Difference in Denominations

• Thread starter Thread starter LovelyLadybug
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LovelyLadybug

During the Protestant Reformation, Christianity (sadly) split up into many denominations. How are they different? How does Methodism differ from Lutheranism or Prysteberianism? Is Calvinism better than Anglicanism? North Baptism from Southern Baptist? I have NO intention of being protestant. I’m just curious about this. Any thoughts on this? Thank You!!! 🙂

Last edited:
I’m not sure what you mean by “is Calvinism better than Anglicanism”. Obviously to a Calvinist it is, to an Anglican it’s not.

For a Catholic, two different Protestant churches are just two flavors of “not Catholic”, neither one is better. Catholic is better.

Apart from that, your question is way too overbroad. There are dozens of Protestant denominations and probably hundreds of subdenominations under those main denominations.

If you really want to know more about this you should read a book or watch some videos or read some Wiki pages on the Protestant reformation, not ask such a huge broad question.

For a Catholic, two different Protestant churches are just two flavors of “not Catholic”, neither one is better. Catholic is better.
That makes sense, thanks, and is so true!!! Catholocism is definitely better. I was just wondering if any protestant denominations were better than others, but I guess they aren’t. 🙂

Last edited:
How does Methodism differ from Lutheranism or Prysteberianism?
Methodism is younger than both Lutheranism and Presbyterianism for one. Lutheranism and Presbyterianism are direct heirs of the Protestant Reformation. Lutheranism evolved from the teaching of Martin Luther. It retains a lot of the outward look of Catholicism, but it rejected the Catholic penitential system: the mass, confession, absolution, penance, indulgences, pilgrimage, prayer to the saints, prayer for the dead, and purgatory. At the same time, he framed Protestant teaching around 3 main themes: sola fide, sola gratia, sola scriptura (faith alone, grace alone, scripture alone). Other Protestants would take up these themes, but they would not always agree on how exactly they should be interpreted or lived out.

While Luther was still alive, disagreements appeared on a host of issues: What exactly happens during the Eucharist? When should baptism be performed? How should churches be governed, by bishops or by collegial assemblies of elders or by local congregations themselves? And on and on.

A major group of Reformers began to drift away from Luther’s more conservative form of Protestantism. These became the Reformed or Presbyterian churches. They adopted Calvinist theology. Calvinism emphasizes the sovereignty of God; indeed, it teaches predestination, unconditional election and irresistible grace–that God decides who will be saved and whoever he chooses to save WILL come to saving faith. No free will, ultimately.

Calvinism explodes across the Protestant world in the 1500s. And that brings us to the Anglicans.
Is Calvinism better than Anglicanism?
That isn’t the way it works.You can be an Anglican and a Calvinist at the same time. Anglicanism is a church tradition that is fairly broad. Calvinism is a theology. For a long time, the dominant theology within the Church of England was Calvinism. But there is also Arminianism and Anglo-Catholicism and liberal (affirming) Catholicism and so on within the Anglican Churches.

While the Church of England was itself fairly Calvinist in theology, it preserved several features from medieval Catholicism that angered many Protestants (called Puritans): cathedrals (and their choirs), a formal Prayer Book liturgy, traditional clerical vestments, and a hierarchy of bishops and archbishops. Many Calvinists split off from the Church of England.

Some of these Separatists came to believe in adult baptism and that each congregation should have full control over its own affairs. These are the Baptists. The Baptists immigrated to America like everyone and eventually wanted to start organizing missionary works. Baptist congregations across the United States organized a national Convention to oversee missionary work and other common projects. This national Convention split into a Northern Baptist Convention and a Southern Baptist Convention over the issue of slavery–should slave owners be allowed to be missionaries? That was the divide between Northern and Southern Baptists.

See second post about the Methodists.

Last edited:
Catholicism is a glass of pure orange juice.

The first protestant church poured out some of the juice and diluted it with water and the next and the next until some are practically water with a drip of orange in it so it looks orange but doesn’t taste of anything but they all call it pure orange juice and call ours wrong.

How does Methodism differ . . .
Word limitations on the previous posts . . .

Anyway I was talking about split offs from the Church of England. Methodism is one of those, but Methodism is not a thing until the 1730s. It began as a revival movement within the Church of England. John Wesley, his brother Charles and their friend George Whitefield were the first leading Methodists. John and George were both Anglican priests. However, they were disappointed by the spiritual deadness, the carnality and worldliness they saw prevalent within the Church of England at the time. They began to preach outdoors (which was considered scandalous) and emphasized the necessity of conversion–not just intellectual assent to church teaching.

The Methodists became well known as well for emphasizing holiness of life, what John Wesley called “Christian perfection”. There is a slogan used by the British Methodists: “All need to be saved; all can be saved; all can know they are saved; all can be saved to the uttermost.” That summarizes Methodist teaching–the need for conversion, the possibility of having assurance that you have been converted and saved, and the possibility of going on to perfection or being truly holy through God’s grace.

Last edited:
That makes sense, thanks, and is so true!!! Catholocism is definitely better. I was just wondering if any protestant denominations were better than others, but I guess they aren’t. 🙂
It’s not how they’re better - it’s how they differ from Catholicism in their beliefs.

There are a lot of similarities, but the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is unique to Catholicism.

Last edited:
There are a lot of similarities, but the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is unique to Catholicism.
A bit off topic, but the Eastern Orthodox, the Oriental Orthodox, and the Church of the East all have a valid Eucharist.

There are approximately 32,000 sects of Protestantism. I’m sure they all think they’re right and everyone else is wrong.

Some vary from Catholicism greatly. Others are very close doctrinally. Some of them absolutely hate Catholicism (seventh day adventists, for example, have a history of antagonism to Catholicism).

I’m non-denominational.
Which I would consider an Evangelical Christian. I wonder if you consider that a fair characterization.

I think the mega churches could fall within the evangelical category as well. People are brought to God via worship rock music and are given a sermon that is biblical by Protestant standards.

There are the reform protestants and than the non-denominational Protestants.

Last edited:
It’s a lie some love to perpetuate…don’t be gullible enough to believe everything you read on CAF.

I think that number is inaccurate. Probably more like 5,000 when you really sit down and examine core beliefs of these groups. Still way too many, but the 30k denomination # is based off a false formula to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back