Did Peter create the Catholic Church?

• Thread starter Thread starter anendlesswaltz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anendlesswaltz

This goes along with my post asking for church history. But its more to the point…when Jesus spoke to Peter and called him the rock upon which his church would be built, did Peter found the catholic church? Or did those who followed him? I assume he had followers. I don’t remember even studying 1st and 2nd peter when i attended youth group and sunday bible study growing up. We always just talked about Paul. So i always assumed Paul had this huge role that Peter didn’t and never really understood the point of that part? Of what happened next? Did the apostles and the ones they taught create the catholic church? So by extension, does that mean that Catholicism is Jesus’ original, intended church? Cause i’ve thought for a long while - before i ever looked into Catholicism - how sad it is that He intended us to be one body of believers, but here we are with half a dozen or so different denominations. Some of which’s members believe theirs is right and none of the others - i remember our pastor at that church explicitly saying as much actually. He’d name different denominations and state why they were wrong.

Jesus established the Church, building it on Peter (upon this rock…) Peter was the first Pope in a long line of succession. Catholic means universal - so the Catholic Church is the one universal church established by Jesus, with Peter as the first earthly overseer - if you will. This is a very simple explanation.

Yes, I hope Dlee will forgive me for elaborating the point that, since by definition there is only one universal church, non Catholics don’t belong to it.

Last edited:
when Jesus spoke to Peter and called him the rock upon which his church would be built, did Peter found the catholic church?
No, Jesus Christ founded the Catholic Church. It’s Jesus’ one true original Church. Jesus said, “Upon this rock I will build MY church” (Matt. 16:18) Jesus’ church, not Peter’s church. Jesus simply designated Peter as the one who would head Jesus’ church after Jesus ascended into heaven.

Mankind has tried and failed to destroy the Catholic Church since it was founded. All man-made organizations have come and gone, destroyed for various reasons and by various means. The Catholic Church is the oldest organization on plant earth. She has been attacked both from within and from without, yet still stands. In my mind, this is nearly irrefutable evidence that the Church is of Divine institution (see below).

As to Saint Peter, he was not the founder. He was the first CEO, if you will. And, since organizations either vanish without a leader, or slowly become moribund with a committee in charge, it is clear that much hinges on the Holy Father - on his wisdom, his judgment and guidance. However, he inhabits an office and so is replaced by a successor once he passes.

The Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, of blessed memory, had this to say about the signs of the one true Church:
"If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hated. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church that is accused of being behind the times, as our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid the confusions of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly it is other worldly. since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is Divine."

Jesus founded the Church on his apostles with Peter as first among them. While Peter was first among them, I don’t believe it accurate to say Peter himself founded the Church. The other apostles weren’t his employees. They all worked together to establish particular churches and spread the good news.

Mankind has tried and failed to destroy the Catholic Church since it was founded. All man-made organizations have come and gone, destroyed for various reasons and by various means. The Catholic Church is the oldest organization on plant earth. She has been attacked both from within and from without, yet still stands. In my mind, this is nearly irrefutable evidence that the Church is of Divine institution (see below).

As to Saint Peter, he was not the founder. He was the first CEO, if you will. And, since organizations either vanish without a leader, or slowly become moribund with a committee in charge, it is clear that much hinges on the Holy Father - on his wisdom, his judgment and guidance. However, he inhabits an office and so is replaced by a successor once he passes.

The Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, of blessed memory, had this to say about the signs of the one true Church:
"If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hated. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church that is accused of being behind the times, as our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they had done a service to God. Look for the Church which the world rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because He called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which is rejected by the world as Our Lord was rejected by men. Look for the Church which amid the confusions of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its Voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly it is other worldly. since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. But only that which is Divine can be infinitely hated and infinitely loved. Therefore the Church is Divine."
It is with great interest that I read what he wrote here for in my mind it does not indicate the Catholic Church at all…but rather others like evangelical groups like Anabaptists, Baptists, Pentecostals etc. that even Catholics ridicule. Not to mention the cults like Jehovahs Witness, SDA and Mormons.

since by definition there is only one universal church, non Catholics don’t belong to it.
Except in Catholic teaching, it’s not so black-and-white but more nuanced. If you are Christian, you have a relationship with the Catholic Church whether you know it or not. So a baptized Baptist, for example, is maybe somewhere around 2-20% Catholic, in a manner of speaking. 😁 We don’t simply say non-Catholics aren’t Christian or don’t count or have no hope of salvation.

40.png
Maximian:
since by definition there is only one universal church, non Catholics don’t belong to it.
Except in Catholic teaching, it’s not so black-and-white but more nuanced. If you are Christian, you have a relationship with the Catholic Church whether you know it or not. So a baptized Baptist, for example, is maybe somewhere around 2-20% Catholic, in a manner of speaking. 😁 We don’t simply say non-Catholics aren’t Christian or don’t count or have no hope of salvation.
Thank you for standing up for honesty. @anendlesswaltz, you will find that not all Catholics on CAF will actually give you the facts about their own church but rather their own understanding which often is not accurate.

In Catholic teaching, Mary is the Mother of the Church. The imagery is not of building a Church, though that is a good analogy, but of a more personal bond. The Church is not the building, but the gathering of the sons and daughters of the Father. We are brothers and sisters of Jesus by our baptism, even though some of our siblings are separated from us.

Ss Peter and Paul are members of that family, and you can work with them to raise the Church as you would help an older brother or sister. It is not an exterior task, but something close to you like your family.

Jesus founded the Catholic Church, and designated Peter as the First Pope of Catholic Church. Jesus also told Peter, “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven ; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven , and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven .” it also means all the Popes inherited.

Last edited:
There have always been splits & numerous different groups throughout the past 2,000 years. So, we aren’t experiencing anything new. The whole issue about Peter is whether or not he was who our Lord was referring to when He said, “upon this rock I will build my church.” Catholics believe this, while Protestants & other non-Catholic groups don’t. Some believe Jesus was either referring to Himself, or the words that Peter spoke that was revealed to him by God, that Jesus was the Christ the Son of the living God…and that is what the church is built on. Paul stated that Peter, as well as the rest of the apostles & the NT prophets, were the foundation of the church, which would be built on top of it, and Jesus was the cornerstone.

Peter & Paul are mentioned by name just as frequently in the NT. In Acts, Peter sort of disappears after Ch.15, which is where Paul becomes more dominant. Basically, if you talk with Catholic, they will answer, “Yes” to Peter being the leader of the early church, who Jesus gave the keys to “bind & loose.” Non-Catholics would say, no, because He also gave this “binding & loosing” to the rest of the church, and - by extension - were also given the keys, since binding & loosing was the reason the keys were given, which is their function.

Paul writes to the Corinthian Church why there was dissention even in their church - because they were identifying with the apostles (such as Peter) & other church leaders (like Apollos), as opposed to Christ Himself. Sadly, the same thing is happening today.

Jesus created the Catholic Church, but he made Peter the first pope.

It is with great interest that I read what he wrote here for in my mind it does not indicate the Catholic Church at all…but rather others like evangelical groups like Anabaptists, Baptists, Pentecostals etc. that even Catholics ridicule. Not to mention the cults like Jehovahs Witness, SDA and Mormons.
However none of them are the Church founded by Jesus.

Jesus created the Catholic Church, St Peter formed the Roman Church in particular. The Roman Church is the Mother Church in Our Lords Church because of this

as for me if the eucharist is not being served as the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ i will not be there . as far as i know the Catholic Church is the only one doing this .

Paul kept on insisting that the Church is to be of “one body” even though there are numerous local churches, and Jesus made it clear that this was to be the case as well when he appointed the Twelve. IOW, the Church wasn’t to be a “just do your own thing” entity made up of numerous independent denominations.

As we get into Acts and the epistles, it again becomes quite clear that we are to be of “one body” when the Twelve begin to appoint disciples to create and lead local congregations, a process we now call “apostolic succession”. And it was this Church that selected the canon of the Bible in the 4th century that is used by most Christians worldwide today.

BTW, I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church with intentions of going into the ministry but ended up converting into the Catholic Church after studying the early history of Christianity when I was 30.

catholic church is just the renamed pagan worship of idols from before Jesus.
it is definitely not GOD or Jesus’s chosen church
If you’re going to make such a claim, please back it up. But I’ve been to hundreds of Catholic churches in my life and they all have crucifixes (which have Jesus on them, no one else) pictures and statues of Jesus or those who loved and followed Jesus heroically, and we spend the Mass reading from the Bible and talking about Jesus.

Never once have I heard that I’m supposed to be worshiping any pagan or any idol or anything from or of anyone before or after or anyone other than, Jesus.

This goes along with my post asking for church history. But its more to the point…when Jesus spoke to Peter and called him the rock upon which his church would be built, did Peter found the catholic church?
JESUS SAID TO PETER/ROCK: “Upon the Rock I shall Build My Church

Jesus is the Head of The Church

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back