Did Jesus "Know" God?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aperture
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aperture

Guest
Was he sure that God existed? Did he commune with him in a way that we cannot? It seems to me that he did, based on events like the Agony in the Garden, for one. True?
 
Doesn’t this make what he did easier, then? It sounds awful, but I imagine that most people, if they knew there was a God and Heaven, would go through the crucifixion. That knowledge is a really big deal.
 
I think the church teaches that Jesus’ soul saw the immediate vision of God.
 
Doesn’t this make what he did easier, then? It sounds awful, but I imagine that most people, if they knew there was a God and Heaven, would go through the crucifixion. That knowledge is a really big deal.
Satan and his angels knew there was a God and Heaven and they still rebelled. Adam and Even knew there was a God and they still rebelled.
 
The question was really a jumping-off point for my second question, though.
 
Second question:
Doesn’t this make what he did easier, then? It sounds awful, but I imagine that most people, if they knew there was a God and Heaven, would go through the crucifixion. That knowledge is a really big deal.
I still cringe a bit reading it, but the question still stands. I think it would be very hard for any decent person (and I think most people are decent) to refuse God if they knew He existed and knew what he wanted them to do, as Jesus did.
 
Second question:

I still cringe a bit reading it, but the question still stands. I think it would be very hard for any decent person (and I think most people are decent) to refuse God if they knew He existed and knew what he wanted them to do, as Jesus did.
As I wrote above:

Satan and his angels knew there was a God and Heaven and they still rebelled. Adam and Even knew there was a God and they still rebelled.
 
As I wrote above:

Satan and his angels knew there was a God and Heaven and they still rebelled. Adam and Even knew there was a God and they still rebelled.
I’m not saying it’s assured. I’m saying it would seem to be easier than many seem to imply.
 
Was he sure that God existed? Did he commune with him in a way that we cannot? It seems to me that he did, based on events like the Agony in the Garden, for one. True?
Jesus is God so I’m pretty sure he know he existed. 👍
 
Was he sure that God existed? Did he commune with him in a way that we cannot? It seems to me that he did, based on events like the Agony in the Garden, for one. True?
There leaves absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that Yes; Jesus (“Knew God”).

Even to a degree incomprehensible to human intellect at the very Birth of Jesus Christ; Jesus was self aware of His Heavenly Father Whom was always with His Only Beloved Begotten Son

This reading says it all for me:
**Phillipians Chap 2 :verses 5-11
5 For let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
6 Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery, to be himself equal to God:
7 But debased himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men, and in shape found as a man.
8 *He humbled himself, becoming obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
9 Wherefore God also hath exalted him, and hath given him a name which is above every name:
10 *That in the name of Jesus, every knee should bow of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is in the glory of God the Father.
**
And here:
**Haydock’s 1859 Catholic Biblical Commentary Phillipians Chap 2
Ver. 6. Who being in the form[1] of God, (that is truly, properly, and essentially God from eternity, as the ancient Fathers here observed against the Arians) taking the form of a servant, (i.e. taking upon him our human nature) became truly a man, and as man the servant of God, but remaining always God as before, thought it not robbery, no injury to his eternal Father, to be equal, to be esteemed, and to declare himself equal to God, to be one thing with him: as on divers occasions he taught the people, as we have observed in the notes on St. John’s gospel, &c. (Witham)
Ver. 7. But debased himself: divested himself of all the marks of greatness, for the love of mankind. The Greek text signifies, he made himself void;[2] on which account Dr. Wells, instead of made himself of no reputation, as in the Protestant translation, has changed it into emptied himself; not but that the true Son of God must always remain truly God, as well as by his incarnation truly man, but that in him as man appeared no marks of his divine power and greatness. — Made to the likeness[3] of men, not only as to an exterior likeness and appearance, but at the same time truly man by uniting his divine person to the nature of man. — In shape[4] (or habit) found as a man: not clothed exteriorly only, as a man is clothed with a garment or coat, but found both as to shape and nature a man; and, as St. Chrysostom says, with the appearance of a sinful man, if we consider him persecuted by the Jews, and nailed to an infamous cross. (Witham)
Ver. 9. God…hath given him a name, &c. The name or word Jesus represents the dignity of him who is signified by the name, and who is exalted even as man, above all creatures in heaven, earth, and hell; all which creatures either piously reverence him, or are made subject to him against their will, that every tongue may confess our Lord Jesus to be now, and to have been always, in the glory of his Father, equal to him in substance and in all perfections. (Witham)**
 
OK, but my main question is:
Doesn’t this make what he did easier, then? It sounds awful, but I imagine that most people, if they knew there was a God and Heaven, would go through the crucifixion. That knowledge is a really big deal.
 
OK, but my main question is:
He was fully God AND fully human. Therefore though he knows God, he still experienced normal human emotions, such as fear. Also, remember that God loves us and wants us to be with him. He is “sad” when we reject him. Jesus, being God, must have been upset so many were rejecting him, hating hi, though he loved them so much.

God Bless, hope this helps
 
He said: “That all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.” John 17:21.
Since Jesus Was and Is and will forever be God it isn’t hard to understand. Jesus who took on our human nature, did everything we did: Even Praying to God!
 
I’m not saying it’s assured. I’m saying it would seem to be easier than many seem to imply.
Scripture tells us that God has written his law in our hearts. Part of that law is knowledge of the One God. Therefore we all know there is one God. Yet many still rebel (even, most sadly of all, those who are part of the Church).

As the cases of Satan and our first parents show, deep intimate knowledge of God does not release us from our weaknesses.
 
Doesn’t this make what he did easier, then? It sounds awful, but I imagine that most people, if they knew there was a God and Heaven, would go through the crucifixion. (emphasis mine) That knowledge is a really big deal.
It just might. I recently read a story about 14-16 French nuns who kept singing as they were taken one by one up to the guillotine. Also one about another martyred Saint who was kissing his chains and giving thanks for his “opportunity”. There are many such stories.

I don’t think I could be that tough! :o
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top