Do you think the US should invade Iran?

• Thread starter Thread starter FightingFat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FightingFat

There’s a article in the Times today about American press releases being geared towards getting the American people ready for an attack on Iran. I guess once it’s underway the majority of CA posters will support it, but I wanted to get some feed back before the attack…Do you think the US should invade Iran?

Barring some major change in Iranian internal politics, an invasion is probably unnecessary. The U.S. and allied nations should step up support for the pro-West factions that are already clamoring for reform.

– Mark L. Chance.

40.png
FightingFat:
I guess once it’s underway the majority of CA posters will support it, but I wanted to get some feed back before the attack…Do you think the US should invade Iran?
So, just a question with no insult in it? I don’t think so. I will answer the first part of your question, and ignore the insult. I don’t think we should invace Iran.

I think the U.S. should invade Iran and every other country which has monetarily sponsored terrorism against the United States for the past decade, which also includes Syria and North Korea.

40.png
Fitz:
I don’t think we should invace Iran.
I do mean we shouldn’t invade Iran. I get to typing too fast and not checking.

I might add that Iran should think we would. It should always be a threat to those that allow terrorism within their borders. It should always be a threat to those that allow their people to be enslaved.

40.png
Fitz:
So, just a question with no insult in it? I don’t think so. I will answer the first part of your question, and ignore the insult. I don’t think we should invace Iran.
So you have noticed as well certain posters would paint as ghoulish warmongered vampires:mad:

I really don’t think we’re stupid enough to try that.

Logistically we’re already strained from Iraq.

Politically it’s a bad move to invade one of the region’s only democracies. Obviously it’s a weak democracy which is why the elected reformers haven’t made much headway, but an invasion would undercut them and turn a mildly pro-American population against us for years to come.

Finally, Iran could make things very difficult for us in Iraq if it wanted. So far they haven’t interfered much, either confident that a pro-Shii government will be elected, or divided within their own government on the issue. This reticence would evaporate upon US aggression.

Having said that, should the US choose to engage in such adventurism, I expect that it will be quite limited - going in, occupying a few towns for a week or two, with various special forces missions throughout the country, and then disengaging. If we can disengage at that point.

Kevin Walker:
I think the U.S. should invade Iran and every other country which has monetarily sponsored terrorism against the United States for the past decade, which also includes Syria and North Korea.
Now there’s a practical suggestion!!! :rolleyes:

40.png
Fitz:
I might add that Iran should think we would. It should always be a threat to those that allow terrorism within their borders. It should always be a threat to those that allow their people to be enslaved.
Good point. If we wouldn’t have backed up our words with actions against Saddam Hussein, no one would take us seriously.

I hope we don’t attack Iran, but I also hope we are willing to if necessary–and I think they know that. Otherwise, there is nothing to deter them.

People forget, or neglect, this aspect of Saddam–he snubbed his nose at us for over a decade, and no one would take our “or else” seriously if we didn’t eventually have a breaking point.

40.png
Fitz:
I must be missing something here. I only saw a one-part question, and zero insults.

I don’t think we should invade Iran until after Israel drops a few bombs on them, which appears to be in the works. Afterwards, there may be no need to invade them. Also, there is a good possibility that a popular revolt will occur before too long. Another reason not to invade at this time.

There’s no reason to invade Iran.

All we have to do is tell them if they provide a source of trouble for our troops, or if we discover that they have been financing terrorism, we will simply nuke every one of their cities with a population of 5,000 or above.

“We are clear of the target and RTB.”

40.png
digitonomy:
I must be missing something here. I only saw a one-part question, and zero insults.
Most that post here know that we are considered right wing war mongers if we back our president so the poster assumed we would all be glad to invade Iran. I don’t like the suggestion of that.

40.png
Fitz:
Most that post here know that we are considered right wing war mongers if we back our president so the poster assumed we would all be glad to invade Iran. I don’t like the suggestion of that.
I would like to add to that that if you look up some of the posters posts you will see clearly that this poster and others come in here to malign americans every chance they get.Furthermore, unless provoked I haven’t seen the posters here warrant an attack by bashing them.I do not think it is right either:mad:

Kevin Walker:
So by your logic, Britain should invade the US?

Something like 70% of Iranians strongly support the United States…it would be terrible to go killing our friends…friends that can help make Iran a better place if we give them the help they need. All war is terrible, yet in the case of Iran, we have many, many friends.

40.png
gilliam:
We do not need to invade Iran
No we don’t,but isn’t it interesting to see that some posters have us there already:nope:

One of the purposes of this Iraqi invasion was to establish a stable democracy in the Middle East so that it could serve as a model to others. But this is a long-term goal since it will probably take 10-20 years until Iraq is (hopefully) running smoothly. If we invade Iran before then then we are invalidating one of the only good things which I hope to see come from this Iraq war.

My goodness people, war should always be considered the very last option to be used only when all else fails. That’s part of the just war doctrine. I cannot think of anything which Iran has done to us to justify putting them through the same hell that Iraq is currently going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back