? ‘Pass the Polanna jelly!’
  2. White folks are the generic majority in this country. Its the burden they must bear.

Think now of what you said: “Black comedian”. Think how this differs from ‘Jose Jimenez’ and Gosden and Correll.
Your point is??? That I mentioned he is black? That’s because he’s an Englishman who for all I know is totally unknown to most people.
A hackneyed portrait of blacks in a subordinate position which whites felt comfortable with?
Since when is “Chef” a subordinate position?

Last edited:
Your point is??? That I mentioned he is black? That’s because he’s an Englishman who for all I know is totally unknown to most people.
You ever see two fat women call each other fat? There’s a difference in outsiders seeing others as the butt of jokes.

One has to understand the history of black folks in America being seen in popular culture as comical, childlike subordinate folks. That’s why blacks seem so sensitive – there is too much history of them being the butt of jokes.

And so contemporary whites now say ‘What’s the issue?’
Since when is “Chef” a subordinate position?
Since kitchen work was the highest position to which blacks could aspire.

Last edited:
I guess it’s a matter of who wants to take offense at whom, mostly for political reasons. I don’t see where the Cream of Wheat guy is any more “subservient” than Chef Boyardee.

I’m throwing out all my blues and jazz albums because most of them depict black people on the cover. no more racism in my house

How does that guy look “subordinate”?
His attire seems more in line with the head chef.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

that is the definition of false equivalency.
Why? You think Black musicians aren’t portrayed a certain way to get maximum sales? Do you think the company label heads / marketing etc weren’t White?

you’re far too vague. What “certain way” are they portrayed to maximum sales? The label should and will be changed must like Aunt Jemima already is/was. Just because it’s been like that for years does not mean it’s ok to continue to project a racist stereotype, even though many don’t see it that way.

Is there anything out there that’s not offensive to someone? Will we get to the point where no images are ever used and products are only advertised by lettering and box color? What if the lettering or color is deemed offensive to someone?
Kerning offends my deeply held values and so I will only purchase products labeled in a monospace font.

Last edited:
Papyrus!!! (Great SNL sketch you should check out) speaking of fonts

Is there anything out there that’s not offensive to someone? Will we get to the point where no images are ever used and products are only advertised by lettering and box color? What if the lettering or color is deemed offensive to someone?
It wasn’t so very long ago that there were complaints that black people were “underrepresented” in advertising. One real oddity of recent advertising is the near-prevalence of mixed race couples in television advertising; far more common than you see in real life. On the other hand, Amy Coney Barrett gets attacked for adopting black children.

For the militants, I don’t think anything will ever be adequate to satisfy their rage at whatever they’re enraged about.

In addition to mixed-race couples, an advertisement must always feature a hip, Millennial, light-skinned black woman with curly hair.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

For the militants, I don’t think anything will ever be adequate to satisfy their rage at whatever they’re enraged about.
And because they are subjectivists, they claim the right to decide not only if they are offended, but if a thing was offensive. The rest of us are then forced to play in a game of ever moving goalposts

One real oddity of recent advertising is the near-prevalence of mixed race couples in television advertising; far more common than you see in real life.
I think there are far more than people realize.
I have the opportunity to be in our touristy downtown rather frequently, and the numbers continue to surprise me.
On the other hand, Amy Coney Barrett gets attacked for adopting black children.
Some of the attacks are vicious and outright racist. Ibram Kendi Comes to mind.

Last edited:
I agree.

I don’t see what is exactly racist about a black chef.

No more racist than Betty Crocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back