Difference in Denominations

• Thread starter Thread starter LovelyLadybug
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is not Methodism itself divided into conservative and liberal camps?

It’s not so much a lie, as endlessly chained, unsourced copying, from a source that wasn’t really talking about what the folk who use the numbers (which change), think was being talked about.

Often gets discussed in places like this.

It is a false formula only in the sense it is being used falsely (incorrectly, that is) by those who cite it in this manner.

For the folks who originated the formula and the sources it is found in, the formula is just fine.

Last edited:
It’s not so much a lie, as endlessly chained, unsourced copying, from a source that wasn’t really talking about what the folk who use the numbers (which change), think was being talked about.

Often gets discussed in places like this.
Ok, yes, it is a misrepresentation of factual information used by both the ignorant and the learned to bolster triumphalism and promote faction within Christianity.

Last edited:
Is not Methodism itself divided into conservative and liberal camps?
Is there any religion that is not divided into conservative and liberal camps? Even within the two “camps” themselves, ie conservative liberals etc.

Yes, it is. But up until now they’ve largely been able to persist within one single institution in the case of United Methodists in the US.

During the Protestant Reformation, Christianity (sadly) split up into many denominations. How are they different? How does Methodism differ from Lutheranism or Prysteberianism? Is Calvinism better than Anglicanism? North Baptism from Southern Baptist? I have NO intention of being protestant. I’m just curious about this. Any thoughts on this? Thank You!!! 🙂
The other night we went to a huge Buffet restaurant. Everyone there was there for one purpose and that was to enjoy an evening meal. The people there represented several nationalities. The array of food to choose from was overwhelming and no one there could have even managed to eat a small portion of everything. Everyone there exited the Buffet with the satisfaction and knowledge that they were well fed even though probably very few ate the exact same items. God’s Buffet is larger than our own experience.

The Gordon Conwell Theologocal Seminary (which is evangelical Protestant and presumably would want to report a low number of denominations) states that there are 47,000 denominations of Protestantism, so it’s not as simple as easily saying how many there are - but it’s clearly a lot of sects.

Whether there is 30,000, 40,000, or 50,000, there are a lot of them!!!

And also designed and utlized by a religious sociological organization which produces a regular volume of data on religious demographics.

The key here is the definition of “denomination”.

True . And as used by the originators of those figures, it doesn’t resemble the ordinary use of the word “denomination”, either.

I’ll post more after Mass.

Eager to see something that could put this tired polemic to rest.

If you think I’m wrong, why not educate me and everyone else yourself?

Look, we can debate the number of branches of Protestantism; debate the definition of a sect vs a denomination; etc., and what we’re left with is “there are thousands of branches of Protestantism” and esssntially all of them think they have the truth.

Each denomination has some sort of central organization. You can read their statement of faith, covenents, “What We Believe” on their website.

This is very helpful to learn the wide diversity in beliefs.

Protestant is not a generic set of beliefs.

If you think I’m wrong, why not educate me and everyone else yourself?

Look, we can debate the number of branches of Protestantism; debate the definition of a sect vs a denomination; etc., and what we’re left with is “there are thousands of branches of Protestantism” and esssntially all of them think they have the truth.
As I understand it, it appears to be simple…maybe too simple to grasp. The Catholic Church teaches that the non-Catholic Ecclesial Communities (churches) that believe in the Virgin birth of Jesus, believe in His death and resurrection for the forgiveness of our sins, baptize individuals in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, strive to live a life of holiness empowered by the Holy Spirit are also a means of salvation even though they are not in communion with Rome or have the fullness of Truth as taught by Rome.

If I have the wrong understanding please correct me, for I also have the understanding that you as a Catholic are required to uphold the decisions of the Church whether you like it or not and to do otherwise is to be divisive.

I am going to have to agree with you here, there was a video about bishop barron talking about this subject matter on whether the catholic church is the one true church. He mentioned that Catholic church have the fullness of truth to salvation and the protestant church do not have the fullness of truth, but varying degrees of participation, but it doesn’t necessarily meant that they are not saved.

Last edited:
I don’t know what you are talking about,
Suggesting I’m being divisive. What I’ve said is, there are 30,000 sects of
Protestantism and they all think they “have it right.” No more, no less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back