Do Catholics have to pray to Mary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Curious11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A parish priest cannot simply tell a Catholic it’s ok to refuse to pray a Mass prayer that has prayers to Mary and the saints in it.

Such a permission would weaken the doctrine of the intercessory efficacy of the Virgin and the saints.

I mean, what if a Catholic has a problem with another doctrine? Can a parish priest simply give permission to individuals to refuse to say whatever prayer in the liturgy they disagree with?

When did this become permissible? Where is this permission cited as acceptable?
 
Last edited:
I am unable to message you do ib will go ahead and ask here.

As far as the Confiteor goes, my priest says that I do not have to pray it because it does have Mary and the saints in it, is this correct as well?

He said I could pray another prayer instead.

If I must, then I will do so, but in was going by what my priest said I am able to do and rejecting what lay people were saying as I believe my priest to have the authority to know what I can and cannot do better than a lay person.
Yes…the webmaster, at my request, disabled my personal messaging so I would not have to deal with cyber-bullies and their attempts to message me – but the system by which I can contact the administrators is intact, so I will ask them if they can facilitate an exchange of message between you and I.

Again, I want to assure you that your priest has answered you correctly and you should follow his instructions with complete confidence – not that of lay people who have attacked you on this forum. They are to be ignored. Do not respond to them, as the Forum rules counsel:
When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.
Attempts to badger or bludgeon you should be left without any response and left for the moderators to deal with. I was all but certain that you were not aware of what to do to involve the moderators to assist you…now you do.

That a lay person would in any way attempt to interfere in the explicit direction you have received from the priest who has the cura animarum for you is unconscionable – and as a priest, I have intervened therefore to shield you from further attacks while we await the moderators, who police this page, to come to your aid and to analyse what has happened.

I am so sorry that you have been the victim of what you have endured – and that across days. That is very sad. It is shocking.

Please be patient as we await @cawebmaster to make it possible by whatever needs to be done on that end – I know not what all – to receive and then answer your personal message, so that I can try to help restore your equanimity of soul.

But again, you should have complete confidence in your parish priest – and ignore forum posters who contradicted what your parish priest told you, @lonegreywolf20
 
Last edited:
So that Catholics on this thread can achieve understanding, Don Ruggero: are you saying that a Catholic priest may freely advise Catholics under his pastoral care that they are free to refuse to pray whatever prayers of the Mass they have a personal problem with?
 
Thank you for your replies and reassurance!

I will await the ability to speak to you in personal message.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your replies and reassurance!

I will await the ability to speak to you in personal message.
You are very welcomed, to be sure.

I was shocked by what was being written at you and it left me completely agog that the matter could be so far out of hand – as well as feeling very badly for you. Truly, I am more sorry for what you have endured than I can express.

I was glad, at least, to read in your posts that your priest is attentive to all the trials you are passing through. May he continue to give you good help.

The new system…platform?..of this forum is very alien to me. I cannot use it with any ease, like I could the old system. I am of another age, literally, and the old message system operated in a way that my old brain could understand – or at least wrap my head around.

The new and improved model does not have the features that I could understand and operate The webmaster will have to help me since the webmaster was the one who disabled the personal message system for me.

Be patient and I am confident that the forum’s powers that be will make it possible for us to have a private communication away from others, to resolve what has disturbed you in conscience. If we have problem in connecting…remember, you parish priest is the good shepherd of your soul and he is the one who has both governance as well as jurisdiction for you and responsibility for your well-being.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top