G
Godfollower
Guest
Hmm. The definitions I’m finding of Shachah are broader than just “bow down” – they’re more like “bow, bow down, beseech, bow down in worship, prostrate before God, prostrate before idols,” etc. We would all agree that worshiping an object is forbidden, but my original comment still seems to stand: isn’t this passage aimed (however it’s translated) at worship as opposed to the physical act of bowing?godfollower- The Hebrew word is Shachah in the original, it means to bow down. The same word is used in Lev 26:1
'Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God. ’
To put it another way: if you study karate or tae kwon do, part of the discipline you’ll learn is to bow to the mat (tatami?) when you enter the ring, as well as bowing to the master and to your opponent. Is bowing to the mat idolatry? I really don’t think so; it’s a cultural habit not meant to take away from God.
After all, the word shachah seems to be used throughout the Old Testament in the worshiping sense (e.g., Mickey’s various cites in the previous post), where people bow down before things in worship (e.g., 2 Chr. 29:28-30). Again, I ask, why do you assume that the physical act of bowing is prohibited as opposed to the metaphorical use of the term to mean worship?
To analogize: the First Commandment says “You shall have no other gods before Me.” The sense is not one of physical placement (you can have other gods besides Me, but I get to stand in front); it’s one of metaphorical use: you can’t worship other gods at all. This text seems to be used the same way: you can’t worship anyone or anything other than God. I find it very hard to believe that God would be offended at the physical act of my bowing before someone or something – unless it was in worship or adoration, because those are properly reserved to God alone.