Do Catholics have to pray to Mary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Curious11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t you think Jesus would think it rude of us not to acknowledge His mother, even often? - I try not to speak for Christ, but I’m not suggesting for a second that we don’t acknowledge the Church’s teaching on Mary… Seems like it always comes back to this point, but I really don’t believe that any one has even hinted at this.

Do we treat her less than our own mother when Our Lord gave His mother to us? - Well the scene from the cross has been interpreted by some to be that Christ gave his mother to all of the world. Another interpretation is that he gave her to the apostle that he loved and he took her in to his home. Whatever you believe on this topic is fine, but either way there is no disrespect to Jesus or Mary.

Do we dismiss His gift? - I don’t think anyone has suggested dismissing God’s work through and for Mary - the Immaculate Conception, the Incarnation, the Assumption and the Divine Maternity is quite a lot… Has anyone said to dismiss these things?

Why is the argument never: Can we ever love the mother of our Savior enough? - I hear this often…I think Mary would say yes there is a limit and to place our love with Jesus. I simply prefer to think about knowing, loving and serving God in this world so that we can be happy with him forever in the next.

Someone is always trying to diminish. - I disagree here…I think someone is always trying to embellish.

Catholicism’s spirit is instead to increase the importance of everything that God gives us. - This is your opinion and obviously I and others in the thread disagree.
 
Last edited:
One can’t freely reject Christ’s gift of Mary as Our Mother–who constantly cares for us-- and do so until death, and be saved.
That would mean no non-Catholic could be saved. And that we are saved by Mary. Not by faith, grace or anything else. This is clearly not Catholic, not thought out, not Scriptural.

I’ve heard it said that sound Mariology can only be achieved on the foundation of a sound soteriology. I believe you have it backwards.
 
Don’t you think Jesus would think it rude of us not to acknowledge His mother, even often?

Do we treat her less than our own mother when Our Lord gave His mother to us?

Do we dismiss His gift?

Why is the argument never: Can we ever love the mother of our Savior enough?
Well said.

That’s how I feel.

But I don’t mean to judge anyone. That’s not the point at all. Just the opposite. Mary makes me see that I deserve hell but have no need to dwell on that, but rather on God’s Goodness.

Nor is it to absolutely demand certain forms of devotion, not even saying the Hail Mary, even as important as that prayer and the Rosary are in the Church.

But neither can we can we say that a personal relationship with Mary is unnecessary.

If people only knew how much help she gives us, and she loved each human person, uniquely, from under the cross as she suffered with her Son, in dependence on His grace, for our salvation.
 
Last edited:
I noticed you’re a Calvinist. Did you come here to learn more about Catholicism?
 
That would mean no non-Catholic could be saved.
No. I said “freely”, meaning that one knows about Mary’s subordinate role as our Mother in the order of grace, but freely rejects her. That would be bad. Conversely, God knows when we just don’t consciously know the truth or have another psychological impediment. God looks at the heart.
 
Last edited:
Again, no one but you is talking about “rejecting” Mary.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that not everyone who is Catholic has to have a devotion to Mary like you do?

It is not, now nor has it ever been, an obligation. Please stop using language that makes it seem like anyone who doesn’t do what you do is “less than”.
 
Last edited:
No. I’m not calling anyone a name.

I’m saying that people who see greeting Mary as beneath them, or unnecessary, or awkward, or too quaint, or anacrhonistic…are, in essence, being stingy with their expression of love.

That’s what I am saying.

If someone comes along and applies that to themselves…and gets defensive and offended…that’s their own issue.
 
I didn’t say I was a Calvinist. Not all Reformed describe themselves as such.

I’m here for dialog, mainly.
 
40.png
SojournerOnEarth:
That would mean no non-Catholic could be saved.
No. I said “freely”, meaning that one knows about Mary’s subordinate role as our Mother in the order of grace, but freely rejects her. That would be bad. Conversely, God knows when we just don’t consciously know the truth or have another psychological impediment. God looks at the heart.
Thank you for the clarification.
 
Again who here as said any of this??

This thread is just another example of why so many Protestants think that we “worship” Mary😕
 
Again who here as said any of this??

This thread is just another example of why so many Protestants think that we “worship” Mary😕
A lot of that is due to careless and unguarded hyperbole. And the occasional Catholic one runs into who actually does worship Mary. I knew one who insisted she is part of the Godhead.
 
I don’t know who “we” you’re speaking for in the above response ("…we don’t…).

I guess I would challenge you…if you acknowledge the Church’s teaching about Mary (which is an act of the intellect)…why don’t also acknowledge that teaching with the will, your will…via acts of charity toward your spiritual mother…or acts of tenderness…expressions of love for your spiritual mother?

Why do you allow such a fissure between your intellect (accepting the teaching of the Church) and your will?

Having such a fissue between these two on any matter isn’t a good thing…it leads to unpeace, confusion, defensiveness, etc.
 
Last edited:
We don’t love Mary enough! That doesn’t mean worship.

It’s these strange boxes and categories that people force things into
 
“Not rejecting” isn’t an expression of love, is it?

It’s not an act of family charity, is it?

“Jesus, I didn’t outright reject your mother, are You pleased?”
 
Last edited:
WOW! 😟

This is really just over the top.
I am not even sure how to respond.
It is this attitude that sometimes makes any Marian devotion look bad.
 
Last edited:
I don’t know who “we” you’re speaking for in the above response ("…we don’t…). - I was using we to mean Catholics in general… I think the sentence you’re referring to is this …"I’m not suggesting for a second that we don’t acknowledge the Church’s teaching on Mary"

I guess I would challenge you…if you acknowledge the Church’s teaching about Mary (which is an act of the intellect)…why don’t also acknowledge that teaching with the will, your will…via acts of charity toward your spiritual mother…or acts of tenderness…expressions of love for your spiritual mother? - I think you’re projecting… I acknowledge and give assent to the Church’s teaching with my will and my intellect. Because that assent does not look exactly like yours does not make it not exist

Why do you allow such a fissure between your intellect (accepting the teaching of the Church) and your will?
Having such a fissue between these two on any matter isn’t a good thing…it leads to unpeace, confusion, defensiveness, etc. - I don’t think such a fissure exists…
 
Last edited:
“Not rejecting” Mary is over the top!

Loving Mary as God loved us is instead “very Gospel”

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Your point reinforces my concern that you have a fissure!

You supposedly accept the Church’s teaching (do you really know the full meaning?) on Mary…but that intellectual belief doesn’t find expression in your heart and in your will. ergo…fissure.
 
Last edited:
And again, when did I or anyone who said that I didn’t love Mary?

You are assuming that because I don’t do what you do or you think I should, I am somehow deficient.

That is over the top and not at all Catholic teaching.
 
Brothers and sisters. The time has now come to make peace. I encourage you to post prayers you offer to God for the person you have been arguing with.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top