Do Catholics know the real Jesus?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JehuandGod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I’m Alexander (edited personal information) and I’m 21 years old. I’m new to Forums and I would like to talk and share Christ Jesus with anyone that would like to hear His Word. I’m a “Christian” a believer in Christ, faccording to God’s word. I’m not hear to argure but state facts. I not here to say what is "right and what is “wrong”. I’m here to pray for the catholics in hope that they will see the Christ as He is.🙂
Hi Alex.

Your introduction to yourself is a paradox. That’s all.
 
Everything Catholics hold to is tradition. Prove me wrong.
Actually, you are not so far off base on this comment.

Tradition in the Catholic Church came first… it is what was taught to the 12 from Jesus Himself. It is the fullness of the faith, made clear to them through the Holy Spirit.

Nothing new or contrary to the Tradition was revealed to anyone after the death of John, the Beloved Disicple. All that revelation was completed then.

Much of that Tradition was eventually written down as the Gospel spread across the world. That is where the world gets the New Testament.

So yes, we do hold to the Tradition… as it is written in OUR book of the Church… The Bible… and as it is taught by the magisterium of the only Church founded by Jesus Christ.

please answer some…any…of the questions which posters have asked you…you can even cut and paste if what you post is really what you think you believe.

.
 
Jehu,
I just tried to respond to your Pm but your inbox is full, so please make some room and message me when you’ve done so and I’ll send mine again.
Pax tecum.
(Peace be with you) [Luke 10:5-6]
 
Wow! You guys really are on fire, well, I like this and sorry I had to post such a long excert. Um well, Lets all take this piece by piece. I’ll start with the simplest: Do you all come from Roman Catholism? Do you except all doctrine from the 2nd Vatican?
Hey, glad you’re still around. You made a wise decision to restart with just a couple of questions. As you can see we can “ramp up” here pretty quick lol.

Anyway to answer your questions. I was raised as a Southern Baptist and was an active and enthusiastic Baptist for 30 years. My studies eventually lead me to The Church about about 3 years ago and I finally crossed the Tiber last year. I’m home now and it feels great. I was confirmed with about 30 other adults most of whom like me were from evangelical backgrounds.

As to Vatican II yes I accept all of Vatican II.
 
Alex,

I don’t care how good of a theologian and apologist you are in your faith. There is no way that anyone can keep up with the amount of information we all just threw at you. So, we will take it slow (right guys?).

But, I do have a question. Are you prepared apologetically to get into it nitty-gritty with some of us Catholics? I only say this because we are very used to debate and it will take, on your part, an intense understanding of the Catholic faith (not an ‘explained by a protestant’ understanding of our faith, but our real faith, explained by Catholics) to be able to keep up with our argumentation, especially when it comes to some of the things you have brought up.

I fear you might be behind in some of your understanding of Catholic doctrine, only because of what you have said and how you said it, it shows that you may not understand the TRUE Catholic faith, as so frequently happens. So, we will reteach you if you are willing.

Take a different approach if you don’t mind. Ask us what we believe about (blank) and we will tell you, with support from the Bible and the ECFs. And then, if you disagree tell us why and with whatever support you may find relevant.

It may be easier for everyone that way.

Pax
 
Alex,
I was watching the Journey Home program yesterday on EWTN. This program interviews people who have converted, or reverted to the Church, many of them former pastors. If you can get it on cable or on you computer I highly recommend it. Check it out here =
ewtn.com/journeyhome/index.asp

The guest was a fromer evangelical pastor who has come home to the Catholic Church. His name is Dr. David Bell and he had been born and raised in the protestant tradition. He also had been a pastor for close to 30 years.
He made a couple of comments that I thought were interesting and appropriate to this thread.
  1. He discovered that, no protestant denomination can hold the fullness of the truth that the Catholic Church holds.
  2. The writings of the early Church fathers were incredibly eye-opening. As an ordained minister with 2 degrees plus a doctorite, he had never been exposed to these writings in the protestant divinity schools.
Thought it might give you something to think about and check on.

James
 
I thought of something else that David Bell mentioned on the Journey Home Program.

That often times there are differences in definitions of the same words when used by Catholics and Protestants.
For instance Prayer.
Most protestants consider prayer as being only directed to God. That is praising and worshiping God
Catholics on the other hand think of prayer as any communication between ourselves and the heavenly spiritual world.
Thus when a protestant and catholic are talking about “praying to Mary” they may well be talking about completely different things.

Just more food for thought.
Peace
James
 
Everything Catholics hold to is tradition. Prove me wrong.
Why should we prove wrong that which is correct?

We hold to all Tradition as communicated by Christ to His Apostles who communicated them to their disciples. Some of the Apostles and disciples wrote some of the Traditions down. Sometime in the 4th century those Traditions were canonized and declared as Inspired Writings. You call these “The Bible.”
 
2 Thess 2:14

14 Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle.
 
Hey guys…

Just wanted to point out that his last post pulled back a little and is starting with only one or two questions. Start with those and respect him for taking note to what we said about slowing down, and asking in charity…

IN Christ
 
Has anyone heard anymore from JesuandGod?🤷
I remember he PM’d someone…
This was being a pretty good thread then all of a sudden - nothin’!
Well we’re off to hike and to adoration…:gopray:
Check in later…

James
 
Has anyone heard anymore from JesuandGod?🤷
I remember he PM’d someone…
This was being a pretty good thread then all of a sudden - nothin’!
Well we’re off to hike and to adoration…:gopray:
Check in later…

James
I hope we haven’t scared him off with our :knight2: approach.
 
You guys didn’t scare me off, I’ve just been busy, but can anyone explian to me the role that the pope plays in the catholic church. I don’t see anything in the scriptures that support his authority. Also I am not a protestant.
You see the catholics have two kinds of doctrine: proxima fidi and di fidi.

Proxima fidi is a nonessential one that can be changed. Why? Well, for example, it used to be that only priest can touch the waffer with two fingers, but now others can do so.

Di fidi cannot be changed correct?

Why is it that biblical christianity has no problem with martial love but the catholic church does. For example, for centuries the catholic church had rules that if you were married you could not have sexual relations on fridays because Jesus had been crucified on fridays nor on sundays because He rose on sundays and so on and so on until only thursdays and tuesdays was permissionable unless it was not the Feast of Saint Bridget or something like that.You guys always have this kind of hung up.

So as a result of this kind of oppression, you guys wound up the very same thing Paul warned aginst. Paul said that it is better to marry than to burn with passion: if someone has grace to be single they will not burn with passion right? They will not need a spouse; and some people do have that grace, but if you are not amoung them, you should not pretend you are. If you do not have the grace, and try to force it upon yourself, you will end up in some kind of sin. Catholism is a prime example of this.
Remember Jesus died for our sins on the cross; He takes away our guilt, because His blood removes all sin. Every perversion of the Gospel will deny the sufficiency of the cross some kind of way. Why must we staple things to the cross?

Do you catholics have a guilt complex? I’m just wondering? I’m asking in a honest and loving way that catholics have a guilt-ridden complex, and it drives you guys to do all kinds of things. Have you been to guys been to Rome? Have you seen the Scala Sancta? Where little old ladies climbing a flight of stairs on there knees in the cold, trying to say the rosary in order to get themselves or a family member out of pergatory, guilt drives them.

The doctrine of Pergatory was in fact around since the early church, and it was probably gaining alot of momentum during the forth and fifth centuries. Purgatory was really propagated, but during the Renaissance the catholic church needed money to build the cathedrals such as in infamous St. Peter’s. The Dominicans were the indulgence merchants as well as the Inquisitors. The catholics so called Saint Dominic said that because Eve was made from Adams’s rib and the rib was crooked, then women are crooked and prone to witchcraft. History tells us this. Din’t the Dominican drive nails through the women’s touges, didn’t they also do tortures with boiling water? But you guys call this man a saint?

For you really prideful, knowledgable Catholics, here is some history for ya.

Remember Tetzel? He was a Dominican indulgence merchant. He said the following: " When into the coffer a coin rings, From purgatory a soul springs" Catholics used the idea of people’s loved ones suffering in purgatory, only to be released if some good catholic would purchase enough indulgences on thier behalf, a good and cleaver way to manipulate people into spending money. Catholics capitalize on people’s guilt in order to expliot them.

I have read up and studied catholism, studied the cannon, have all the Roman doctrines concerning the church. I want to see you guys saved, God called me to reach to Catholics, I will be going to Rome on a mission trip and I will live there and spread God’s loving message.Thats my calling. Listen; saying a thousand prayers will not give you guys rest. Jesus is the sabbath, He is our Rest. It’s already done. I love you guys so much. You just have the wrong Jesus. I’m not here to expose the Pope, he’s done that himself and God will also do that. Many so called bible believing pastors have given in to sin. All have fallen short to the glory of God. But we are called to be bureans, to study and show ourselves approved, to who? God of course. I ask you guys and every type of christian sect, Are we studying? If we are truly in His Word and not listening to others, being tossed to and fro, from one doctrine to another, God will show us.

I thank everyone here that has spoken in this thread. I love the practice and I see alot of you guys know your stuff. I also know your stuff. But lets truly know His stuff.

I am open to questions you guys have concerning my faith aswell. Ask me some and I’ll be glad to answer.

In Jesus,
Alex
 
More hit and run posting.

JaG, your failure to engage in a conversation, to respond to what others have posted, indicates that you really do not respect us. That you really do not care what any of us think or what we have to say.

Look, if you want to discuss, something, then discuss it. Stop the hit-and-run. People will just ignore you.
 
Alex…

To you in Christ…

Again, i want to reiterate… be careful not to sound too accusatory. Saying you Catholics do this or that. or The Catholic Church oppresses is a little counter productive.

But… to answer your questions…

(1) Concerns about things like not eating meat on Fridays, No sex on the third Monday… blah blah blah…

Though there are probably more in depth explanations that would be more suited, the first thing to remember is things like this are considered Practices, not Doctrine. Often when we are asked to abstain from this or that it is not to be oppressive, or to control who can do what when, but more a recommended tool we can use to remind us of the sacrifices Christ made for us. If these practices are a legitimate stumbling block for someone, then the church isn’t still going to demand it…

Again, abstaining, and self sacrifice is a tool to help us come to Christ. Just because some either improperly explain it, abuse it, or out right don’t understand it doesn’t mean the original intent is wrong.

Again… it is a tool to bring people closer to Christ, but it is NOT a doctrine.

Cont()
 
I told everyone this guy was an anti-Catholic and one of my Catholic brothers even attacked me for it. The title of his post is insulting to the Holy Catholic Faith, “Do Catholics know the real Jesus?”
 
(2) Purgatory

In a nutshell, Purgatory is not a place, but a process. it is something that every Christians in essence believes, just that only Catholics have a name for it.
  1. Very VERY few of us that die in Gods grace will also die without some stain of sin on our soul.
  2. Since NOTHING unclean shall enter heaven, we are cleansed by his blood one last time. We are clothed in a white robe, and hid in Christ. In other words, it is simply the LAST time we need the forgiveness of Christ. There really is nothing more complex about it than that.
Again… purgatory is NOT a place, it is a process, like saying someone is in Labor…

It is NOTHING more than a word used to describe the last time We are forgiven of our sins and our souls are once more Cleansed by his One Time Sacrifice.

It may be instant, it may not…

It may be painful, it may not…

point is just that it is BECAUSE of God’s grace and Jesus’s Sacrifice that Purgatory exists, not in spite of it

If you are in the STATE of purgatory, you are effectively already in heaven. It is not a second chance at redemption, it is not a holding cell for people still trying to figure out if they worship God, etc.

If you are in the STATE of Purgatory, you CANNOT go to hell.

cont()
 
Do you catholics have a guilt complex?
No; we have great love.
I’m just wondering? I’m asking in a honest and loving way that catholics have a guilt-ridden complex, and it drives you guys to do all kinds of things. Have you been to guys been to Rome? Have you seen the Scala Sancta? Where little old ladies climbing a flight of stairs on there knees in the cold, trying to say the rosary in order to get themselves or a family member out of pergatory, guilt drives them.
That’s not guilt (unless they think they did something to cause someone to go to Purgatory instead of to Heaven) - that’s love. They are doing this for the dead in Christ; not for themselves.

As to your scattergun accusations, how about answering what people have written to you, instead of coming up with more and more false witnessing to accuse us with?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top