Do Catholics know the real Jesus?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JehuandGod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! You guys really are on fire, well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert. Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism? Do you except all doctrine from the 2nd Vatican?
Alexander, you’ll find a good combination here of “cradle” Catholics (such as myself) and converts to Catholicism from a wide variety of Protestant denominations - and some from no previous religion at all.

And, yes, I do. 🙂

You might find the discussion easier to manage if you were to create individual threads for specific topics - but not too many at a time. I hope you have finally decided to question and not to accuse falsely. 🙂
 
Wow! You guys really are on fire, well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert. Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism? Do you except all doctrine from the 2nd Vatican?
Quite a bit has been said in reply to your other posts, but each time you come back to post, you just move on to something else. I am sure you will get some great replies on this post, but do you not wish to answer any of the responses here already?
 
Wow! You guys really are on fire, well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert. Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism? Do you except all doctrine from the 2nd Vatican?
Vatican II set no new Doctrines. It would be nice if you responded to the our answers to you before you ask more questions or do you now understand that Mary is not worshipped and that she was both sinless and a virgin her whole life?
 
Wow! You guys really are on fire, well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert. Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism?
No, as I stated earlier, over half the people on this board come from an evangelical protestant background. Additionally there are a large number of us who are from the other Catholic Churches. BTW, you are using the term ‘Roman’ Catholic incorrectly. You really ought to learn a little bit about The Church before attempting to criticize it. The Catholic Church is a communion of Sui Juris Churches. The ‘Roman’ Catholic Church is only one of them. Among the others are the Byzantine Catholic Churches such as the Antiochene Catholic Church (I’ll bet you didn’t know that Antioch is still part of the Catholic Church as it always has been). As a matter of fact I attended Divine Liturgy at the Melkite Catholic Church where they celebrated the Liturgy of St. James (you know, the Apostle who wrote the book of James! He wrote the order of worship for one of our first Liturgies). You might want to attend this sometime and see the form of worship that the Apostles handed down to us.

You haven’t responded to my post here:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost…5&postcount=93
What do you have to say to what I’ve stated there and above?

Your servant in Christ.

 
Wow! You guys really are on fire, well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert. Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism? Do you except all doctrine from the 2nd Vatican?
Many of us are converts. I am. I was educated in seminary as an Episcopal Priest.

There is no “doctrine” from the 2nd Vatican Council. The Council did not address doctrine. It was a pastoral Council. The current Catechism of the Catholic Church is a modern catechism that states the teachings of the Church in a modern way. It is the first authoritative catechism for the universal Church published since The Roman Catechism of the sixteenth century.
 
Wow! You guys really are on fire,
Which is a good thing, right? I hope you are taking the time to read through every response and all the links because it will prevent drawing back to issues we’ve already covered, and I’m sorry I haven’t responded to your PM yet. I will.
well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert.
Hey, everybody makes mistakes…especially when you’re in a new place like this.
Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism?
Lemme ask you this by way of an answer. Do you know what you are asking?

Strictly speaking, “Roman Catholicism” has more than one meaning, but most of us here prefer to be called just “Catholic”. There are about 22 or 23 (IIRC) “rites” that are part of the Catholic faith and in full communion with us. All of which are Eastern Catholics. They have different liturgies and even languages, but we all share the same beliefs and Sacraments. Many of them are some of the finest brothers and sisters in the faith that I know. Very often, we are referred to as “Roman Rite” or “Latin Rite”, but as I said, we are all Catholic.

As for where I come from? I am what we jokingly call a “re-vert” because I was born and raised in the faith, left it, and was various kinds of n-C for over 30 years and then “reverted” about 7 years ago. I’m home. I won’t be wandering any more.
Do you except all doctrine from the 2nd Vatican?
Yes.

Is there a follow-up to that question?

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
(The peace of the Lord be always with you.)
 
Wow! You guys really are on fire, well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert. Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism?
Some are cradle Catholic and some are converts, and not all Catholics are Roman. The Roman Rite or Latin Rite makes up the majority, but there are 22 other Eastern Rite Catholic Churches in full communion with the Pope.

Their liturgical worship is very similiar to the Eastern Orthodox Church which are not in full communion with us.
Do you except all doctrine from the 2nd Vatican?
We accept all of the Church teachings not just from Second Vatican Council. I don’t fully understand it all, but I have complete trust in the Catholic Church because Jesus founded it. It’s His Church.
 
TO EVERYONE

Please be careful. Yes he has asked many different questions, and now asks us one more. But look at it this way. He is taking a polite stance and hearing what we said…

He is starting simply, and asking TWO questions.

Ignore the fact that he has in the past thrown out many questions at once, and start fresh…

Again… he seems much more Charitable in his last post, so please respect that.

That being said.

Alex,

Generally speaking, there is a mix of people here. Some from Non Christian backgrounds, others grew up Catholic.

Also, it is important to know that there are many different rites. Roman Catholicism (Latin rite) is but one. This does not mean there are different denominations within the church, just different ways of teaching the same information. All Rites teach the same information and ALL rites are in Union AND agreement with the Magisterium.

With respect to Vat II. There were several issues discussed, the most notable being changes in the WAY worship was done, but there was really no new information provided. Is there one particular issue you would like to comment on?

In Christ
 
TO EVERYONE

Please be careful. Yes he has asked many different questions, and now asks us one more. But look at it this way. He is taking a polite stance and hearing what we said…

He is starting simply, and asking TWO questions.

Ignore the fact that he has in the past thrown out many questions at once, and start fresh…

Again… he seems much more Charitable in his last post, so please respect that.

That being said.

Alex,

Generally speaking, there is a mix of people here. Some from Non Christian backgrounds, others grew up Catholic.

Also, it is important to know that there are many different rites. Roman Catholicism (Latin rite) is but one. This does not mean there are different denominations within the church, just different ways of teaching the same information. All Rites teach the same information and ALL rites are in Union AND agreement with the Magisterium.

With respect to Vat II. There were several issues discussed, the most notable being changes in the WAY worship was done, but there was really no new information provided. Is there one particular issue you would like to comment on?

In Christ
👍 :clapping: :tiphat:
 
Wow! You guys really are on fire, well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert. Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism? Do you except all doctrine from the 2nd Vatican?
I think that maybe you don’t understand exactly what Vatican II is. May I suggest that you buy yourself a Vatican II book you can get one at amazon for a rather cheap price. I also suggest you get yourself a Catechism you can also pick one up at amazon.

I think that if you read through them you would be rather surprised on how Christian Catholics are and how much you had been fooled into believing other wise.

Good luck! 👍
 
Everything Catholics hold to is tradition. Prove me wrong.
Besides the fact that most everything who said about Catholicism in your post is WRONG, that last line there sounds a challenge. You’re in for it now, dude! 😃

In Christ,

Ellent
 
There is no point in this thread. The OP is not willing to have a conversation.
 
Wow! You guys really are on fire, well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert. Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism? Do you except all doctrine from the 2nd Vatican?
Yes, I am Catholic. Yes, I accept all Catholic Church teaching. May I ask in turn, with what church are you affiliated?
 
There is no point in this thread. The OP is not willing to have a conversation.
I think that we need to keep in mind that Alex, is not the only one reading these threads so we must keep going for all those who are reading and hold to the beliefs that Alex does.

Also even if Alex were to leave tomorrow he now knows that Catholics do know their faith and that we are Christian. If anything else he has seen a side of Christianity that he didn’t know existed. The Holy Spirit led him here for a reason, although it might not be for the reason he thinks. Who know we might actual have an effect on him maybe not today, or next week but with our prays and the Holy Spirit’s guidance someday. 👍
 
You first asked if we know Jesus Christ. Yes, we have recognized Him in the breaking of the bread.
Amen!! 🙂

Just for the record, I am a Catholic of the Latin Rite. I converted almost seven years ago (last Friday was the anniversary of my first Catechism class after making the decision to convert in RCIA, exactly seven years ago.)

I believe all that the Church teaches and holds to be true.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top