Duke Lacrosse Case Charges to Be Dropped

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I get the feeling I am debating one person with at least two pen names. Even the thoughts and phraseology seem to come from just one person rather than two.

Coincidence that mindsets are so in line with each other. Amazing and bewildering as well.
Believe me there is only ONE Thekla!🙂
 
Nobody is dwelling on status. But you cannot honestly believe that status cannot buy you better justice. If it didn’t, everyone would get their legal representation from the cheapest lawyer they could find.
It does seem to me that you are dwelling on status but that is just my opinion. Of course money can buy you a better lawyer. Are you suggesting that we scrap our current system and everyone must use a public defender? There is no such thing as better justice, it is either just or unjust, there is a difference between justice and law. If your son was charged with rape would you hire the best defense lawyer you could afford or would you go with a public defender? I know I would get the best lawyer I could afford.
 
Perhaps after you have been here for more than 5 minutes, you’ll learn who people are.👍
A rather smug remark to make to someone who is new to the forums. We should welcome everyone even if we disagree with them, that’s what makes for a lively debate.
 
Really? The men went through a year of pure hell. The ONLY reason they were charged is becuase they were wealthy white males. That fit them into the stereotype of everything that is evil as far the Left is concerned. The moment their finacial status,gender and race were revealed they were tried and convicted by the liberal establishment. can you imagine how they felt when the Elite faculty at their own school took out a full page ad condeming them?(and to this day refuses to aplogize for) Now that they have been cleared the Left still derides them “as rich white boys”.
Now Bob, I agree that their year seriously stunk, but do you really think that a white prosecutor only charged these particular men because they were “wealthy white males”? I don’t even know what their financial status actually was. I do agree that some members of the media made them out to be rich, privileged kids but how would the DA have any financial info on these people before filing charges? Are you stating that the white DA was prejudiced against other white people?

I find it far more likely that the DA saw a case that he thought would gain him some free publicity as being “tough on crime” and possibly some votes in his upcoming re-election bid and he used it. Just because the media and others framed the story like it was rich, privileged white guys abusing a poor black woman does not mean that was the actual reason the case was pursued.

We have no credible evidence that if someone of any race had been available to exploit for publicity that Nifong would not have gone after them for his own gain. I would love to look into his past prosecutions to see how much he courted the media. It is not that unusual for an elected prosecutor to want to try a big case and get free publicity for himself/herself. Nifong clearly has ethical problems that have now resulted in an investigation by the state bar. Hopefully they will take his license to practice law if he actually engaged in the misconduct that it appears he did.

As for the media/school/public figures jumping on his train wreck of a prosecution, well that was obviously some very poor judgment on their part. They may end up paying a price for it down the road, but it is a separate issue from what the motivation of the DA might have been even before the story got picked up by national media.
 
Now Bob, I agree that their year seriously stunk, but do you really think that a white prosecutor only charged these particular men because they were “wealthy white males”? I don’t even know what their financial status actually was. I do agree that some members of the media made them out to be rich, privileged kids but how would the DA have any financial info on these people before filing charges? Are you stating that the white DA was prejudiced against other white people?

I find it far more likely that the DA saw a case that he thought would gain him some free publicity as being “tough on crime” and possibly some votes in his upcoming re-election bid and he used it. Just because the media and others framed the story like it was rich, privileged white guys abusing a poor black woman does not mean that was the actual reason the case was pursued.

We have no credible evidence that if someone of any race had been available to exploit for publicity that Nifong would not have gone after them for his own gain. I would love to look into his past prosecutions to see how much he courted the media. It is not that unusual for an elected prosecutor to want to try a big case and get free publicity for himself/herself. Nifong clearly has ethical problems that have now resulted in an investigation by the state bar. Hopefully they will take his license to practice law if he actually engaged in the misconduct that it appears he did.

As for the media/school/public figures jumping on his train wreck of a prosecution, well that was obviously some very poor judgment on their part. They may end up paying a price for it down the road, but it is a separate issue from what the motivation of the DA might have been even before the story got picked up by national media.
Nifong was running for re-election in a city that is demographically tilted to the Black constituency. Add to that, Jesse jackson injected himself into the situation. This act galvanized the population to favor Nifong. IMO, he pandered. Nifong was re-elected handily. He was overly ambitious since there was only an accusation to go on and not a thread of evidence. While his office was deliberating to charge the Duke Three there were remarks from Nifong that he had sufficient evidence to bring these Three to trial. An accusation alone is NOT evidence, not when I went to school.
 
Nifong was running for re-election in a city that is demographically tilted to the Black constituency. Add to that, Jesse jackson injected himself into the situation. This act galvanized the population to favor Nifong. IMO, he pandered. Nifong was re-elected handily. He was overly ambitious since there was only an accusation to go on and not a thread of evidence. While his office was deliberating to charge the Duke Three there were remarks from Nifong that he had sufficient evidence to bring these Three to trial. An accusation alone is NOT evidence, not when I went to school.
I agree that an accusation is not evidence. I have plenty of experience in gathering the real thing in order to support a case both as a police officer and as an attorney. This was most definitely a case of overzealous prosecution on little to no evidence. However, my point to Bob was that I don’t believe Nifong was solely motivated by the race and/or supposed financial situation of the students. Bob said they were “ONLY” prosecuted due to being “wealthy white males” in his post which I think is stretching the facts a bit. I think that Nifong has shown by his actions that he is unethical and self-promoting, so why wouldn’t he just seize on any opportunity to boost himself into the spotlight regardless of the race of the suspect?

As to Jesse Jackson tilting the black citizens into Nifong’s favor. As I have stated elsewhere, it gets really tiring for people to assume that all black people love Jesse Jackson, abortion and Democrats. I cannot stand the man. I don’t find him credible and I never elected him to represent me or my family on any issue. I do not consider him a “black leader” and neither do my family and friends.
 
I agree that an accusation is not evidence. I have plenty of experience in gathering the real thing in order to support a case both as a police officer and as an attorney. This was most definitely a case of overzealous prosecution on little to no evidence. However, my point to Bob was that I don’t believe Nifong was solely motivated by the race and/or supposed financial situation of the students. Bob said they were “ONLY” prosecuted due to being “wealthy white males” in his post which I think is stretching the facts a bit. I think that Nifong has shown by his actions that he is unethical and self-promoting, so why wouldn’t he just seize on any opportunity to boost himself into the spotlight regardless of the race of the suspect?

As to Jesse Jackson tilting the black citizens into Nifong’s favor. As I have stated elsewhere, it gets really tiring for people to assume that all black people love Jesse Jackson, abortion and Democrats. I cannot stand the man. I don’t find him credible and I never elected him to represent me or my family on any issue. I do not consider him a “black leader” and neither do my family and friends.
I agree. Not all Blacks see Jesse Jackson as their leader. However, this issue was an emotionally charged issue that divided Durham on racial grounds…and the Rev. Jackson is most adroit at using emotions to his benefit. He knows the art of grandstanding…such as that “scolarship” for the “rape victim.” That is the most debased form of grandstanding. Maybe you’re right that Nifong was NOT motivated by race…but…that is where the votes were. This is low.
 
Now Bob, I agree that their year seriously stunk, but do you really think that a white prosecutor only charged these particular men because they were “wealthy white males”? I don’t even know what their financial status actually was. I do agree that some members of the media made them out to be rich, privileged kids but how would the DA have any financial info on these people before filing charges? Are you stating that the white DA was prejudiced against other white people?

I.
\

Without a doubt. it was an election year and he immediately started showing up at Black Churchs proclaiming how he was going to obtain justcie for this woman.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top