K
KBarn
Guest
I will wait to see how the “compromise” turns out, but if it turns out poorly, I think the Constitution Party may have my vote for national elections at least.
Know much about the CP? I gathered signatures to get a CP candidate on the ballot of U.S. Senate last year (the GOP pro-life Senators were safe).I think the Constitution Party may have my vote for national elections at least.
If I were a Democrat those words would be music to my ears!I will wait to see how the “compromise” turns out, but if it turns out poorly, I think the Constitution Party may have my vote for national elections at least.
Originally Posted by gilliam
Before the Dems can use the super-majority clause they will first have to convince the decenting Republicans that it is appropriate otherwise the Republicans and impose the rule they were planning on imposing tomorrow.
Originally Posted by mikev
This isn’t the way i understand it. According to several sources I’ve read, it is up to each Democrat senator to decide when to fillibuster…
The agreement in no way requires a senator to convince another senator that his fillibuster is “appropriate.” Presumably none of the Republicans feel that a fillibuster of Myers and Saad is appropriate. But that appears certain to happen, and their inclusion in a section of the agreement outside of the three cloture candidates is de facto approval of that fillibuster.Originally Posted by gilliam
All depends on if they are Senators of their word, (read the agreement)
Yes, it is a “gentlemen’s agreement”Your statement is accurate only to the extent that a senator may choose to withdraw from the agreement if he feels that another senator is truly abusing his discretion in determining what constitute “extraordinary circumstances”. Anything short of that, and the larger onus appears to be on the Republican signatories not to support any rule change.
The parameters of the deal insure that six of eight obstructed Bush nominees to the federal judiciary will receive an up or down confirmation vote in the Senate. The three most opposed Bush nominees to the court, Priscilla Owen, Janice Rogers Brown and William Pryor, will not have their nominations blocked any longer; also, three other Bush nominees will eventually receive an up or down confirmation vote as well; the only two nominees who still may be filibustered are Michigan judge Henry Saad and William Myers.
Also as part of the compromise, the Democrat moderates promise to prevent any future filibuster of Bush appeals court and Supreme Court nominees. While Democrats were able to have their “exceptional circumstances” clause inserted in the deal, no one anticipates that such a situation will arise, assuming Democrats keep their promise. And it appears, that a number of promises were being tossed around the negotiation room on Monday afternoon.
Several Republican senators involved in negotiations swore that not only will the six Bush nominees be given an up or down vote, but that Democrats in the room were aware that Republicans involved in the negotiations had agreed to vote cloture on Myers as well, and that Democratic negotiators had agreed that such a move could take place, thus also allowing Myers an up or down vote in the Senate. “Assuming that our guys hold themselves to that promise,” says another Republican staffer working on the Judiciary committee, “then we’re looking at a clean sweep for confirmations.”
Critical of course. But this bleeds the Culture of Death.cool. It is the supreme court nominations I worry about.
Can’t explain how this is a victory; because I agree with you.Here is a question I have.
The Democrats say that this deal is a victory for the American People and Democracy.
This deal keeps the “tradition” (in quotes for a reason that will become apparent below) of filibustering judicial nominees.
Now the “nuclear option”, which was better describe by Rush Limbaugh as the constitutional option, was to declare such a filibuster as unconstitutional.
So can someone please tell me how it is a victory for America to keep a “tradition” that is unconstitutional?
Just becuase it is a “tradition” does not mean it is correct. Honor killings of women are “tradition” in many cultures of the world. Slavery was a “tradition” in early America. Neither of those are correct.
Not a nice deal at all for pro-lifers. Two of the seven Republicans senators who could have ended the filibuster of judicial nominees were pro-life this time. Next time for the Supreme Court, “the Compromise Committee” would need only Lisa Murkowski or Arlen Specter to block a conservative pro-life Supreme Court nomination.Pretty nice deal for the Republicans. It basically says that the normal mode of opperations will be an up and down vote and only in very rare circumstances will they insist on a super-majority vote.
Before the Dems can use the super-majority clause they will first have to convince the decenting Republicans that it is appropriate otherwise the Republicans and impose the rule they were planning on imposing tomorrow. And require a regular up or down vote (which is what the constitution says anyway).
So true. The Republicans chose the right fight at the right time and lost.Here is what James Dobson had to say (I agree with him and I could not possibly be more done with the republicans):
“This Senate agreement represents a complete bailout and betrayal by a cabal of Republicans and a great victory for united Democrats. Only three of President Bush’s nominees will be given the courtesy of an up-or-down vote, and it’s business as usual for all the rest. The rules that blocked conservative nominees remain in effect, and nothing of significance has changed. Justice Clarence Thomas, Justice Antonin Scalia, and Chief Justice William Rehnquist would never have served on the U. S. Supreme Court if this agreement had been in place during their confirmations. The unconstitutional filibuster survives in the arsenal of Senate liberals.”
releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=47847
I’m not so sure I see it this way:Pretty nice deal for the Republicans. It basically says that the normal mode of opperations will be an up and down vote and only in very rare circumstances will they insist on a super-majority vote.
Before the Dems can use the super-majority clause they will first have to convince the decenting Republicans that it is appropriate otherwise the Republicans and impose the rule they were planning on imposing tomorrow. And require a regular up or down vote (which is what the constitution says anyway).
We had the Supreme Court. As long as Bush nominated a pro-lifer, he/she would have gotten confirmed. A second chance may not come around.We’ll see how this turns out. I hope the Republican leadership is viewing these boards.
The Democrats stand for just about everything I am against. The Republicans “in theory” stand for many things I believe in. But if they can’t get control Congress when they are in control of Congress, they stand for nothing in my opinion and therefore I would be done voting for them.
I haven’t come to that conclusion just yet, but this critically important issue I am watching close to see how they handle their “majority”. So far, I am not impressed. The proof will be in the results of this action.
Some of them are. They are afraid of real change. They are not willing to put themselves on the line for the kind of change that might occur - like overturning Roe V. Wade or not allowing same-sex marriage. To some of these Republicans, these are issues for the hard-core religous and don’t mean too much to them.gilliam,
I have predicted this for monhts, the repubs are weak cowards.
The agreement says this:All depends on if they are Senators of their word, (read the agreement).