Devout Catholics: Do you feel its a sin to watch Craig Ferguson?

  • Thread starter Thread starter distracted
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
. Those who lampoon the faith,
Actually i have never heard him say anything against the Christian faith… and thinking of that just makes me like him more… but that doesn’t mean i will continue watching him… I don’t like feeling “dirty” afterwards…
The show is very worldly and does not lead you to a life of holiness.
I am fairly strong in my faith and don’t let this kind of thing weaken me… @ least not for long… but i can definitely see how it would cause many to stumble… which is why i recommend Christians writing to him to complain (and/or to CBS).
Would Mother Theresa have watched the show, or prayed for him?
Mother Theresa wouldn’t have done a lot of things we foolish Americans do… 😦
 
I hate to be one of those “good old days” guys, but late night television was at its best in the '80s and early '90s. You had Carson, followed by Letterman in his prime, and then a terrific interview show by Bob Costas.
I agree…
the questions almost always become sexual in nature. My biggest disappointment is with Letterman. I used to be a big fan.
My feelings exactly!!

David Letterman can still be really funny but i just cringe when he does sex jokes… I do that with anyone on TV who does that (or elsehwere) but when he does it, it is really bad because - one thing i always thought was so attractive about him was his… relative prudishness…
Actually, last night, i got a glimpse of that again… For some weird reason, he showed these two guys kissing!!! I about freaked! :eek: It was some “clip”, (from the news??)… can’t recall who the guys were… But then he made this comment, something like, “eke… a little of that certainly goes a long way…” 😃
(No kidding…!! :doh2: )
 
CF actually stopped himself from saying something “rude” last night… 🙂

Yes, i tuned in… (after a couple days “abstinence” from the show) When i didn’t see mcuh that was too “icky”… i decided to see if my prayers for him had done any good.

does it go without saying (?):

He is SO much funnier when he is not R-rated!!

so much more attractive also… 🤷
 
I feel like i am in an AA meeting… & have to confess having fallen off the wagon… cause i watched the Late Late Show last night… My excuse is insomnia… :hypno: :yawn:
(& the fact that he wasn’t so bad the last time i “fell”:rolleyes: )
He wasn’t too bad (as in virtually R rated)…

As i watch, I keep expecting him to be, though… :eek: 🤷

Anyway, even so… I wouldn’t recommend the show to anyone who is not a dyed in the wool Christian… because it doesn’t really edify you in the faith, to say the least…

Maybe i am addicted 2 this show because my life is so pathetic and i desperately need a good laugh (or two)…

hmmm… maybe there’s no maybe to it… 😃
 
Even Steve Martin is getting kind of raunchy… Did you see him on Letterman last night? Or was that an old show? 🤷

But anyway, why does everyone these days think they have to be rauchy to be funny? With me, it is just the opposite… the less rauncy, the more funny… and more likeable the host…
 
Even Steve Martin is getting kind of raunchy… Did you see him on Letterman last night? Or was that an old show? 🤷

But anyway, why does everyone these days think they have to be rauchy to be funny? With me, it is just the opposite… the less rauncy, the more funny… and more likeable the host…
Yeah, I saw Steve Martin last night. It was so adolescent. Here’s another guy who can be hilarious, but often chooses the basest subject matter possible. Please! Is that really all he could come up with?

On the insomnia note: I have suffered from it for most of my life. But I found out several years ago that the habit of keeping the TV on at night was exacerbating my problem. I still do it more than I ought, but I also have a toddler who keeps me up, which is not exactly the same as not being able to fall asleep. Nonetheless, when it’s possible, I try to spend those late night hours reading or praying, and that usually calms my mind down enough to go to sleep.

You might consider just scrapping the late night TV altogether and picking up some solid reading instead. What harm could it do? 1) You’d avoid all the **** on TV, 2) You might learn something valuable, or else 3) It’ll put you to sleep. :rotfl:
 
Yeah, I saw Steve Martin last night. It was so adolescent.
that is the word i was unconsciously looking for: adolescent. In fact, i think we may be insulting adolescents here… 😃
Is that really all he could come up with?
Exactly… That is another thing that bothers me… it is like comedians these days are too lazy (or something) to come up with… not only something the whole family can hear… but also to come up with something a little more “cerebral” and/or subtle…
(although they DO sometimes… but then they ruin it with the… well, i think it would be more accurate to call it **pre-adolescent **stuff. 😃
On the insomnia note:… I try to spend those late night hours reading or praying

I would love nothing better than to have a good book to read… I hve to rely on the library & haven’t been able to get there lately… Even so, i suppose i could re-read the books i have @ my place… I have some very good Catholic books. Thanks for the suggestion… although i doubt i will give CF & Letterman up entirely… as stated, my life is pretty… well, i don’t want 2 use the wrong word because my life is probably just the way it should be (meaning i am learning waht i need to learn, etc…) but anyway, i have some heavy crosses 2 bear & need a good laugh … i am addicted to those 2… but you know, CF really isn’t as bad as… well, as he was there for awhile… If he ever goes back to that, well, that will be different…
God bless…
 
:coffeeread: News Bulletin:

Last night, David Letterman was more objectionable than Craig Ferguson!! I never would have thought it possible… :hmmm: :hypno:

So maybe i should cut out Letterman and watch Craig?

I am too addicted to cut them both out… :banghead: :rolleyes:

Did you watch one or both of them (Tuesday night)?

Do you agree?
 
I skipped them both last night and watched a good ol’ black-and-white movie from the library. All of the entertainment, none of the guilt! 👍
 
I skipped them both last night and watched a good ol’ black-and-white movie from the library. All of the entertainment, none of the guilt! 👍
You are fortunate to have access to such a thing. I guess i do also, but it requires driving a “long” distance… However, it may be worth it…

Anyway, while i am here… did you (anyone here) see CF’s thing on the halucinogenic toad?? 😃 That was hilarious! and not one objectionable statement…

Yes, i really do believe it will be Letterman i give up before CF… Maybe he (Craig) came here & read these posts??? 🙂 His show is just not as bad as it used to be… or as bad as Letterman (my opinion).
 
Please pray for me because it is a serious thing to be addicted to something like the Late show & Late late Show… Neither is good for me - they make jokes about sex… (etc…). and now i am beginning to see that they affect me at least a little (??), at a level i am not always are of…

I can’t really put into words how i am affected… but maybe i don’t need to…
 
God is helping me to stop watching… CF had an off-color comedian on his show last night… D. Letterman showed a very violent image… I am getting almost literally sick of these shows… and they were virtually the only things i watched on TV…

Now late at night, if i can’t sleep, i put in the tape of the Pope’s visit to US…

I am overcoming this addiction. Maybe someone was praying for me… 🙂
 
Craig Ferguson of the Late Late Show (CBS) promotes homosexuality and other forms of perverted sex (masturbation… and worse).:eek:

Even David Letterman is getting rauchy… just not AS rauchy as CF…

I hate TV and regret that i broke my abstention from it. I declined to watch TV for about 8 yrs or so… shoulda kept on going… :mad:

I am going to look up CBS address and i think we should write and complain… I feel it is important… Do you???
 
Perhaps for you, watching those shows is an occasion of sin.

For some, it’s just an opportunity to enjoy humor. Sometimes raunchy. As far as I know, listening to someone tell jokes about sex is not a sin. Neither is telling them.

When the Magisterium tells me that it is, then I will worry. Until then, I will laugh when it is funny, and I may even pass along the better jokes!

You should be careful about declaring things sins when the Church has not said so…
 
“When the Magisterium tells me that it is, then I will worry.”

The definition of sinful behaviour is not limited to the specific declarations of the Magisterium. A well formed conscience is able to apply the principles taught by the Magisterium and make moral judgments about everyday experiences.

“Perhaps for you, watching those shows is an occasion of sin. For some, it’s just an opportunity to enjoy humor.”

Morality is objective, so an action cannot be a sin for one person and not for another. The variable you seem to point to is the capacity for the individual to recognize in their conscience that what they are doing is sinful, but that awareness does not change the nature of the act itself.
 
Show me a Church document declaring that sexual humor is sinful, and I will retract my comments.
 
Perhaps for you, watching those shows is an occasion of sin.
Human beings are all built basically the same, in that viewing any given something, people will respond in very similar ways. For instance, if people watch porn, even the ones who are against porn will probably get aroused or at least “interested”…

Those who have experienced the holiness of God will feel filthy afterwards… because they are filthy in the sense that their minds have been polluted… they are impure. We must become pure (like little children ) to enter the Kingdom of Heaven… maybe Heaven is not really your goal but for those of us who are aiming at Heaven, well, we don’t need shows like this…
for some it’s just an opportunity to enjoy humor. Sometimes raunchy. As far as I know, listening to someone tell jokes about sex is not a sin.
If you know something is going to pollute a river and you dump it in there anyway, well, you get my drift…
When the Magisterium tells me that it is, then I will worry. Until then, I will laugh when it is funny, and I may even pass along the better jokes!
Cool… I just won’t ask you to babysit my children…
You should be careful about declaring things sins when the Church has not said so…
I can declare whatever i want a sin. It is a free country…
 
If you are going to say something IS a sin, then you should be able to back it up. Otherwise, you could be misleading people with uneducated opinion. You don’t know the horrors you could cause to a person suffering scrupulosity with a statement like that… but also, you could be causing people to fear for their souls when there is no reason.

Grownups can laugh at things without being polluted by them. Let’s face it… sex is an odd activity. It is ripe for humor.
 
Personally I dont feel it is a sin to watch either Craig Ferguson or David Letterman… I am a person who suffers from severe depression and anxiety and if anything in this world can get me to laugh I am going to watch the show. There are many days that I cant even get out of bed and I watch Craig Ferguson and I am busting out laughing so hard at some of the things he comes up with that my eyes are almost watering. Again…If his and David Lettermans show offends you, Dont watch it but dont try to make it sound like everyone should stop watching it. Let your conscience be your guide and also know that if others want to watch these two shows, Just know that it is between them and God. No one else.
I dont like Jimmy Kimmel though for a remark that was made and was so bad at a Celebrity Roast kind of thing. He made the remark that even Chris Beniot was a better dad than this guy who was being Toasted… I dont like any negative remarks on Chris Beniot. Everyone needs to know that God is the only judge of everything. AND we all are sinners. No one is better than the next.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top