Thank you for finding your post for me, Christian. I suppose my question is this: Why make it unclear at all? Why not say this instead?"Today I tell you the truth–you will be with me in Paradise."or"I tell you the truth–I will be with you in Paradise in a few days."I mean, assuming you are not a Jehovah’s Witness, but instead a Seventh Day Adventist or other Protestant, I’m sure you then agree that He was God, and being God, He was omniscient. Being omniscient, He would have known that by not placing the word today at the beginning of the sentence, many would be deceived by a misplaced comma! Why would He choose grammar He knew would confuse?
(BTW, I would not be offended if you were a Seventh Day Adventist or even a Jehovah’s Witness. I’ve had thoughtful conversations with both in my home.)
Actually, this is what amazes me about God.*Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
**How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!
*~Romans 11:33
How wonderful are the ways and plans of the Lord Almighty, aren’t they? Are you familiar with the feeling you get when you discover something new about God or His plans? Isn’t that a wonderful feeling? What would it be like if God would just tell us everything crystal clear? If He would have told it to us that way, then where is the excitement? I, for one, love the feeling of discovering something know about His Truth. This is the reason I begin to hate most seminars … it is because I mostly want to discover them by myself, but when they tell it to me, the ‘magic’ disappears. It is true that if the preacher is good (referring to the way he talks) then you still have part of that ‘excitement’, but I still want to wonder at the Lord’s plans when He reveals them to me directly. I’m not saying preachers are bad, or that we should study all alone by ourselves, but it’s just that the feeling when you discover something by yourself (with the help of the Spirit, of course) is so great! If you are familiar with that feeling, you know what I’m talking about.
Also, if we love God, we would naturally try to find more about Himself. And Him hiding His truth momentarily from us is a big act of love, because He gives us the change to get that ‘feeling’. Also, just as Solomon said:
It is the glory of God to hide a thing … (Proverbs 25:2) and if I may complete it:
‘… and then reveal it to us’.
Also, by hiding parts of His truth God separates true believers from false Christians, because the true Christians will seek to find more about God and all His truth, that is: eve the hidden one. Because it is natural for a women to be interested by her husband, and to try to find more about him, or isn’t it natural? Also, it is a wonderful experience to know your husband step by step, rather than him giving you a letter with all the details about him. That would just take away all the fun.
So Jesus didn’t clarify it because He wants us to investigate and search His Truth. Of course, God did make the truth clear in very relevant matters (like such regarding salvation) but there are other ‘smaller’ truths that He hid and gave us the opportunity to discover it.
Remember that Paul is amazed by the wisdom of God, because '…
God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all’ (Romans 11:32)*.*That way the whole world can fell the goodness of God. In the same way, God hid or made unclear certain truths so we can have the chance at opportunity to discover them filled with joy.
But you can also see this case as a ‘test’, to see whether we would investigate His Truth, or not; whether we would be interested or not.
And I’m a Seventh Day Adventist, or at least I think so. Because since I believe what they believe, that would make me one, right?