Do you think it's wrong for Catholic converts to watch protestant bible studies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cali-fornia. Proud new home of typhus and bubonic plague. That’s what our SJW state government has accomplished!(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Last edited:
the RCC essentially agrees with justification by faith alone (see section 3 of the document).
That is not an infallible document. It is not an official Church teaching and the Catholic Church does not agree with justification by “faith alone”.
 
Justification. Not sanctification and ultimately, salvation. Big difference.
 
Justification. Not sanctification and ultimately, salvation. Big difference.
"Justification is not only the remission of sins, but also the sanctification and renewal of the interior man. Council of Trent

With justification, faith, hope, and charity are poured into our hearts, and obedience to the divine will is granted us. (by God’s grace, not our faith alone)

Justification is conferred in Baptism, the sacrament of faith. It conforms us to the righteousness of God, who makes us inwardly just by the power of his mercy. Council of Trent
 
Last edited:
Many Protestants don’t subscribe to OSAS. Mainly the Calvinists do. And many believe in a process of renewal and progress toward sanctification. Let’s not lump them all together and demonize them, eh?
 
Last edited:
as an ex protestant who use to give Bible studies at church, no I would not recommend it. Protestants have only a.partial understanding of the scriptures.
 
Last edited:
Many Protestants don’t subscribe to OSAS. Mainly the Calvinists do
OSAS is becoming a very popular belief among evangelicals. I can say as an exprotestant every evangelical community I attended believed in OSAS.
 
With justification, faith, hope, and charity are poured into our hearts , and obedience to the divine will is granted us . (by God’s grace, not our faith alone)
And many would agree with this, too.
You seem to have a good grasp of Catholic soteriology. Protestant, not so much.
 
Last edited:
Some Catholics seem to behave that way, too. Or they think of the Eucharist as entirely salvific magic bread.
 
Some do, some don’t. The “New Calvinists” were all the rage. Now, not as big.
 
Protestant, not so much.
I am not sure what protestant soteriology you are saying I am not familiar with since I haven’t spoken of any, so I am not sure what would need to be corrected.

I am not sure if you were speaking to me about OSAS but I wasn’t referring to it anywhere. I realize that not all protestants follow it.

My point is we are not saved nor justified by faith alone. Nothing else. The Catholic church doesn’t teach that we are and neither does scripture as is clear in the book of James, chapter 2.
Or they think of the Eucharist as entirely salvific magic bread.
I am not sure what you mean?
puppson said:
So again, let’s not demonize them
It is not about demonizing them but if the theology is not completely truthful, it could lead someone away from the Truth of the Catholic church given to us by Christ and put a person’s soul in danger. This was the original point of the thread.
 
Last edited:
James 2 does not teach salvation by works. That is a misconception some Protestants have. I believe there can be essential agreement there.
Most importantly here, let’s remember that Protestants are also Christians. Many will get to Heaven. Let’s not demonize them. It will take a mighty and combined effort to defeat abortion and other horrors.
And that’s all I’m going to say about that.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Last edited:
Depending on what the topic of the study is, I have found several Protestant Biblical scholars helpful. In terms of upholding the historicity of the Bible and especially the New Testament, I have found several of them extremely helpful - Darrell Bock, Craig Keener, Craig Evans, Daniel Wallace, Ben Witherington, Craig Blomberg, Michael Licuna, and N.T. Wright, to name those I am most familiar with.

To be quite honest, for several decades Catholic Biblical scholarship suffered from an over-emphasis on the “historical critical” method which diluted the supernatural beliefs of the Bible and often seriously questioned the accuracy and reliability of the Scriptures, even the Gospels. Fortunately, we are in the midst of a new flourishing of orthodox Catholic scholarship. But in my opinion, we owe our Protestant brethren a debt of gratitude for upholding the historical truth of Scripture when Catholic scholarship was taking a skeptical view.

In terms of any Bible studies that focus on theology, it depends on what the topic is, but generally I would stick to Catholic studies to avoid any confusion.
 
Plenty of bad Catholic theology being promulgated around, too.
I agree many Catholics do not understand the faith and many twist it in ways to suit themselves, if that is what you mean. But the Catholic church is the divine institution given to us by Christ.
 
To be quite honest, for several decades Catholic Biblical scholarship suffered from an over-emphasis on the “historical critical” method which diluted the supernatural beliefs of the Bible and often seriously questioned the accuracy and reliability of the Scriptures, even the Gospels.
Hence the current low low low Christology attitude among many Catholic academics.
 
Last edited:
In terms of any Bible studies that focus on theology, it depends on what the topic is, but generally I would stick to Catholic studies to avoid any confusion.
Exactly where I am with it. That said, one of the more interesting of many online courses I’ve taken was one in Texas Baptist history. Old Sam Houston, finally giving up the bottle in his 60s (his wife nagged him for many years). Then getting baptized in an icy cold river. Love that image!
 
Supposedly when the preacher pronounced the Trinitarian formula and then said “your sins are washed away” Sam replied, “I feel sorry for the fish downstream.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top