Did Mary Die?

  • Thread starter Thread starter myfavoritmartin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

myfavoritmartin

Guest
In Catholic circles what is the consenses?
The Church does not offer an answer, as far as I know.
 
In Catholic circles what is the consenses?
The Church does not offer an answer, as far as I know.
There seems to be a general opinion among Early Church Fathers and theologians in general that Mary died before her assumption, in conformity with her Son.
 
I’m fairly certain you are correct on this and I have no earthly idea. There are scores of people much more intelligent and eductated in these matters trying to figure it out…I wouldn’t even attempt to give an answer. It’s better to keep my mouth shut and appear to be an idiot, than to open it and remove all doubt.
 
The Catholic doctrine does not teach that Mary never died; however, the Church never said that she did.

I am feeling this thread is leading to “Does the Virgin Mary never sin?” 🙂
 
many ECF and church historians belive that she did die, but this is not official church teaching
 
I think our Eastern Rite brothers and sisters have some info on that.

(Hey Mickey where are ya?)

My belief is that she did not, and this is not at all inconsistent with what God has done with other very holy people like Enoch, Moses, and Elijah.

My thinking is that behind Our Lord Himself the Blessed Virgin is the most unique person in all of human history and very holy. Hence it is not unlikely that Our Lord did this for His mother.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
 
It goes both ways but I think the stronger argument is that the Blessed Mother did in fact taste death like Her Son, since He would not want her to forgo any glory.
 
I might add, it seems most protestants having not studied this issue in detail automatically assume the Catholic stand is that she was assumed while living. Probably because of the Elijah Enoch connection that is commonly drawn.
Doesn’t it kinda eliminate this comparison if we assume she was assumed deceased?
 
I might add, it seems most protestants having not studied this issue in detail automatically assume the Catholic stand is that she was assumed while living. Probably because of the Elijah Enoch connection that is commonly drawn.
Doesn’t it kinda eliminate this comparison if we assume she was assumed deceased?
I would not assume that is the Catholic stance since from what I have read, most argue that she, being a perfect imitator of her Son, died like Him also.
 
I remember somebody was trying to argue that Mary died and therefore she was with sin. So, if Jesus died, he was sinful too?
 
I remember somebody was trying to argue that Mary died and therefore she was with sin. So, if Jesus died, he was sinful too?
I feel bad for that person and his understanding of who Jesus Christ is since He died also.
 
The Roman Catholic Church emphasizes that the Virgin Mary was assumed, body and soul, into heavenly glory. They do not focus on a bodily death. The Eastern Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox celebrate the Dormition of the Theotokos. Dormition means “a falling asleep” or “repose”. The following is from an Orthodox website which explains the Eastern understanding based on Tradition. I apologize for the lack of website reference:

At the time of her death, the disciples of our Lord who were preaching throughout the world returned to Jerusalem to see the Theotokos. Except for the Apostle Thomas, all of them including the Apostle Paul were gathered together at her bedside. At the moment of her death, Jesus Christ himself descended and carried her soul into heaven.
Following her repose, the body of the Theotokos was taken in procession and laid in a tomb near the Garden of Gethsemane. When the Apostle Thomas arrived three days after her repose and desired to see her body, the tomb was found to be empty. The bodily assumption of the Theotokos was confirmed by the message of an angel and by her appearance to the Apostles.
 
The Roman Catholic Church emphasizes that the Virgin Mary was assumed, body and soul, into heavenly glory. They do not focus on a bodily death. The Eastern Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox celebrate the Dormition of the Theotokos. Dormition means “a falling asleep” or “repose”. The following is from an Orthodox website which explains the Eastern understanding based on Tradition. I apologize for the lack of website reference:

At the time of her death, the disciples of our Lord who were preaching throughout the world returned to Jerusalem to see the Theotokos. Except for the Apostle Thomas, all of them including the Apostle Paul were gathered together at her bedside. At the moment of her death, Jesus Christ himself descended and carried her soul into heaven.
Following her repose, the body of the Theotokos was taken in procession and laid in a tomb near the Garden of Gethsemane. When the Apostle Thomas arrived three days after her repose and desired to see her body, the tomb was found to be empty. The bodily assumption of the Theotokos was confirmed by the message of an angel and by her appearance to the Apostles.
Beautiful
 
Catholics can believe that Mary died or that Mary did not die. What Catholics must believe is that Mary was assummed Body and Soul into Heaven.

The position I hold at this point in time, is that Mary did not die in the physical sense. Mary *“died” *at the foot of the cross where she watched her Son die . For me, the sorrow experienced by Mary here is greater that any other death past present and future. In other words, she had perfect sorrow.
 
Catholics can believe that Mary died or that Mary did not die. What Catholics must believe is that Mary was assummed Body and Soul into Heaven.

The position I hold at this point in time, is that Mary did not die in the physical sense. Mary *“died” *at the foot of the cross where she watched her Son die . For me, the sorrow experienced by Mary here is greater that any other death past present and future. In other words, she had perfect sorrow.
Amen to that, she experienced more suffering than all the saints and martys combined.

We rightfully call her the

QUEEN OF MARTYRS
 
Amen to that, she experienced more suffering than all the saints and martys combined.

We rightfully call her the

QUEEN OF MARTYRS
When a child is suffering, his/her mother is also suffering. This is the same thing with the Virgin Mary. However, she knew so well what the suffering is all about, and she participates this suffering next to Jesus - on His way to the cross, on the cross, to the tomb, and now in Heaven.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top