Disagreement on Makeup/Decorum

  • Thread starter Thread starter gcshapero
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s weird, I didn’t wear much, if any, makeup when I was a teenage/early 20s but during a really stressful period in my I tried it upon the recommendation from an article that it was good form of self care and it worked and now I am crazy for makeup. I don’t wear it every day, and I certainly don’t do it for my husband, but I do it for me because it’s fun and it is a form of self care. For example I was feeling pretty down in the dumps due to physical symptoms of early pregnancy lately, but giving myself some glam looks with a new highlighter palette cheered me up quite a bit.

My point is is that women don’t wear makeup for the same reasons. I think it’s silly to wear it for men, because men don’t notice or care in my experience. If anything you wear it for other women because we’re going to be the ones who notice or care 😛 Like I said, I wear it for myself because it’s a nice, calming process to figure out a look that gives me a nice mood uplift. It’s not a vanity issue either, it’s a grooming issue, just like you feel better after a good shower. I don’t do it because I think “yeah look at me and look at how hot I am! everyone’s gonna want me now!” I do it because it’s fun and relaxing and creative way to express yourself. If anything the sinful aspect can be how much money you spend on it, but if you are smart about purchases it can be very reasonable; I only buy stuff on discount and never go for the real fancy stuff.

Self-decoration/adornment is a universal cultural constant in that every culture has it some way or the other. Making ourselves look in a way that we want through the use of cosmetics is a natural part of the human experience in the way that cooking or artistic expression is, and to say it’s stupid or sinful to embrace this basic aspect of self-awareness demonstrates a lack of consideration as to what to the human experience is.

For example, she said that tattoos are okay? That’s another form of body alteration, which is the same premise. Making yourself look the way you want is part of being a conscious being. Everyday we make a choices as to how we will be presenting ourselves physically to the world: what we will wear, how our hair will look, whether we will have a beard or not if we’re men, etc. Make-up is just another option. No one has to wear it, just like no one should have to wear anything they find uncomfortable, but you also can’t tell other people not to wear it either.
 
It is clear from both your view, and from hers, that you are called as a couple to wear makeup. As she will not, you must now take up the calling and wear makeup yourself.
 
I think people are going off on a tangent. I don’t think the OP is asking whether we wear makeup or not. He isn’t even asking if it is a sin or not. His topic is about dealing with his girlfriend when there are disagreements and how she reacts.
 
Yeah you do need to be concerned. This sort of illogical thinking will be a huge stumbling block raising children.
 
I agree. The makeup question is just a symptom of a much bigger issue.
 
I don’t think that’s necessarily true, but I agree that this could be a flag of other possible future problems.
 
You dont think what is true? That he should be concerned, or that it will be a problem raising kids? People need to be able to support their views. Not just say something is stupid and act like that explains it enough.
 
I don’t think that’s necessarily true, but I agree that this could be a flag of other possible future problems.
I’m going to pull the “sorry kid, btdt got the tee shirt” card on you.

The op gf has issues with a normal practice and has ascribed sin while being fine with other activities of equal moral neutrality.

Kids are ultimate bs detectors. Something like this is going to be a huge issue to a teenage girl. If you can’t explain something with logic and reason you are going to be in trouble. I don’t wear makeup. It’s time consuming and expensive. But it’s not sinful.

My friend believes Disney is sinful and should be boycotted. Her husband loves all things Disney. They eventually allowed the kids to watch the old movies. The kids live in a perpetual state of conflict because they like something their mom thinks is sinful and should be avoided. It’s hard. And now that they are adults they don’t trust their mom as a spiritual go-to because they understand what is and isn’t sinful.

As a parent you have to be so careful about what you teach is sinful since you are often going against the current. Ascribing sin to neutral issues is the quickest way to ensure that they think Catholics are stupid.
 
Tell her this and ask her what she believes about submitting to her husband’s spiritual leadership in marriage even if she disagrees. (especially because, in this instance, she is wrong about makeup being a sin.) That may just lead to a very interesting conversation about both of your beliefs, expectations and ability to compromise/cooperate with one another. You’ll both probably gain some valuable insights.
Actually we had a pretty long conversation last about just that. It led into the discussion of owning a gun, how to compromise certain things, when compromise cannot happen and how to handle that.

It was a good conversation but it wasn’t fully resolved and a lot of questions still opened. It’s something I’m sure we’ll be speaking a lot about.
 
You dont think what is true? That he should be concerned, or that it will be a problem raising kids? People need to be able to support their views. Not just say something is stupid and act like that explains it enough.
Exactly. I could make an argument that makeup is sinful, say, if you don’t have the money and are forgoing food to buy it. Or if you are wasting time on it that should be given to children or the care of other individuals. Makeup itself? No.

But sin is a BIG DEAL. Sin harms our relationship with God. The Catholic Church is pretty clear on what does that and has no ruling as to utilitarian makeup. This is not a good precursor to this woman’s ability to use logic and understand the truth.
 
This sort of illogical thinking will be a huge stumbling block raising children.
It may just be confined to this one issue.

However, I am going to bow to the authority of those who are actually married on this thread. @Xanthippe_Voorhees and @Irishmom2 know better than me 🙂
 
40.png
Xanthippe_Voorhees:
This sort of illogical thinking will be a huge stumbling block raising children.
It may just be confined to this one issue.

However, I am going to bow to the authority of those who are actually married on this thread. @Xanthippe_Voorhees and @Irishmom2 know better than me 🙂
Oh Max,

It very well could be limited to this one thing. But you’re a teen, I would think you could get some of this from the perspective of a teen. Why don’t we make this scenario about “one thing” that’s near and dear to you? If your parent decided that, say, going on the internet was a sin and you knew it wasn’t would you really feel obligated to respect and obey them? To a teenage girl, these sort of things are very important.

So perhaps it’s not your age but your gender that’s skewing your view here. 🤣
 
Which is why I bowed. I am at a triple disadvantage of gender, age, and station in life here that makes me essentially a non-contributor 😃
 
Last night, when we spoke for a couple of hours, it was clear to me that we need to work on our communication. Half of the time I couldn’t understand whether she was only giving an opinion or stating what she believed to be a fact. Some moments, she seemed to side against me on something, then when I explained why I felt the way I did, she would say “I’m not disagreeing with you. I already know this.” so it ended up being unclear to me as to where we what would need to be addressed and cleared up and what would we’re both already siding on.

We ended up going into the subject of home defense and who takes leadership. I said that the husband always takes leadership and protection over his entire family. She began to ask why the wife can’t be totally equal with the husband in throwing herself into harm’s way for the sake of the family. When I explained that that is not her role, that she would be more use to first run to the care of her kids and make sure they are safe before jumping in as some sort of tag-team partner with the husband, she seemed to have thought I was being tyrannical.

When I explained it’s not tyranny, it’s service, and it’s the precise role for men to tack on that element of sacrifice and is every man’s calling, she said she wasn’t arguing against it. So I wasn’t entirely sure whether she sided with me or not. She said it seemed tyrannical, but then agreed with it.

Needless to say, we need to work on communication and certain things. I recommended we speak with another married couple and a priest at some point. The way I am explaining these things to her may be aggressive and even poorly done. And maybe I’m missing what she means.
 
Last edited:
Which is why I bowed. I am at a triple disadvantage of gender, age, and station in life here that makes me essentially a non-contributor 😃
I’m actually curious though, because I feel like your voice about this could be a valuable contribution to the conversation as a teen. Lets make it about something that does pertain to you.

One of your parents decides that any use of the internet is a sin. No CAF, no Youtube, no Reddit, no email. Nothing.

But they are fine with violent video games, raunchy TV and other such banal entertainment.

How would you feel about that sort of illogical behavior and thinking?
 
I’ve only kept half an eye on this thread, so I;m not entirely sure of how relevant this is.

However, if that technology argument is a fair analogy, then yes, there is a strong lack of logic here.
 
Needless to say, we need to work on communication and certain things. I recommended we speak with another married couple and a priest at some point.
Yeah, you are both equals. Your views hold some problematic issues, too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top