Do Catholics have to pray to Mary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Curious11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t need Mary to pray for me. God hears my prayers just fine and doesn’t need anyone else.

And before it’s asked, I do not ask anyone to pray for me.
 
Why wouldn’t you though? It certainly doesn’t hurt. Are we not a community of believers?
 
I have already explained why I don’t.

Apparently my beliefs vary from that as the Catholic church believes.

So, that is why it’s best for me to leave the church.
 
Last edited:
Even Jesus had Twelve Apostles and a human family to support Him. I don’t understand why you would want to go at it alone. Christianity was never meant to be a solitary effort.
 
I never said that I am solitary, just that I don’t ask for others to pray for me. God hears me just fine.

If you’re talking about my not attending Mass, I explained that already and was given permission by my priest not to attend due to circumstances with my ex-wife and our children.
 
I was not asking about the Mass, I did see that.

Are you though? And asking other people (or the Saints) to pray for you isn’t to intensify your prayers or make sure God hears them. You’re right, he hears them just fine with one person. It’s about supporting others and allowing them to support you.
 
I don’t need support in praying.

I have my family, my partner at work who is a Christian and my girlfriend who is Episcopalian.

I am surrounded by believers in God and Christ.
 
Fine. If you insist.

You can’t leave the Catholic Church, for one. You’ll always be a member of it. Even if you go to another parish. It’s a very grave thing to leave it, and you may put your soul in jepordy. It is the one true Church established by Christ and contains the fullness of truth. You’re leaving it and the Sacraments, including the Eucharist which is tee true body and blood of Christ, all because of intercession to Mary. None of us can stop you, but you can be warned.
 
Thank you for the warning, but I’m not really that concerned and I will see you in Heaven and we’ll have a laugh over this.

I was born in into a Catholic family and wasn’t given the choice of what religion to follow God and Jesus in. I have never felt part of the Catholic church and this is truly for the best as I am tired of living a lie anyway and at least now I can go to a church service since I don’t have to worry about my ex-wife causing trouble by me going to Mass with our kids.

Also, I will not be part of church that says even if you denounce it and are no longer part of it you are still a member. That reeks of control issues and cultish attitude.
 
Last edited:
Also, I will not be part of church that says even if you denounce it and are no longer part of it you are still a member. That reeks of control issues and cultish attitude.
It’s a matter of being part of the Body of Christ. You were baptized, I take it, and your baptism made you part of the Body of Christ. Just as you can never be un-baptized, since it’s an indelible mark, you cannot leave the Body of Christ. And if the Catholic Church is true, then it the fullness of that Body, so therefore, you can never leave it.
I will see you in Heaven and we’ll have a laugh over this.
I hope so.
 
Last edited:
The Body of Christ isn’t just the Catholic church. So, I am not leaving the Body of Christ.

You will see me in Heaven, of that I have no doubt!
 
The keyword is fullness!

And hopefully you’re right and I will! But it would be wrong of me not you warn you.
 
See, I never believed that the Catholic church had the fullness of the truth. I believe it is but one part of the whole truth, but not the whole. All true Christian denominations make up the whole and each one brings it’s own truth to the whole.

There are different churches for a reason and that’s because not everyone will meet God in the Catholic church, or the Episcopal church or a Baptist church, etc… Each person meets God in a way that they themselves are able to understand and put into practice. In my case the Catholic church doesn’t. There are other denominations out there that don’t pray to Mary and where I will still meet with God and learn about Him and our savior Jesus Christ and learn to live a God honoring Christian life.
 
I believe it is but one part of the whole truth, but not the whole. All true Christian denominations make up the whole and each one brings it’s own truth to the whole.
It’s funny that you say that. I’m a convert to Catholicism, and that’s almost exactly what I believed before I converted. I thought every church emphasized one particular aspect of Christianity and it was all a matter of finding what you wanted to emphasise. I was wrong. I don’t agree at all with what you’re doing and think it’s incredibly dangerous and a bit sad, but I wish you the best nonetheless.
 
Then maybe it’s as I said. You were meant to be in the Catholic church because that’s where you will meet with God the easiest and closest.

My denomination is elsewhere.
 
All true Christian denominations make up the whole and each one brings it’s own truth to the whole.
This position would seem to ignore that all Christian ‘denominations’ are in fact schisms from the one true Church formed by Christ. To break away from the true Church and create your own version of the truth is not creating a new truth, it is in fact a denial of the truth.

Lonegreywolf, stay within the fold of the one true Church formed by Christ. Why abandon the barque of Peter for a denomination created by man?
 
Last edited:
Because I will not pray to Mary or the saints and I really do feel as though I never belonged even as a child.

I have already begun my search for another denomination as this is not the church for me.
 
Good luck. Just remember to love God above all else and your neighbor as yourself. I’ll pray for you
 
What do you mean by extracurricular devotions?
Personal devotions… Those religious practices that anyone can choose to do… or not… things like the rosary, chaplet of divine mercy, miraculous medals, brown scapular, any apparitions, etc. Things that involve praying with saints outside of the liturgy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top