Drinking

  • Thread starter Thread starter YESSENIA1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Because this is your argument, then I assume that you are perfectly fine with alcohol consumption in theory, for example a non-alcoholic couple enjoying a glass of wine in the privacy of their home, or, more innocuous indeed, someone enjoying alcohol responsibly alone.
  2. That is certainly your right, but I also have the moral right not to give up alcohol simply because there may be someone in the vicinity who has an alcohol problem, so I fail to see how this line of reasoning is compelling on any level.
  1. right
  2. you see it that way…
 
You assume that some of us have not prayed or asked God about it… Sorry to tell you that I got a different answer than you.

I have some alcoholic relatives…and I’ve given up my “right” to drink…and I’ve enjoyed a glass of wine around them. You know what…it makes no difference in how they drink. And again…that is one of the things they tell you in Al-anon.
So you claim to posses a Divine Inspiration that in ALL cases everywhere in this planet every recovering alcoholic in every situation NEVER EVER gets tempted when they see someone else, a careful drinker, to take one beer/wine/etc ???
Wow!
I am being a little more careful
even to the point that I have declared that I will not drink
in order to support my friends (Brothers in Christ) with the problem
Yes…I know that it doesn’t seem to help in many cases
but I’ll do it anyway
I can be without a wife, without wine, without many things
and it is not always easy to give up on things but I do it anyway
Not to boast about it but just to show my Love towards my Brothers in Christ

You make your own decisions
 
Permissible, yes. Typically at dinner.
At least French people overdo it because of the liver diseases
It can be at anytime, although many choose dinner/after dinner.
The miracle that Jesus performed is an image (archetype?)
of the Heavenly wedding when we are exceedingly happy.
And yet Jesus produced actual wine from actual water. Are you stating that he was encouraging others to sin by providing them with wine?
  1. you see it that way…
Indeed, and how correctly I do!
 
And yet Jesus produced actual wine from actual water. Are you stating that he was encouraging others to sin by providing them with wine?
I’m stating that it was a very special case!
Have nobody explained this to you before
or are you just arguing because you like to argue?

Anyway - I leave the arena to others…
 
Speaking of wine, what is the wine that they drink after taking communion? That stuff is gooood. :o
 
I am being a little more careful
even to the point that I have declared that I will not drink
in order to support my friends (Brothers in Christ) with the problem
That’s a noble sacrifice. In fact, it’s a very Catholic concept to give up something good and offer the sacrifice for the good of others. But that’s a personal choice and has nothing to do with whether it is appropriate for Catholics or other Christians to drink responsibly.
 
So you claim to posses a Divine Inspiration that in ALL cases everywhere in this planet every recovering alcoholic in every situation NEVER EVER gets tempted when they see someone else, a careful drinker, to take one beer/wine/etc ???
Wow!
I am being a little more careful
even to the point that I have declared that I will not drink
in order to support my friends (Brothers in Christ) with the problem
Yes…I know that it doesn’t seem to help in many cases
but I’ll do it anyway
I can be without a wife, without wine, without many things
and it is not always easy to give up on things but I do it anyway
Not to boast about it but just to show my Love towards my Brothers in Christ

You make your own decisions
That is your decision but when you started this you made others sound like they were not good Christians because they saw differently. Was that divine inspiration to know the hearts of others?

Do you plan on not eating around those that have food addictions?
 
I’m stating that it was a very special case!
Have nobody explained this to you before
or are you just arguing because you like to argue?
No, no one has explained it to me before. I believe that is because it was not a special case. Jesus and his apostles explicitly had wine with dinner in the Gospels. What made the wedding at Cana a special case?
 
This was by far my favorite comment on the thread, and I read them all. 😛 Recommend me quality beer! My family only drinks the American trash, but I can tell we’re missing out. It’s only that I’m too young, 19, to buy it myself (I occasionally drink with the dad and uncle…we’re German also). Interesting (name removed by moderator)ut about masonry. I feel motivated to do research on it.
Yes - agree - it would be nice if they had “like” or “dislike” buttons so you could voice an opinion without having to post a reply all the time. Like this time… or that time… you know…

Tune In - to the Holy Spirit
Turn On - to Jesus Christ, and
Drop Out - of the culture of death…
 
So you claim to posses a Divine Inspiration that in ALL cases everywhere in this planet every recovering alcoholic in every situation NEVER EVER gets tempted when they see someone else, a careful drinker, to take one beer/wine/etc ???
I don’t think that’s at all what is being said. We can’t be worried all the time whether someone will be tempted by our behavior. If I go out to eat, should I worry that someone with an eating disorder will see me and be tempted? If I have birthday cake at the office, should I worry that a co-worker with diabetes will go off his regulated diet due to seeing me eat sweets? If I scold my children, should I be worried that a person with an anger management problem might see me and go home and beat their children?
 
I don’t think that’s at all what is being said. We can’t be worried all the time whether someone will be tempted by our behavior. If I go out to eat, should I worry that someone with an eating disorder will see me and be tempted? If I have birthday cake at the office, should I worry that a co-worker with diabetes will go off his regulated diet due to seeing me eat sweets? If I scold my children, should I be worried that a person with an anger management problem might see me and go home and beat their children?
Exactly…I think it went a little overboard. I think everyone agrees that asserting our right to have as many drinks as we want when we are dining with someone we know to have a problem might be a little overboard.

But if we start saying that a drink might tempt someone around us then we start to excuse their behavior and responsibility. It goes down a slippery slope - such as you made me drink…you made me hit you…etc. There is some responsibility that people who have those problems need to take.
 
Chimay is great stuff. 😉
There is no doubt Chimay is great stuff. I have brewed a clone of Chimay once. Very expensive ingredients even before you add the inverted hard crack dark sugar, but that being said it doesn’t suit my tastes. Of all the Belgian beers I like the Triples and Quads. An example of this style would be Three Philosophers Ale which if I am not mistaken, even though it is a Belgian style Triple, is produced in the USA. You certainly have to watch the Golden Triples and Quads though. The taste like very carbonated and flavorful American Premier Lager, but at 16 to 20% alcohol by volume will put you on your butt before you have time to realize you have drank too much.
 
I only became Catholic in April of this year, and I cannot truly BELIEVE that this church believes it is all right and not a sin to smoke. Are you kidding? REALLY?

Then what the heck did I give it up for in January? That was the toughest thing I have ever been through in my whole life. My Protestant brother has always, always, always told me it was a sin based on the way that it destroys the good, functioning body that God gave you. I gave it up 7.5 months ago for God. I did not want to quit, but I did, for my health but most of all for God.

I have seen many many posts here at CAF saying it might be a gray area, to smoke but only smoke in moderation… How many smokers in my 24 years of smoking have I ever seen smoke in moderation??? No one. Every smoker I have ever met smokes between a half pack a day to two packs a day. I was a Two-Pack.

I understand the line in the Bible about nothing that goes into a man’s body makes him unclean but two pack of cigarettes per day cause emphysema, heart disease, high blood pressure, COPD, cancer, etc, just as a half a pack a day can.

Do we really think that is not a sin? I’m lost. I sure hope I didn’t quit for nothing when all the time it wasn’t a sin. I see responses on here saying saints smoked and everyone smoked back in Jesus time. So what? Are we saying just because saints smoked or a lot of ppl did that it is not a sin?

I’m getting lost here. We all know what smoking does to our tissues and bodies and we are debating whether it is a sin?

I miss smoking all of the time, but my conscience sure tells me it is wrong and destructive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top