R
Randy_Carson
Guest
Duh…I just said I’m concentrating on the meditation and not on the Hail Mary.No concentration whatsoever?
Then what are you accomplishing? Matt6:7
Are you concentrating on what I’m saying?
Duh…I just said I’m concentrating on the meditation and not on the Hail Mary.No concentration whatsoever?
Then what are you accomplishing? Matt6:7
I do occasionallyFor example, do you pray the Lord’s Prayer at all?
Then why are you saying the hail mary in the first place if you are not concentrating on it?Duh…I just said I’m concentrating on the meditation and not on the Hail Mary.
Are you concentrating on what I’m saying?![]()
Gee, why?I do occasionally
Because the Hail Mary facilitates the focus on the meditation.Then why are you saying the hail mary in the first place if you are not concentrating on it?
That’s when it becomes rote.
It is a model prayer. We can change it up if we wantGee, why?
It’s just vain repetition…saying the same tired old words again and again.
Frankly, I can hardly believe Jesus even told us to pray them.
He should have just told the disciples to make up something new each day - like you did - when they asked him to teach them to pray.
Giving them the exact words without qualifying his statement certainly set a bad precedent, don’t you think?
I know when I am on my laptop and the phone at the same time, the person on the other end notices because I am not giving them 100% of my attention. Sometimes they even make a comment and get offended. Maybe your brain works different than mine. I know when I pray to God, He gets 100%. When I pray to Jesus, He gets100%. If 50/50 works for you, great.For me, I try to put nothing before my God.Because the Hail Mary facilitates the focus on the meditation.
Honestly, you can do both at once. Why did you skip over my TV and phone analogy? Because it made my point too obvious?![]()
And the same is true with the Rosary.It is a model prayer. We can change it up if we want
Ah, but in this case, both of my activities are prayer. I’m not typing on my computer (which is really talking with you) and praying (which is talking with God) at the same time. I’m saying one prayer while thinking of an event from the life of Christ.I know when I am on my laptop and the phone at the same time, the person on the other end notices because I am not giving them 100% of my attention. Sometimes they even make a comment and get offended. Maybe your brain works different than mine. I know when I pray to God, He gets 100%. When I pray to Jesus, He gets100%. If 50/50 works for you, great.For me, I try to put nothing before my God.
I know how I felt praying all those rosaries and not being able to keep my mind on what I was saying.The important thing is to pray, and I think God is pleased when we make the effort because he knows that there is a certain amount of dying to self that occurs when we turn off the TV, close our bedroom door, and spend time alone with Him.
Don’t you?
I don’t pray like that anymore.Do you often think of the Annunciation or the Presentation at the Temple, for example? These events (and others from the gospels) tend to be neglected by most non-Catholics who are either fixated on either Calvary or Pentecost depending upon their denominational orientation.
Then don’t. The Rosary is just one devotion among many.I know how I felt praying all those rosaries and not being able to keep my mind on what I was saying.
It was a form of Godliness.
I thought it somehow made me holy although I was living in my flesh.
I don’t pray like that any more.
If you want to say words to Mary while somehow thinking of Jesus go right ahead.Then don’t. The Rosary is just one devotion among many.
Find the one that works for you.
However, there is nothing unscriptural about the Rosary.
To the contrary, the Rosary with all of its prayers and meditations is VERY scriptural since even the Hail Mary itself is taken from the angel’s greeting, “Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.”
Hope this helps. :tiphat:
One deciding not to recite the Hail Mary “because its repetitive” is like deciding that if one has read the bible once, one cannot read it again, or recite a scripture passage – especially in prayer – because it would be vain repetition!
So am I. I take examples from the life of Christ and place myself in various locales: if I were Mary, or if I were at the Crucifixion, or how I can apply the Biblical scene to my life. Meditating on these scenes from the Bible – since they come from the Bible – are reading the Bible itself.I don’t pray like that anymore.
I’m not thinking of the annunciation or presentation
I’m on my knees begging the Father to forgive my weekness and give me strength.
So do I, especially when I pray the Glorious Mystery of the descent of the Holy Spirit. The meditations are directly from the Gospels.I pray the Holy Spirit fill me with boldness to share the Gospel!
I pray the Father sends those lost souls into my path so I can share the Gospel.
It’s called Meditating on the Mysteries…you envision them. You ask for guidance and comfort from the scenes from the Bible.If you want to say words to Mary while somehow thinking of Jesus go right ahead.
Yes. When we thank God for the Incarnation of His Son, we are thinking of the Joyful Mysteries.Could you do it the other way around? Say words to Jesus while thinking of the good things Mary did?
How do you know what Mary’s desire is?Being That Mary’s only desire is to lead us to Jesus the words of the Hail Mary in the Rosary is a lens through which to totally focus on the life of Christ. For instance when I pray the Sorrowful mysteries I picture Jesus sweating blood, and being scourged etc. and How amazing, loving, and immense that sacrifice is. the words don’t detract from that contemplation, they enhance it.
Yes. At the Wedding Feast in Cana, she instructed the stewards to “Do whatever He tells you.”How do you know what Mary’s desire is?
Did she say it somewhere in the bible
Ok I’ll do whatever Jesus told me.Yes. At the Wedding Feast in Cana, she instructed the stewards to “Do whatever He tells you.”