Donald Trump backs off Planned Parenthood defunding push

  • Thread starter Thread starter _Abyssinia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

_Abyssinia

Guest
Donald Trump on Tuesday appeared to back off his demands to defund Planned Parenthood.
After saying last week it’s worth having Congress shut down the federal government unless Planned Parenthood is stripped of its $528 million in government funding, the Republican presidential candidate changed his tune.
Speaking on CNN’s “New Day” Tuesday morning, Trump said that before defunding Planned Parenthood entirely, he would look at the positive aspects of the organization.
Read more: politico.com/story/2015/08/donald-trump-backs-off-push-defund-planned-parenthood-121267.html#ixzz3ibUpdSSj
 
breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/11/exclusive-donald-trump-trolls-his-critics-
**
Exclusive — Donald Trump Trolls His Critics Again: While Planned Parenthood Does Abortions, No Tax Dollars Should Go Their Way**
The hits keep on coming for the Donald.
In response to several folks seemingly misunderstanding what the 2016 GOP frontrunner said on CNN on Tuesday morning about Planned Parenthood funding, Donald Trump has issued a statement to Breitbart News exclusively that makes it crystal clear where he stands: While the organization conducts abortions, they should receive no taxpayer dollars.
That means Trump supports one of two pathways forward for Planned Parenthood: Either they stop conducting abortions, or they lose all their taxpayer subsidies.
He’s made a mess of this issue, it’s not the first time a candidate has done such. About last week, he did say he’d shut down the government if Planned Parenthood was not defunded. This was said by Ted Cruz too.

It seems Breitbart has a special relationship with both of these candidates; maybe I’m wrong, seems I heard this.
 
breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/11/exclusive-donald-trump-trolls-his-critics-

He’s made a mess of this issue, it’s not the first time a candidate has done such. About last week, he did say he’d shut down the government if Planned Parenthood was not defunded. This was said by Ted Cruz too.

It seems Breitbart has a special relationship with both of these candidates; maybe I’m wrong, seems I heard this.
But that is not what Donald Trump in that interview with Chris Cuomo on CNN. Some candidates may have said things that were conflicting or confusing on the issue of abortion, but many of them actually have a record so people can see how they have voted related to abortion.

In the Breitbart article you posted, they say ‘Donald Trump Trolls His Critics’ in the headline yet Breitbart.com itself had an article from John Nolte which was critical of Donald Trump’s comments in regards to Planned Parenthood on CNN: breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/11/trump-open-to-idea-of-continuing-taxpayer-funding-of-planned-parenthood/
 
But that is not what Donald Trump in that interview with Chris Cuomo on CNN. Some candidates may have said things that were conflicting or confusing on the issue of abortion, but many of them actually have a record so people can see how they have voted related to abortion.

In the Breitbart article you posted, they say ‘Donald Trump Trolls His Critics’ in the headline yet Breitbart.com itself had an article from John Nolte which was critical of Donald Trump’s comments in regards to Planned Parenthood on CNN: breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/11/trump-open-to-idea-of-continuing-taxpayer-funding-of-planned-parenthood/
I am well aware of this, this is why he issued a statement TO Breitbart clarifying his position, whether he can get out of this or not remains to be seen.

He was on Hannity and from what he said, you would think he was backtracking and said the good parts should still be funded and it was not clear as to the situation of abortion. I think I said somewhere that Planned Parenthood applauded his words, this thread or the other.

It is only to his credit that the first time around, last week, did he say the government should be shut down to defund Planned Parenthood.
 
I am well aware of this, this is why he issued a statement TO Breitbart clarifying his position, whether he can get out of this or not remains to be seen.

He was on Hannity and from what he said, you would think he was backtracking and said the good parts should still be funded and it was not clear as to the situation of abortion. I think I said somewhere that Planned Parenthood applauded his words, this thread or the other.

It is only to his credit that the first time around, last week, did he say the government should be shut down to defund Planned Parenthood.
Carly Fiorina has commented:

Fiorina slams Trump on Planned Parenthood

thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/250932-fiorina-slams-trump-on-planned-parenthood
 
Carly Fiorina has commented:

Fiorina slams Trump on Planned Parenthood

thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/250932-fiorina-slams-trump-on-planned-parenthood
Amazing…no one is talking about the fact that PP is under investigation for profiting off of the sale of fetal organs and for changing the abortion procedure for the sole purpose of obtaining organs, not to mention performing second trimester abortions without the proper licensing!

Let’s focus on mammograms and pap smears and sidestep the real issues. :rolleyes:
 
Carly Fiorina has commented:

Fiorina slams Trump on Planned Parenthood

thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/250932-fiorina-slams-trump-on-planned-parenthood
Trump obviously fumbled this issue.

It’s a bit like Gov. Scott Walker bumbling a bit on illegal immigration.

I think both candidates also showed they were not real familiar with the issue, this is a big negative with Trump with me.

Walker’s error gives me more of a mixed reaction. He was likely trying to do good and say the right thing originally. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin has tried to reform the immigration system. A lot of people have jumped on Walker about this. I can largely let him get by with it though I think it showed he was not up on the issue as say, if he were a border governor.
 
Also look at this part of the transcript with Chris Cuomo and Donald Trump:
TRUMP: I disagree with that. I am for the exceptions. You have the three exceptions, the health of the mother and life of the mother. I absolutely am for the exceptions, so is Ronald Reagan for the exception, by the way. There’s nothing wrong with that. You have to do it, in my opinion.
Now Marco took a very strong stand. I respect him for that. He believes that. It’s just a different thing. I am for the exceptions, yes.
CUOMO: Do you agree with him about when you have a person in the form of the unborn that should have a right to attach to them. He says at conception Roe v. Wade as you know, says 20 weeks. There are different theories that other people have. When do you believe that the unborn is a person and deserves the rights?
TRUMP: Well, I certainly think as the process goes along more and more, and a lot of people are talking about the 20 weeks and certainly there. Absolutely, as the process goes along, but I am a person that feels very, very strongly about, you know, I am pro-life. I’m strongly about pro-life.
But I also feel that you go with the exceptions, which, Marco, when I was there when he made the statement. A lot of people liked his statement. A lot of people didn’t frankly. I was in that room. It was a very strong statement he made. I respect him for it, frankly, but I don’t happen to agree. I am for the exceptions.
edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1508/11/nday.04.html
 
Also look at this part of the transcript with Chris Cuomo and Donald Trump:

edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1508/11/nday.04.html
In a nutshell:
  1. he thinks PP has become an abortion factory that should not receive government funding for abortions
2). He thinks PP should be looked at to see if they do any good for women, keep the good get rid of the bad

3). He believes there are times when abortion should be allowed

4). He finds abortion to be disgusting

He sounds very reasonable, don’t you think?

Obviously, abortion should never be an option, but most Amercans probably would agree with Trump on this.
 
In a nutshell:
  1. he thinks PP has become an abortion factory that should not receive government funding for abortions
2). He thinks PP should be looked at to see if they do any good for women, keep the good get rid of the bad

3). He believes there are times when abortion should be allowed

4). He finds abortion to be disgusting

He sounds very reasonable, don’t you think?

Obviously, abortion should never be an option, but most Amercans probably would agree with Trump on this.
But Planned Parenthood do not receive direct funding for abortion now, do they? How would Donald Trump want to change anything in regards to Planned Parenthood funding, based on his recent interviews, that is different from how they are funded now?

Abby Johnson:
Think for a moment how much it costs to pay for someone to perform the abortion, other medical staff for support, their health benefits packages and malpractice insurance to cover all of them, and then multiply it by more than 650,000
As clinic director, I saw how money received by Planned Parenthood affiliate clinics all went into one pot at the end of the day — it isn’t divvied up and directed to specific services.
liveaction.org/blog/abby-johnson-three-planned-parenthood-deceptions/
 
But Planned Parenthood do not receive direct funding for abortion now, do they? How would Donald Trump want to change anything in the way that Planned Parenthood are funded, based on his recent interviews, that is different from how they are funded now?
What Donald Trump wants, changes with each sunset. If the Republican Party wants something more than incoherent vaguely appealing shoutyness they have a lot of actually good candidates to choose from.

Most of his political positions (as was clear in the debate, and as he has said in the past himself) tend to be closer to Democratic ones. I don’t think it should be a surprise he has a rather politically pragmatic view of PP as much as anything else. At least he can articulate his inconsistency I suppose.
 
With all the duplications that exist in the federal government, all non-abortion services that PP offers could be sent to other agencies and cut off all funding to PP. Women would still have a good services that PP provides? and does not then fund abortion.
 
Amazing…no one is talking about the fact that PP is under investigation for profiting off of the sale of fetal organs and for changing the abortion procedure for the sole purpose of obtaining organs, not to mention performing second trimester abortions without the proper licensing!

Let’s focus on mammograms and pap smears and sidestep the real issues. :rolleyes:
Planned Parenthood doesn’t even do actual mammograms anyway. And besides we are all supposed to have health insurance now according to the ACA, so why would PP be needed for pap smears?
 
Trump obviously fumbled this issue.
One of the problems with being so outspoken is that over the course of a campaign, he is more transparent, and his position of abortion, for example will be fairly easy to see.
 
But Planned Parenthood do not receive direct funding for abortion now, do they? How would Donald Trump want to change anything in regards to Planned Parenthood funding, based on his recent interviews, that is different from how they are funded now?
Great question. I guess things are not as straight forward as some want us to think.
 
This is what I want to learn about Trump? Where are his loyalties?
 
Here is your answer on the Trump about-face:
Monmouth Poll: 49 Percent Oppose Defunding Planned Parenthood
Despite recently released videos that apparently show Planned Parenthood officials talking about harvesting and selling the organs of aborted babies, a new Monmouth University poll reveals that most Americans are opposed to cutting off federal funding to the organization.
And this is from Newsmax. Other more sympathetic polls report up to 62% support for PP. Trump is about winning and success. Remember that. The “I’m mad as hell and not going to take it anymore Trump” is a gimmick, a vote getter, as is leaving PP intact.

Trump is likewise distancing himself from Marco Rubio who said he (Rubio) opposed exceptions for rape and incest in an abortion ban. Trump says he admires Rubio’s position but doesn’t share it basically. (Personally I do think Rubio has to somehow back off - something like 75% of Americans support this exception.) Rubio needs to get himself to “I strongly support no exception but I will accept and support bans with this exception where necessary” - it is better than nothing.
 
I was so disappointed to hear Trump’s remarks on Hannity last night…Planned Parenthood doing “good things”…oh no, no, no!!

I wonder if ANYONE will EVER have the courage to stand up to this EVIL organization.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top