Duke Lacrosse Case Charges to Be Dropped

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean their reputation for having a party that included underage drinking and hiring a stripper? And no one ever denied that racial slurs were used.
I think what happened to these boys is terrible but lets not forget that they may have been innocent of the charges but they were not angels…they obviously placed themselves in a sinful situation and ultimately it lead to some very unfortunate circumstances…
Maybe now they’ll clean up their lives and live a little more morally.
Just my :twocents:
It is my understanding that some of the accused had as their alibi that they were not present at the time of the alleged incident.
 
You mean their reputation for having a party that included underage drinking and hiring a stripper? And no one ever denied that racial slurs were used.
I think what happened to these boys is terrible but lets not forget that they may have been innocent of the charges but they were not angels…they obviously placed themselves in a sinful situation and ultimately it lead to some very unfortunate circumstances…
Maybe now they’ll clean up their lives and live a little more morally.
Just my :twocents:
The young men were tried for rape, kidnapping. They were not charged with “racial slurs.” That is as presumptuous as anyone can get.

So, why weren’t “racial slurs” part of the indictment? We can PRESUME “no racial slurs” as well as “Racial slurs.” Your point is irrelevant. No ffense…merely getting perspectives in some kind of reasonable assessments.
 
The young men in question are legally innocent, as they did not break any State or Federal Law. Many are guilty of presumption (mostly presumption of guilt). Nifong should be most severely reprimanded and prosecuted. These boys are far from innocent.

No one in their right mind would want to have these boys date their daughter. They are guilty of no crime (not innocent) students who have a very defective moral formation.

The root cause of this train wreck is that the Duke Boys did not know that hiring a stripper was wrong. For this, I blame their parents, who paid “tuition in the school of life” in the tens of thousands to attorneys to teach their kids this little obvious fact. The Duke Boys treated this woman as an object of ridicule and seedy entertainment, dishonored themselves, their family and school while doing an apparently legal act. And this is not innocent behavior.

Had these young men received a marginally moral upbringing, this event would have never occurred.

One thing is certain, not one person party to this act is innocent even though no law was broken. Not one.

Money lost and kids labeled for life is the temporal punishment of sin, and we all experience this to a greater or lesser extent. The lawsuits will soon be flying, amplifying the punishment all around.

No doubt, Nifong should be tarred and feathered, Sharpton and Jackson once again shown to be racist hypocrites, the woman in question should be prosecuted for her falsehood, the 88 Duke Professors who pre-judged the kids guilt distained and so on.

Just do not say they are innocent. Say they broke no human law. I shed no tears for anyone involved.
 
The young men in question are legally innocent, as they did not break any State or Federal Law. Many are guilty of presumption (mostly presumption of guilt). Nifong should be most severely reprimanded and prosecuted. These boys are far from innocent.

No one in their right mind would want to have these boys date their daughter. They are guilty of no crime (not innocent) students who have a very defective moral formation.

The root cause of this train wreck is that the Duke Boys did not know that hiring a stripper was wrong. For this, I blame their parents, who paid “tuition in the school of life” in the tens of thousands to attorneys to teach their kids this little obvious fact. The Duke Boys treated this woman as an object of ridicule and seedy entertainment, dishonored themselves, their family and school while doing an apparently legal act. And this is not innocent behavior.

Had these young men received a marginally moral upbringing, this event would have never occurred.

One thing is certain, not one person party to this act is innocent even though no law was broken. Not one.

Money lost and kids labeled for life is the temporal punishment of sin, and we all experience this to a greater or lesser extent. The lawsuits will soon be flying, amplifying the punishment all around.

No doubt, Nifong should be tarred and feathered, Sharpton and Jackson once again shown to be racist hypocrites, the woman in question should be prosecuted for her falsehood, the 88 Duke Professors who pre-judged the kids guilt distained and so on.

Just do not say they are innocent. Say they broke no human law. I shed no tears for anyone involved.
I’ll bet that I am not the only person here who is guilty of underage drinking and going to a strip club in my youth. I would not have wanted that to become public knowledge and to follow me the rest of my life. There must have been times in your life that you committed a sin and would not have wanted it to become national news.
I am not proud of what I did but it was hardly due to lack of moral teaching at home. It was a youthful indescretion and I thank God it was not made into national news.
 
The young men will be enrichened monetarily for a book deal and very possibly a movie.
As if they need to be. They’re Duke undergrads, after all.

This may be unfair, but having seen what the Duke undergrad culture is like (as a grad student there), and having heard male undergrads talk to each other in the computer cluster about where “loose women” could be found, I think that this was a good lesson for a bunch of crass frat boys. I am glad that they have been acquitted, but I think they should be content with their vindication and not try to pose as martyrs. They were engaging in exploitative, immoral activity. When you do sordid stuff like that you open yourself up for all kinds of trouble. I can’t feel a lot of sympathy for them, frankly.

I realize that I haven’t been following the case that closely, so I’m not going to say that Nifong and others should not be prosecuted. I simply can’t work myself up into some fervor of righteous indignation over the discomfort and embarrassment suffered by a bunch of guys who are (call me a leftist for saying it) among the most privileged, coddled, pampered people in the world.

And let me make it clear: many Duke undergrads are very fine people–the Catholic student group especially (at least back in my day) contained some young men and women I’m very proud to have known. But there is an extremely degraded culture among the undergrads on campus, and the hostile reaction of many people in the community and even in the university was quite understandable (though of course injustice is never justifiable).

Edwin
 
As if they need to be. They’re Duke undergrads, after all.

This may be unfair, but having seen what the Duke undergrad culture is like (as a grad student there), and having heard male undergrads talk to each other in the computer cluster about where “loose women” could be found, I think that this was a good lesson for a bunch of crass frat boys. I am glad that they have been acquitted, but I think they should be content with their vindication and not try to pose as martyrs. They were engaging in exploitative, immoral activity. When you do sordid stuff like that you open yourself up for all kinds of trouble. I can’t feel a lot of sympathy for them, frankly.

I realize that I haven’t been following the case that closely, so I’m not going to say that Nifong and others should not be prosecuted. I simply can’t work myself up into some fervor of righteous indignation over the discomfort and embarrassment suffered by a bunch of guys who are (call me a leftist for saying it) among the most privileged, coddled, pampered people in the world.

And let me make it clear: many Duke undergrads are very fine people–the Catholic student group especially (at least back in my day) contained some young men and women I’m very proud to have known. But there is an extremely degraded culture among the undergrads on campus, and the hostile reaction of many people in the community and even in the university was quite understandable (though of course injustice is never justifiable).

Edwin
I am not certain that these guys are “among the most privileged, coddled, pampered people in the world”. They could be going to Duke on a sports scholarship. They were on the Lacrosse team after all. And if these guys were a part of this privileged culture at Duke why were they so quickly thrown to the wolves so to speak. It has been my experience that the rich and powerful tend to stand together much more and longer than us ordinary folk.
 
I think all agree that the men aren’t saints and the party wasn’t a venue good Catholic college kids should attend. HOWEVER, the key point to this outrage is not that college kids flirted with alcohol and strippers - that’s obvious and it’s also unfortunately what happens these days on countless college campi.

The issue is whether it is JUST for 3 students to be accused and virtually judged guilty BEFORE TRIAL by their university, the town, the local, state, national and global media, the Pop-culture, all before evidence proving this is shown.

We as a nation have not advanced much beyond the hysteria that led people to be burnt at the stake, we’ve just traded one form of racism for another, one mind-less reactionary mob rule for another.

We as Catholics have been on the receiving end of Media hyped scandals that were long on accusations and short on facts (not refering to the sex scandal here), so we should be more circumspect when this same Media Machine is unloaded on any group of people who they deem to be “non-protected minorities”.
 
Now that Al Sharpton has gotten Imuus fired for racist remarks, how long before the same standard it applied to Sharpton’s remarks in this case?
 
As if they need to be. They’re Duke undergrads, after all.

This may be unfair, but having seen what the Duke undergrad culture is like (as a grad student there), and having heard male undergrads talk to each other in the computer cluster about where “loose women” could be found, I think that this was a good lesson for a bunch of crass frat boys. I am glad that they have been acquitted, but I think they should be content with their vindication and not try to pose as martyrs. They were engaging in exploitative, immoral activity. When you do sordid stuff like that you open yourself up for all kinds of trouble. I can’t feel a lot of sympathy for them, frankly.

I realize that I haven’t been following the case that closely, so I’m not going to say that Nifong and others should not be prosecuted. I simply can’t work myself up into some fervor of righteous indignation over the discomfort and embarrassment suffered by a bunch of guys who are (call me a leftist for saying it) among the most privileged, coddled, pampered people in the world.

And let me make it clear: many Duke undergrads are very fine people–the Catholic student group especially (at least back in my day) contained some young men and women I’m very proud to have known. But there is an extremely degraded culture among the undergrads on campus, and the hostile reaction of many people in the community and even in the university was quite understandable (though of course injustice is never justifiable).

Edwin
I guess you don’t know all the facts. Wde should get indignate. If it could happen to these guys, it could happen to others. They will forevefr be tainted by the accusation, true or no. And I can’t buy the idea that Duke’s students are less moral than those on any other campus in the country.
 
I been wondering the same thing. Where is Al and Jesse now:hmmm:
Indeed. And where are the “professors” at Duke who took out a full page add condeming these boys? Could it be that these young people came from families that needed to be “put in their place”?
 
Now that Al Sharpton has gotten Imuus fired for racist remarks, how long before the same standard it applied to Sharpton’s remarks in this case?
Yeah. That’ll happen. :rolleyes:
Imagine the squawking if charges of false accusation were brought against the accuser
Sure. That’ll happen too. :rolleyes:
 
As if they need to be. They’re Duke undergrads, after all.

This may be unfair, but having seen what the Duke undergrad culture is like (as a grad student there), and having heard male undergrads talk to each other in the computer cluster about where “loose women” could be found, I think that this was a good lesson for a bunch of crass frat boys. I am glad that they have been acquitted, but I think they should be content with their vindication and not try to pose as martyrs. They were engaging in exploitative, immoral activity. When you do sordid stuff like that you open yourself up for all kinds of trouble. I can’t feel a lot of sympathy for them, frankly.

I realize that I haven’t been following the case that closely, so I’m not going to say that Nifong and others should not be prosecuted. I simply can’t work myself up into some fervor of righteous indignation over the discomfort and embarrassment suffered by a bunch of guys who are (call me a leftist for saying it) among the most privileged, coddled, pampered people in the world.

And let me make it clear: many Duke undergrads are very fine people–the Catholic student group especially (at least back in my day) contained some young men and women I’m very proud to have known. But there is an extremely degraded culture among the undergrads on campus, and the hostile reaction of many people in the community and even in the university was quite understandable (though of course injustice is never justifiable).

Edwin
Withholding exculpatory DNA evidence is malfeasance and criminal. It was a willful act to convict three young men that left no DNA on the “victim.”

The police lineup from which the "victim identified the three were ALL Duke students. There were no police in plainclothes in the lineup or others unconnected to the event. The lineup could also be grounds for the families to sue the Durham Police…it probably will be a lawsuit against the City. That is forthcoming, we can be sure.

The three lost aover a year of their lives being defended against a rigged prosecution.

Nifong and his lab chief are guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors. This is punishable by imprisonment. No one is above the law—or are some?.

Maybe if all of the folks APOLOGIZE to the three things may take a different turn. For the better!
 
Yeah. That’ll happen. :rolleyes:
Imagine the squawking if charges of false accusation were brought against the accuser
Sure. That’ll happen too. :rolleyes:
“Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy”

Not any “mercy” towards Don Imus. This was a golden opportunity to be a witness for Christ in showing mercy and forgiving a brother in the human family.

That has not been done…so far. But we never can tell; it could.
 
Yeah. That’ll happen. :rolleyes:
Imagine the squawking if charges of false accusation were brought against the accuser
Sure. That’ll happen too. :rolleyes:
In one article the state prosecutor said he considered charging her, but after reading the sealed records of her mental history he decided not to. Maybe that is a good way to leave it.
 
“It’s the seriousness of the accusation.”

“Three strikes and you’re out.” [some of the “participants” in this legal travesty may have prior convictions.]

And, possibly, if they had better legal representation … maybe Ted Kennedy’s attorney … none of this would have happened.

Let him (or her) who has never engaged in underage drinking cast the first stone.
 
In one article the state prosecutor said he considered charging her, but after reading the sealed records of her mental history he decided not to. Maybe that is a good way to leave it.
The accuser, allegedly, has mental lapses and is not reponsible because of them (lapses). This is what is being thrown out so to prevent legal backlash.

Now, here is a point or two concerning that kind of shield.

The false accusations were criminal, albeit, “mental incapacity” is at the root. This is supposed to shield the accuser.

There is such a thing as CRIMINAL INSANITY. If the law pursues her in that vein she could be considered a danger to the stability and peace of society. If, through pschological tests, she is found to be so disordered cannot she be institutionalized ?

If not, how does society protect itself from someone who can disrupt many lives by false claims?

Another aspect, and a more charitable approach, is to order the State to traet her for her disorder for as long as it takes to declare her fit to re-enter society.

Otherwise we can be seeing more of the same from this unfortunate person. She could destroy herself as well as innocent people.

She needs help and society is obligated to help her and at the same time protect itself from an inveterate accuser.
 
I guess you don’t know all the facts. Wde should get indignate. If it could happen to these guys, it could happen to others. They will forevefr be tainted by the accusation, true or no. And I can’t buy the idea that Duke’s students are less moral than those on any other campus in the country.
They aren’t. I am no doubt biased because I went to a Christian college and currently teach at one, and previously taught at a state university where the students were as immoral as Duke students but much less privileged!

I admitted that I did not know all the facts.

Edwin
 
I am not certain that these guys are “among the most privileged, coddled, pampered people in the world”. They could be going to Duke on a sports scholarship. They were on the Lacrosse team after all. And if these guys were a part of this privileged culture at Duke why were they so quickly thrown to the wolves so to speak. It has been my experience that the rich and powerful tend to stand together much more and longer than us ordinary folk.
You could be right. There’s a certain amount of class envy between grad students and undergrads at Duke (one petty issue–the administration took several parking lots away from grad students and gave them to the undergrads, even though grad students do not live on West or East Campus and are far more likely to need parking on campus. I’m not claiming that this is a just basis for my bias, just giving it as one example of the way grad students often feel that the undergrads are pampered because they are the ones contributing large sums of money to the institution). My attitude is probably sinful, and it is unfair to the many wonderful undergrads I knew at Duke.

Edwin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top