Doc Martin fans?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KCT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best shoes and boots I ever owned!

I only have 1 pair currently…

Oh, wait…

TV show?

Hmm…My mistake!
 
I am glad you bought this thread up we are probably getting rid of our dish and sticking to Netflix. We watch lots of Brittish shows but mostly the dark creepy crime shows like Cracker, and Reebus. I am breathlessly awaiting Downton abbey’ season two to show up on Netflix so I can watch when DH is not around.
I totally recommend it. We kicked out comast and the >$130 bill, got high speed internet for $29 and Netflix and Hulu for $7.99 each. We love it. I thought I could never live without cable, but Comcast pissed me off so much, that tipped me. Now that we are without cable for 4 months, we watch better TV, and save time not chanel surfing.

On Netflix, I found a great British series called 7 Up. It follows some kids from 1964, every 7 years to see what happens to them, that are all from different backgrounds.

We are almost done watching all Doc Martins.
 
I totally recommend it. We kicked out comast and the >$130 bill, got high speed internet for $29 and Netflix and Hulu for $7.99 each. We love it. I thought I could never live without cable, but Comcast pissed me off so much, that tipped me. Now that we are without cable for 4 months, we watch better TV, and save time not chanel surfing.

On Netflix, I found a great British series called 7 Up. It follows some kids from 1964, every 7 years to see what happens to them, that are all from different backgrounds.

We are almost done watching all Doc Martins.
7 Up is a great series, discovered it in college years ago, that was when they had gotten to 21 or maybe 35 Up. It’s very interesting to see what happens to all of the kids. I have it in my Amazon cart to buy. It really shows, to me, how stratified British society has been and in some cases, still is.
 
I thought it was about the shoes LOL

What a weird topic, maybe there is a modesty angle to it, I wondered.😉
I thought the same thing - “wow! I haven’t ever seen a thread on shoes on here - how cool! I’m so excited…oh. never mind.” 😛
 
Have you seen “Wallander” with Kenneth Branagh? It’s a very dark show, rather weird because the character was written as a Swede but in this case, everyone is British, but every once in a while a few Swedish words are tossed in. There are only 3 shows per season; last week was the 2nd so one more.

Wallander
We do watch a number of British films and series, including a new one, “Call the Midwife” a unique series set in the 1950s about a convent of nuns shared with young midwives attending in the poorest areas of London. More engaging than one might imagine, and one of the nuns in particular is a source of many chuckles with her out-of-phase wisdom.

The Swedish series starring Krister Henriksson is better drama (and less weird) and to my view, preferable even though requiring English subtitles, I have found. Wallander is in some way engaging in this series, as a hardworking but sympathetic officer. He doesn’t feel sorry for himself despite his wife’s infidelity and the later ‘loss’ of his daughter (with the actress’ suicide.) The long pregnant silent staring into the distance doesn’t occur in the Swedish series. Wallander might instead take his dog Jussi, inherited from a dead victim of injustice, for a companionable walk upon the beach, calling in for a friendly but unromantic (yet with undertones of a personal mutual attraction) visit to the resident female police commissioner who also shares the beachfront.

However, yes, we do enjoy Doc Martin, despite the occasional frustrations of the personality misunderstandings. When you ‘meet’ Doc Martin’s visiting parents the cause of his difficult nature become clear. His mother simply and blatantly hadn’t wanted him and believed his inconvenient existence spoiled her marital bliss with her philandering husband.
 
P.S.
Doc Martens received a lot of free advertising throughout this thread!!!
And they weren’t even trying!
 
Those are Doc Martens. The Brits would never write that name into a sitcom title, the Skinheads (violent white supremacist gang) wear Doc Martens.
DMs are worn by a lot more than skinheads - they were highly fashionable a few years ago and have been a mainstream fashion item for years.

Doc Martin is a very entertaining series, and there is a grain of truth in those strange locals! I like the forest raanger played by Ben Miller, with his large imaginary squirrel friend!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top