Cream of Wheat will remove black chef from packaging

• Thread starter Thread starter Maxirad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.

I don’t see what is exactly racist about a black chef.

No more racist than Betty Crocker.
Actually I did later look up Cream of Wheat and actually, I would be inclined to say the portrayal of the attitude of “Rastus” would be racist but only from the wikipedia article, people have a right to defend themselves. This doesn’t mean it’s a closed case.

The character of Rastus had once been depicted as a cook who was barely literate and did not know about vitamins. Rastus is also a derogatory term traditionally associated with African Americans in the United States.[11] For these reasons, B&G Foods had been under public pressure for years to make changes.[10]

“Cream of Wheat” also went through changes, the first people came up with the idea to have him on their merchandise but then, just like Aunt Jemimah, they have had a few different owners.

Then, there are pictures at the wikipedia link of some past illustrations. So, I will save posting such an image here, they are at the webpage.

I have eaten in places, chefs, black and white had those cook hats. It’s not a totally easy call.

Last edited:
Who knew his name was supposed to be “Rastus”? I never heard that before today.
No, but it’s profoundly sexist to stereotype a woman as a cook. Shame, shame. :roll_eyes:

I still have difficulty figuring out who should be offended by Chef Boyardee.

I think he’s a wild card. Anyone may be offended.

Last edited:
40.png
Sarcelle:
No, but it’s profoundly sexist to stereotype a woman as a cook. Shame, shame. :roll_eyes:

Italians. Obviously.

the labels on niger bird seed was changed years ago apparently because people can’t read. none of this supises me

How about the Quaker Oats guy? He looked just like Barbara Bush,wonder if she was offended?:woman_facepalming:t2:

Raspberries to those under 40 and not aware of Li’l Abner. This offends me.

And it was way past stereotypes, at it’s height.

Never forsook the stereotypes, mind.

Last edited:
40.png
Sarcelle:

The world is a step ahead regarding sexist marketing over racist marketing. We no longer accept this type of sexism in advertizing.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

So odd. Instead of changing perspectives companies are whitewashing any and all ethnicity on products. From the Washington football team to aunt Jemima to this. All I thought was hey they have a probably pretty good chef on the package. Now, it’s like, there are no good black chefs. It seems opposite of what it should be. There are a lot of people from the 60s south that would probably like all the erasing going on nowadays.

A shame, too. It was, to my thinking, very entertaining. Very clever. Now and then one still sees reference to a “Li’l Abner” sandwich and I understand there are still Sadie Hawkins Day races here and there.

But my citing it is hardly sillier than getting into a high dudgeon over the Cream of Wheat guy. Since Li’l Abner was also one of Cream of Wheat’s ad characters, it seemed appropriate to bring him up.

Raspberries to those under 40 and not aware of Li’l Abner. This offends me.

And it was way past stereotypes, at it’s height.

Never forsook the stereotypes, mind.
Sexist young men of my youth took pride in the appearance (and number) of their girlfriends, and wanted other young men to see them. One of the greatest “compliments” I received was once when a girlfriend from home visited me at the college. She truly was drop dead beautiful and was built like a brick you-know-what. She also had the local Ozark accent. My friends took to calling her “Daisy Mae”. I don’t think it was the accent that prompted it, either. Shame on me for my ego of yore!

I guess it’s a matter of who wants to take offense at whom, mostly for political reasons.
An you realize that the correct answer when someone is offended is to say “Please excuse me. I apologize for offending you.” What is INCORRECT to say is “Don’t be offended. You’re too sensitive.”
I don’t see where the Cream of Wheat guy is any more “subservient” than Chef Boyardee.
The company called the Cream of Wheat guy ‘Rastus’. You think that’s just fun an inoffensive?
Chef Boiardi was a person and the company Anglicized the spelling to add to the product’s name. Boiardi agreed to the change.

You see the difference? Or should we stop calling them ‘Brazil nuts’ to keep from breaking tradition?

Last edited:
40.png
LumineDiei:
Is there anything out there that’s not offensive to someone?
Ask the individuals portrayed if they agree with the portrayal.
Frank White seemed to be so keen on his depiction, he had it inscribed for posterity in his final resting place.

Last edited:
It wasn’t so very long ago that there were complaints that black people were “underrepresented” in advertising.
Maybe they were not presented as they were.Why must cartoonish black depictions be used to sell products?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back