Do you pray the Liturgy of the Hours?

• Thread starter Thread starter penitentman22
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to say the Office of Reading sirst. But the Office of Readings can be said anytime from after Night Prayer the night beofre to before Night Prayer of that night

Someone showed me how to pray LOH when I was 22 - morning prayer. She also bought me the one volume, Christian Prayer book by the Daughters of St. Paul. I really like it and about 10 years after that I added evening and night prayer. It really helps to keep my focus on what is important in life. It’s been instrumental in bringing about changes in me.
At one point I was able to get the four volume set for $25, used, as there were lots of old copies around when so many left religious orders. But I couldn’t get the hang of it and ended up giving them to the friend that initially bought me the one Christian Prayer volume. But I do think it is best to have someone show you and help you to set up the ribbons. I need new ribbons. Does anyone know where I can get some? They are almost 25 years old now!!!

I am not very good at praying . So I thought that if I had an organized set of prayers that would help to get me started. I had heard of LOTH and had often seen the priests pray it when. as a kid , I helped my dad around the church. My wife has a copy of Christian Prayer but I couldn’t figure it out. My wife did not use it either. On these forums someone talked about Shorter Christian Prayer so I bought it. Part of lent was to start to use this book. Now I continue to use and enjoy it.
Now I want to move on and am especially interested in the Office of the Readings. So I just ordered the 4 vol. set of the LOTH and can hardly wait to get started.

Greetings,

If you want to explore liturgy hours(a test drive). You may want to try “Shorter christian Prayer”. It cost about $10. It has the 4 week psalter for morning and evening prayer. It does not have the other times of the day or Office of readings.

I give these out like candy in the parish. I have a group of High school kids praying on a regular basis.

peace

I thought I successfully posted this but I guess I didn’t since it is not visible. I had a question regarding the ordo for the Daughters of St Paul version. I seem to be able to find the Ordo for the more common Single Volume Christian Prayer but not the one from the Daughters of St. Paul. Does anyone know of a link? Thanks

OK, so I just got Volume III and somewhat familiarized myself with how the page flipping works (after having used liturgyhours.org for some time :dancing: ) in order to minimize confusion on Monday. However… to my dismay the book contains no music for the hymns! Or for the chanting of the psalms for Lauds and Vespers! Soooo… anyone know if I can get my hands on some kind of supplement or something that has the music for the hymns and chant tones? :whacky:

This thread hit me at the right time. I had saved an article about the LOTH a couple years back (okay, okay…1998 :whistle:)
and had recently found it. Then I read another thing about LOTH last week. Hmmm. Then someone mentioned it at the Catholic conference in Carson this weekend. :hmmm:

So…after reading this thread I am fired up and will purchase the set this week. I’m going to purchase the set because I won’t feel right praying at the computer, and, while it would be easier to purchase the short version----why not get the four volume set?

How much is cable TV per month? I spent $18 on a pizza the other night. I spent $3.95 at Starbucks this morning. If I would buy a music CD for 15 bucks, or a nice shirt for $45, or whatever at whatever cost, the cost of LOTH needs to be put into perspective.

I will come here for advice as I get started, friends. Thanks for this thread and all your responses. God Bless you all.

Yes I sure do and love it. I too was very confused at the beginning, trying to figure out what came first and what page, but after awhile, it get’s easier.

I was lucky, our Deacon had a class one night on how to pray the
hours and that really helped me. I am also fortunate to have a priest in the family who I can call if I get totally lost.

Hang in there and don’t give up. I also like the websites and they
show you the order!

:yup:

I started praying the LOTH about 4 months ago. I used Shorter Christian Prayer for the 1st few months, but then I moved up to the 4 volume set and I’m glad I did! Money is tight for me, but I’m purchasing one volume at a time. It is making a huge difference in my life. I strongly recommend it to anyone thinking about it, as it turns your whole day into a prayer!

God Bless,
Gary

40.png
bordertown:
How much is cable TV per month? I spent $18 on a pizza the other night. I spent $3.95 at Starbucks this morning. If I would buy a music CD for 15 bucks, or a nice shirt for $45, or whatever at whatever cost, the cost of LOTH needs to be put into perspective.
It certainly does put it into perspective. The pizza and coffee are gone in the day. The others will last longer, but the complete LOTH will last for decades if you take care of it. I have my leather set for about 20 years and it’s still in great shape. The publisher puts out an ordo annually and even has replacement inserts with the common prayers and ribbons (and I only just replaced those this year).

I’d love to learn to pray the hours. Here’s my special situation. I work twelve-hour night shifts, and sleep during the day, four days a week. When and how does a person like me pray the hours? Is praying 8pm, 12 midnight and 6am the same as 8am, 12noon and 6pm? The country song “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere” comes to mind. Maybe I can pray the hours with the church in Singapore or Australia?? 🙂 The flipping pages thing makes me nuts, but maybe that’s a patience/perseverence prayer in itself? 😛
Any advice helpful.
nianka

I’m a new convert, formerly protestant. I’ve been praying Morning Prayer daily, and evening prayer occasionally, from the “Shorter Christian Prayer”.

My morning devotional routine, when time allows, is to pray Morning Prayer then the rosary.

My question is, when time only allows for one, should I do Morning Prayer or the rosary? The LOTH is the OFFICIAL prayer of the church. On the other hand, JPII frequently cited the rosary as his favorite prayer, and I certainly admire his spirituality.

Thoughts?

I do Morning and Evening Prayer from the “Magnificat” magazine. It also has daily meditations, lives of some lesser known saints, and the daily Mass prayers and readings. I like it a lot.

Peace,
Linda 🙂

40.png
Cradle:
Soooo… anyone know if I can get my hands on some kind of supplement or something that has the music for the hymns and chant tones? :whacky:
You’re looking for the one-volume Christian Prayer by Catholic Book Publishing Co.

catholicbkpub.com/ONLINE_CAT/sub_default.asp?MC_ID=CM&SC_ID=CM1

It contains the sheet music for all 185 English hymns, and a supplement for chant tones, some of them by Benedictines.

I have the four-volume as well, but I regularly use the one-volume for the sheet music and the nicer liturgical illustrations.

40.png
callbr549:
I’m a new convert, formerly protestant. I’ve been praying Morning Prayer daily, and evening prayer occasionally, from the “Shorter Christian Prayer”.

My morning devotional routine, when time allows, is to pray Morning Prayer then the rosary.

My question is, when time only allows for one, should I do Morning Prayer or the rosary? The LOTH is the OFFICIAL prayer of the church. On the other hand, JPII frequently cited the rosary as his favorite prayer, and I certainly admire his spirituality.

Thoughts?
Welcome home!

This is my own personal opinion and preference, but I’m in a similar position as you are. I go with Morning Prayer, mainly because it is liturgical and, as you well cite, the Prayer of the whole Church. Since it is an official liturgy (although as laity, we pray with the Church, but not in her name as her representatives), the Office occupies a higher place than the Rosary, which, beautiful and powerful as it is, is still classified as devotional prayer (hence, no Rosary allowed at Mass, but there is indeed a provision to include the LOTH during the Mass.)

40.png
porthos11:
You’re looking for the one-volume Christian Prayer by Catholic Book Publishing Co.

catholicbkpub.com/ONLINE_CAT/sub_default.asp?MC_ID=CM&SC_ID=CM1

It contains the sheet music for all 185 English hymns, and a supplement for chant tones, some of them by Benedictines.

I have the four-volume as well, but I regularly use the one-volume for the sheet music and the nicer liturgical illustrations.
If you really want to have the music, be sure to get the regular-print edition. The large-print version has only the words of the hymns, not the music.

I’d like to get the four-volume edition, but I don’t think it’s available in large type.

Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

40.png
CarolAnnSFO:
If you really want to have the music, be sure to get the regular-print edition. The large-print version has only the words of the hymns, not the music.

I’d like to get the four-volume edition, but I don’t think it’s available in large type.

Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
Gee thanks. I didn’t even know that. Good thing I can read the regular-print without any problems.

40.png
nianka:
I’d love to learn to pray the hours. Here’s my special situation. I work twelve-hour night shifts, and sleep during the day, four days a week. When and how does a person like me pray the hours? Is praying 8pm, 12 midnight and 6am the same as 8am, 12noon and 6pm? The country song “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere” comes to mind. Maybe I can pray the hours with the church in Singapore or Australia?? 🙂 The flipping pages thing makes me nuts, but maybe that’s a patience/perseverence prayer in itself? 😛
Any advice helpful.
nianka
Again, personal view only. It’s not the same. As far as is possible you should pray the proper hours at the proper times. In your case, I would suggest praying Evening Prayer before you go to work at 8 pm, Night Prayer sometime before midnight, and the Invitatory and Office of readings for the next day sometime after midnight, and Morning Prayer at sunrise (I’m assuming your shift is 8pm to 8am). Strange to go to bed right after Morning Prayer, but, as you said, you’re in a special situation.

Of course you can pray the hours as you mentioned in your post (you’re laity, I assume), but the prayers won’t fit the character of the time of day. For example, thanking God for the beginning of the day doesn’t really have the right “feel” at 8pm, which detracts from the experience (which is actually a part of the prayer as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back