Do Women Belong to Their Fathers Until They Get Married?

• Thread starter Thread starter Tina.Kamira
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would bet not only that very few Catholics have read the Council of Trent catechism but very few have even heard of it.
The universal authoritative catechism for teaching purposes is the CCC. Local catechisms may also be used but cannot disagree with the CCC.

The Church does not use that nowadays. If you go to any RCIA program on the planet do you really think they hand out or refer to the Council of Trent Catechism. Of course not. It is irrelevant if you think it is “suitable” I said the catechism which is universally and authoritatively used for teaching nowadays is the CCC and NOT the Council of Trent Catechism.

I say again how dare you question my faith. That is the height of arrogance.

Under Part II, the section regarding Matrimony, the paragraph titled “Duties of a Wife” (page 322 of the Baronius Press version):
“To train their children in the practice of virtue and to pay particular attention to their domestic concerns should also be especial objects of their attention. The wife should love to remain at home, unless compelled by necessity to go out; and she should never presume to leave home without her husband’s consent.
We also had a thread created over this very subject. One user even claimed that to not ask a husband for permission to leave was to emasculate him.
40.png
Wives Needing Permission to Leave the Home? Moral Theology
Hello everyone! I’ve been doing some reading on the duties of husbands and wives in marriage, and I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this. I’ve read that in the Catechism of the Council of Trent, it states that one of the duties of a wife is to not leave her home unless there is necessity and has her husband’s permission. This sounds absolutely absurd to me, because according to this logic a wife wouldn’t be able to go out with her friends for lunch (as it’s not a necessity). Was th…

Last edited:
You want to compare today to the 16th century? A time when I’d be stuck at home, with no chance for a university education, unable to own property of my own, and a time where in some places it was considered perfectly alright for my husband to beat me?

So women shouldn’t own property? Women who work are “abandoning” their families? The picture of where you are coming from is much clearer now.

Admittedly I can’t. But women could not own property and were barred from studying at universities.

I would have never converted to Catholicism had I not gone to university. I’d have never had the chance. Yeah, modern society has a lot of problems, but at least I can be Catholic and support myself so I can live my Faith in peace.

You asked if things really were that bad back in the 1500’s. What exactly was so bad in the 1500’s. I’d call never getting the Eucharist because of being raised Protestant and continuing to believe anti-Catholic beliefs as bad.

Last edited:
I’m an electrical engineer who attended Texas A&M University. We didn’t have time for that. We also have the largest Newman Center in the nation outside of Catholic universities and are very famous for the number of vocations we produce to the priesthood and religious life. I came in a liberal Protestant and left an overjoyed Catholic convert. We had over 10 people baptized in my RCIA class and about two dozen confirmations.

Things can be fine.

I don’t know if you are married or not but your comment would suggest that if you are married and had children you would not permit your wife to work.

I flagged this entire thread as it seems to have turned into a personal soapbox for one poster to endlessly advocate a view of women from literally centuries ago.

I can understand a difference of opinion expressed in a couple of posts, but when it seems like we have men on here regularly going on and on like this, it is not only unwelcoming to women, but a very poor reflection on Catholicism.

Yes it is. And my university, which also produces the most military officers outside the service academies via. ROTC, didn’t allow women to attend until the 1970’s. Granted, this was also due in part to the fact that military commissioning was a requirement after graduation, but I wouldn’t have been able to go and have the wonderful experience I did had that restriction not been lifted. Never mind how men felt about women studying engineering.

Last edited:
While it may be preferable for mothers to not work outside the home, it’s highly insulting to say that they aren’t taking care of their kids. Most families doe the best the can with the circumstances they are in. The implication of being neglectful or uncaring (and yes, that is what you are implying) is insulting.

You don’t like his view so you flagged the thread? Do you speak for all women? Does he speak for Catholics?

when it seems like we have men on here regularly going on and on like this, it is not only unwelcoming to women, but a very poor reflection on Catholicism.
Some people enjoy the back and forth discussion including women and don’t see it as “going on and on.” No one on here is being disrespectful. It’s ok to have differing opinions.

here but my initial jump into this was the blatant way in which many DONT recoil at this authority being given to a priest but DO recoil at the idea that it is given to a father or husband who should know better and love more the person the have this authority over.
Tbh all of that doesn’t really matter.

The main point is that the Church doesn’t teach that a father has authority over his adult daughter, and not over his son.

Anyone who disagree with it would have to present evidence to show that the Church actually teaches that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back