Do Catholics really think abortion is the same as murder?

  • Thread starter Thread starter xmrkite
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been pro-life, not always for the religious side of it, but the logical side. I can’t wrap my head around it, abortion just plain doesn’t make sense to me.

But it really set in for me at an emotional level when I miscarried at 8 weeks. I had a missed miscarriage and found out 2 weeks later. I went into basically labor, and ended up hemorrhaging we had to call 911 and I was rushed to the hospital. Despite losing a lot of blood (we are talking pints), my body kept up with it and I didn’t need a blood transfusion. But there was the issue of the fact, I was still bleeding a lot. They had to prove to me through tests and ultrasounds before I agreed to a D&C.

In all honesty in that emotional state, if someone told me that they were there for an abortion, I would have punched them. It actually enrages me to no end that people throw their babies in the trash.

I have nothing of that child. No one can replace that child… ever.

My second miscarriage wasn’t any better. The baby was looking like he was implanted in the top of my uterus. I was told that if he didn’t move down further that 1 of 2 things could happen: he could have gone back into my fallopian tube, growing, and causing it to rupture possibly killing me, or it could stay where it was and it would kill me. In short my uterus would have ruptured and I would have bled to death. In the end even with hormonal supplements there wasn’t any way to save him. I continued to bleed (I had gone to the doctor due to bleeding to begin with).

I firmly believe that child gave up his life to save me. God knows that I cannot and would not abort my baby for any reason. The emotional trauma of it alone would kill me.

With in these losses I was given my two children, who are extremely precious to me.

I use my own experiences to deter people instead of pointing blame. As I said it is something I struggle with. I try very hard to be civil and kind. If I show anger to those who have gotten abortions I am only empowering them. But by sharing my stories and using logic, I can at least try to make a difference. I feel that intervention is better than punishment.
 
Yes abortion is the law of the land… but that in itself is not an excuse. Other unjust laws have been the “law of the land”.
But I do understand your point. There are a lot of factors that go into choosing the best tactics.

Yes I have to think that it is a failing considering the moral crime being perpetrated…but again, I bow to the idea of needing to choose the most effective means of resistance.

This is most heartening…Thanks for sharing.

Just to note…I am a firm believer in the necessity of changing hearts as being more necessary than changing laws. We simply cannot hope to change the law - er - I mean the court decisions…without a very strong shift in public opinion.

Peace
James
Here’s another effort that is changing hearts and minds, and no shouting, no videos or gory photos necessary. You should watch their approach because it really works. Disclaimer: These are not Catholics, they are Evangelicals.

180 - The Movie
 
Yes abortion is the law of the land… but that in itself is not an excuse. Other unjust laws have been the “law of the land”.
But I do understand your point. There are a lot of factors that go into choosing the best tactics.

Yes I have to think that it is a failing considering the moral crime being perpetrated…but again, I bow to the idea of needing to choose the most effective means of resistance.

This is most heartening…Thanks for sharing.

Just to note…I am a firm believer in the necessity of changing hearts as being more necessary than changing laws. We simply cannot hope to change the law - er - I mean the court decisions…without a very strong shift in public opinion.

Peace
James
I think 40 Days for Life is so powerful because it seems so non-powerful. It reminds me of how Jesus worked - he didn’t go and attack the Pharisees on their turf, he just did his work with the hearts of the people. Even when THEY confronted him, he did so little outwardly (well, he did finally call them vipers! LOL) It seems so passive, and ineffectual, just to go to the clinics and pray. Of course there is sidewalk counseling, but the heart of the whole campaign is prayer and fasting. That is “all.” But that is exactly the power we hold - faith to move mountains! When I pray at PP, I am fully convinced that God could bring everyone out of that building and then destroy it, and I ask for that. In return, God gives me the patience to continue praying and trying to reach women one at a time.

People are even starting 40 Days campaigns in Europe! I can’t tell you what opposition they face over there. They have no 1st Amendment to fall back on, and the prevailing mentality is unquestionably one of “choice,” and contraception. You must know that all of Europe is not even at replenishment rate of birth, let alone growth. So these brave souls face a lot of condemnation yet they are still putting themselves on the line for the unborn. They inspire me greatly!
 
I have always been pro-life, not always for the religious side of it, but the logical side. I can’t wrap my head around it, abortion just plain doesn’t make sense to me.

But it really set in for me at an emotional level when I miscarried at 8 weeks. I had a missed miscarriage and found out 2 weeks later. I went into basically labor, and ended up hemorrhaging we had to call 911 and I was rushed to the hospital. Despite losing a lot of blood (we are talking pints), my body kept up with it and I didn’t need a blood transfusion. But there was the issue of the fact, I was still bleeding a lot. They had to prove to me through tests and ultrasounds before I agreed to a D&C.

In all honesty in that emotional state, if someone told me that they were there for an abortion, I would have punched them. It actually enrages me to no end that people throw their babies in the trash.

I have nothing of that child. No one can replace that child… ever.

My second miscarriage wasn’t any better. The baby was looking like he was implanted in the top of my uterus. I was told that if he didn’t move down further that 1 of 2 things could happen: he could have gone back into my fallopian tube, growing, and causing it to rupture possibly killing me, or it could stay where it was and it would kill me. In short my uterus would have ruptured and I would have bled to death. In the end even with hormonal supplements there wasn’t any way to save him. I continued to bleed (I had gone to the doctor due to bleeding to begin with).

I firmly believe that child gave up his life to save me. God knows that I cannot and would not abort my baby for any reason. The emotional trauma of it alone would kill me.

With in these losses I was given my two children, who are extremely precious to me.

I use my own experiences to deter people instead of pointing blame. As I said it is something I struggle with. I try very hard to be civil and kind. If I show anger to those who have gotten abortions I am only empowering them. But by sharing my stories and using logic, I can at least try to make a difference. I feel that intervention is better than punishment.
I’m very sorry to hear about these two experiences, and I admire your resolve not to take any easy way out even when your life was at risk. May God bless you and reward you!
 
Here’s another effort that is changing hearts and minds, and no shouting, no videos or gory photos necessary. You should watch their approach because it really works. Disclaimer: These are not Catholics, they are Evangelicals.

180 - The Movie
That is quite a piece of work Juliane…Thanks for sharing it.

Peace
James
 
Here’s another effort that is changing hearts and minds, and no shouting, no videos or gory photos necessary. You should watch their approach because it really works. Disclaimer: These are not Catholics, they are Evangelicals.

180 - The Movie
Thanks for posting this. I watched it and want to show it to my kids, but I wasn’t able to find it again. Thanks for the link.
 
Fetus= A mass of cells which require another live being to survive
Human= A mass of cells which require another live being to survive.

If it’s wrong to kill a human on purpose (which is murder) than if a fetus= human than it wrong to kill a fetus. Therefore, yes, the Catholic church considers abortion murder. It’s the intentional killing of an innocent human.
 
Thanks for posting this. I watched it and want to show it to my kids, but I wasn’t able to find it again. Thanks for the link.
:tiphat:

That sort of thing wouldn’t be MY personal style, but there are many people who can do it, or they can spread the movie.

Satan cannot win this one forever. I believe his time is nearly up and that more people are waking up to this evil every day. I know my sons’ generation, the “survivors” of legalized abortion, will not allow it to continue forever.
 
. And if the government is for death and murder said:
Really?? I guess that was the Germans’ excuse in the 30’s and 40’s. Jesus won’t ask you what your Gov. did. He will ask you what YOU did to try & stop this national crime.
I believe He also said something about the ‘lukewarm’…vomit was it???
 
=mgoforth;9910820]That’s a difficult question you pose, James. It makes me think of the early Christian martyrs in the Roman Empire and I wonder what they would do in our present situation? Would they stage a sit-in? I have no idea…
I don’t know of any overt actions (like protests) that they took to defend the faith, other than refusing to stop worshipping Christ or start worshipping false gods even when threatened with death. I know that as private citizens and Christians we shouldn’t use violence or coersion against our fellow man…I honestly don’t think that’s what God would want.
My question is, where’s the holy “line in the sand” that we draw? I think the HHS mandate is rubbing right up against that line…but what would it look like if the government clearly stepped over it? Perhaps federal or state funding that was specifically earmarked for abortion? I really don’t know the answer…but I’m afraid that we may find out in the near future. I think the majority of the public is becoming less and less comfortable with unlimited abortion…but there are also some very loud and very powerful people with a pro-abortion agenda in our government.
As THE “OP”🙂

I’m hoping for a higher level of 1. Awareness that there exist a GRAVE Moral obligation for everytone; especially Christians and Catholics to take the peaceful action that is available to us.
  1. Don’t be indiffernt
  2. Vote out of OFFICE EVERYONE who supports abortion and same sex unions
  3. Replace the wih people who Know, Accept and will Do our GOD’s Will. Amen!👍
 
Abortion IS murder.

The Didache (teachings of the Apostles) written around 70 AD to 100 AD:

Chapter 2. The Second Commandment: Grave Sin Forbidden. And the second commandment of the Teaching; You shall not commit murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not commit pederasty, you shall not commit fornication, you shall not steal, you shall not practice magic, you shall not practice witchcraft,** you shall not murder a child by abortion nor kill that which is born.** You shall not covet the things of your neighbor, you shall not swear, you shall not bear false witness, you shall not speak evil, you shall bear no grudge. You shall not be double-minded nor double-tongued, for to be double-tongued is a snare of death. Your speech shall not be false, nor empty, but fulfilled by deed. You shall not be covetous, nor rapacious, nor a hypocrite, nor evil disposed, nor haughty. You shall not take evil counsel against your neighbor. You shall not hate any man; but some you shall reprove, and concerning some you shall pray, and some you shall love more than your own life.
 
Why is it that we don’t protest by the millions about abortion. Is it that we catholics see abortion as bad, but not as bad as a cold blooded murder?
Since it’s a Spiritual battle it would probably be better if we prayed by the millions…abortion is murder, to me there is no difference in killing a 7 month unborn child, than there is killing a 9 mth born infant.
Just because one is on the inside & the other on the outside doesn’t matter, it’s MURDER, John was sanctified in the womb, so he must have been pretty alive to God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top