V
vicwestlad
Guest
No, these are straw men. Since you believe Moses and Elijah were in heaven (if I have you right), this isn’t a problem for you. I was talking to others who believed they were in Hades, awaiting Jesus’ rescue. I would find it odd for them to be “in bonds” in Hades, then taken out for a chat on the mountain and put back in. Seems rather fanciful to me. That’s all I’m saying.But, since you ask… let’s look at what the potential problems might be. Might it be that God is ‘hostage’ to the boundaries of his own creation? No, that doesn’t make any sense: God created everything, and so, he created the Bosom of Abraham. That being the case, why is it you’re suggesting that God couldn’t have allowed Moses and Elijah to appear alongside Jesus?
The Bible doesn’t state what Jesus, Moses, and Elijah were talking about. It only mentions Yahweh’s comment about being proud of Jesus. Despite your unwarranted contumely, here, I think it would be interesting to know what their little chat was about. Since you claim to know, tell me what you think they were saying. Feel free to put it in a form like this:If you read your Bible, you’d know
Jesus: " "
Moses: " "
Elijah: " "
Thanks.
Well the Catechism says it’s dark and shadowy:‘dark underworld’ is, again, an anachronism. You need to stop using descriptions of Hades in the context of the Bosom of Abraham.
Augustine also called it a prison and said they were “in bonds”. Doesn’t mean they were suffering. See next…“Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow Adam in his bonds and Eve, captive with him” (paragraph 635).
You continue to compound your sloppy error. I was responding to this statement of yours:LOL! No, they were in the Bosom of Abraham, not the ‘good part of Hades’. You should read what your interlocutor is telling you, instead of getting it completely wrong and backwards
Never said that. Don’t think it. Never said that “in bonds” means Moses and Elijah were in eternal punishment. You can’t find it because I never said it.Again, your assertion that saying that Moses and Elijah were ‘in bonds’ means that they were in eternal punishment is a crass misunderstanding.
Really, Georgias, when you make such a whopping error, and it’s pointed out to you, you should have the humility to admit you were wrong instead of doubling down on your lazy error.
Tell me then, do you accept that there was temporal extension in Hades?I’m not the one suggesting there’s nothing analogous to temporal extension in this context. Again… read what your interlocutor has asserted!
Again, you don’t seem to be paying attention. I’ve been clear that I think Matthew meant that Jewish saints who had died previously came back to life at the point of Jesus’ death and walked into the city and appeared to many. No evading going on here.Nice technique. I asked you how you interpreted it, and in order to evade my question, you ask it back at me.
The most popular apologetic I get from believers, by far, is “that’s not a good translation” no matter what version I’m using. Just sayin’. Anyway…Actually, that’s not a good rendering of the passage. The New International Reader’s Version isn’t one that a Catholic would utilize. You might consider the renderings in the New American Bible or the Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition:
Lol. So when the text says, “The earth quaked, rocks were split, tombs were opened, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised,” it means they weren’t raised back to life? Raised to what then, just the corpses raised out of the ground still dead? Not sure what you’re trying to say here but you might want to include a link to a respected scholar who thinks Matthew is saying they weren’t raised back to life when they were raised.The actual Scripture only says that they ‘arose’ (ἠγέρθησαν), not that they ‘were raised to life.’
I can provide you with links to lots of scholars who say that the correct interpretation is that they were raised back to life at the point of death but just that they didn’t actually go into the city till after the resurrection. That’s the generally accepted interpretation. Here’s a couple.
Robert Horton Gundry said:
Four revered apologists, including Walter Kaiser and F. F. Bruce wrote:Thus Matthew probably means that the saints stayed in their tombs for several days even though their bodies had been raised to life” (Eerdmans, 1994, p.576).
“The righteous dead are raised by the power of the crucifixion, according to Matthew, but they do not go into the city yet…They wait in their tombs until his resurrection occurs and then leave the tombs” (Hard Saying of the Bible, InterVarsity Press, 1996, p. 402).
Nice try. Now you’ve told me what you think might have happened. But I asked you what you thought actually happened. So, let’s here it.I think you encountered an atheist take on Mt 27:52-53, accepted it uncritically and without thinking through it, and have attempted to use it against us here