Can you please explain in detail how it is a sin of omission? My understanding is that the sin of omission is defined by not doing something that can and ought be done. Where does the Church says that she ought to confess to her husband? I would also like to know how is she living a lie? As far as I understand she is not sinning at this time.
Main Entry: omis·sion
Pronunciation: \ō-ˈmi-shən, ə-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English omissioun, from Anglo-French omission, from Late Latin omission-, omissio, from Latin omittere
Date: 14th century
1 a : something neglected or left undone b : apathy toward or neglect of duty
So by this definition, apathy toward or neglect of duty
Lets look at Ephesians 5: 21 which says “be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ.” Now I ask you is dishonesty with Christ acceptable.
Now lets look at the definition of Lie
Main Entry: 3lie
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): lied; ly·ing \ˈlī-iŋ
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English lēogan; akin to Old High German liogan to lie, Old Church Slavic lŭgati
Date: before 12th century
intransitive verb 1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive
2 : to create a false or misleading impression
Let’s see create a false or misleading impression? can that be done here in this situation? If I don’t tell my spouse what I did it won’t hurt them…right.
We can and ought to be truthful with our spouses, Even if it puts us at risk of losing them…If not then we’re not being honest with ourselves or God.
Now how and when to give such news to a spouse is something else…and I agree that the guidance of your Priest or a qualified counselor is needed.