Dr. Fauci and those idiots!

• Thread starter Thread starter Zerge
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fauci has been all over the place with Covid. He seems to follow what he thinks is politically dominant, but usually after the debate has moved on.

Fauci has been all over the place with Covid. He seems to follow what he thinks is politically dominant, but usually after the debate has moved on.
He has been on the task force of SIX presidents. 'Nuff said.

He’s not God. He can be wrong. He can, and does, change his mind with unseemly frequency.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

He’s not God. He can be wrong. He can, and does, change his mind with unseemly frequency.
That is the hallmark of responsible scientists. They look at the evidence, and when new evidence becomes available, they take it into consideration, and change their theories.

That is the hallmark of responsible scientists. They look at the evidence, and when new evidence becomes available, they take it into consideration, and change their theories.
It can also the hallmark of careerists. What scientific discoveries has Fauci made? What “science” is he presently working on. He’s a bureaucrat, not a scientist. I have nothing against him, but making him a political god is misplaced.

It can also the hallmark of careerists. What scientific discoveries has Fauci made? What “science” is he presently working on. He’s a bureaucrat, not a scientist. I have nothing against him, but making him a political god is misplaced.
No one considers his any kind of “god”. Calling his a “bureaucrat” and denying that he is a scientist is just another Trumpian put-down. He could have retired a long time ago, but he stays on, for the benefit of the population. Calling him a “careerists” is a serious insult.

Last edited:
and insisted that Americans “are tired of listening to Fauci and these idiots” who have urged a more aggressive response to the pandemic.
Ironically, if one does a Google image search for the word “idiot”…

I didn’t say he is a careerist. I said that being inconsistent can be the mark of a careerist. The point was that your characterization of his actions may be interpreted more than one way. But he is a bureaucrat. There’s no doubt about that. What medical discoveries has he made? What laboratory is he working in and on what? Would “administrator” be better? A bureaucrat is one who works in a government unit, chiefly as an administrator. That’s what he is.

Yes this is true. But is it really seemly or productive for the President to denounce Faucci and his colleagues as idiots?

Is it worse than this? From the CNN article by Biden directed at Trump:

“They’re tired of your lies about this virus. They’re tired of watching more Americans die and more people lose their jobs because you refuse to take this pandemic seriously.”

I don’t know how anybody could have missed Fauci’s inconsistency over the last ten months. Sometimes he is with the president. Sometimes he’s not. Sometimes he thinks masks are our salvation. Sometimes he questions whether they do any good. Sometimes he favors even more lockdowns. Sometimes he says they do more harm than good.

Personally, I have come to ignore Fauci myself. I just don’t think he’s credible. Apparently, neither does Trump’s new epidemiologist. Fauci is an administrator; a government person. He’s not a scientist out there scientifically testing any of the vaccines or remedies. He administers an agency that has not covered itself in glory. But even if it had, he’s just not the authoritative source on the disease, (granted, not many people, if any, truly are) let alone on public policy aimed at simultaneously giving the disease as good a fight as we truly can muster, while trying to keep an economy going that provides food, shelter and heat for people.

I think Fauci has caught the “Comey disease”; that is, the desire of a government functionary to play both sides and jump on what he thinks is the winning one at the last second.

Fauci has been all over the place with Covid.
Fauci has been consistently following the science.
He seems to follow what he thinks is politically dominant…
He seems to follow what the science says.
He has been less wrong than anyone else. What seems like “changing his mind” to some is actually following new information and adapting to it - something that is a hallmark of good science (as Zerge already said.)
It can also the hallmark of careerists.
No, I think a careerist would be someone who likes the status quo, and so he gets an idea and sticks with it without bothering to check if new information should be considered.

Last edited:
What scientific discoveries has Fauci made?
Glad you asked:
Fauci has made important scientific observations that contributed to the understanding of regulation of the human immune response, and is recognized for delineating the mechanisms whereby immunosuppressive agents adapt to that response. He developed therapies for formerly fatal diseases such as polyarteritis nodosa, granulomatosis with polyangiitis, and lymphomatoid granulomatosis. In a 1985 Stanford University Arthritis Center Survey of the American Rheumatism Association, membership ranked Fauci’s work on the treatment of polyarteritis nodosa and granulomatosis with polyangiitis as one of the most important advances in patient management in rheumatology over the previous 20 years.[16][17]

Fauci has contributed to the understanding of how HIV destroys the body’s defenses leading to the progression to AIDS. He has outlined the mechanisms of induction of HIV expression by endogenous cytokines.[17] Fauci has worked to develop strategies for the therapy and immune reconstitution of patients with the disease, as well as for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection. His current research is concentrated on identifying the nature of the immunopathogenic mechanisms of HIV infection and the scope of the body’s immune responses to HIV.
Personally, I have come to ignore Fauci myself. I just don’t think he’s credible.
His is the most trusted voice on covid-19. But you are free to ignore him on seemingly ideological grounds if you like.
Apparently, neither does Trump’s new epidemiologist.
If Trump picked him, I’m not surprised.
Sometimes he is with the president. Sometimes he’s not.
And that is a bad thing…why?
Sometimes he thinks masks are our salvation. Sometimes he questions whether they do any good.
Wrong.

Last edited:
Sometimes he favors even more lockdowns. Sometimes he says they do more harm than good.
With varying definitions of “lockdowns”, of course.
He’s not a scientist out there scientifically testing any of the vaccines or remedies.
No, he’s already done that - in spades. Now he coordinates their work.
But even if it had, he’s just not the authoritative source on the disease
But he works closely with those who are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back